Departing Sony Europe Head: PS3 is '3-5 Years' From Dominating

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
yeah_so_no said:
I'm a PS3 fan, but I'm going to take anything coming out of the mouth of a Sony executive about how it's going to dominate with a whole salt lick worth of salt.
Ah, but there is a loophole in that thinking, the man is leaving Sony! :D
But he still was one when he said it.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I am pretty sure Microsoft will have brought out a new console in 3-5 years.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
The Ps3 already is dominating IMO. People said it wouldn't sell over a million consoles and would be a horrible failure.

Yet 23 million PS3 owners can't be wrong. It's not ahead of the competition, but it's in there.

If any of you were fans of the XBOX or Gamecube, you feel the same way. Don't lie.

Besides, blu ray is the future. If it wasn't, Microsoft wouldn't be trying to buy the rights to use it.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Pendragon9 said:
Besides, blu ray is the future. If it wasn't, Microsoft wouldn't be trying to buy the rights to use it.
Ah but there is the problem, the blu ray being a clear successor to DvD isn't necessarily true, as digital distribution is changing how things are distributed.

For all we know, it might skip blu-ray and go to a purely electronic file distribution method. Not likely, but a possibility.

And ps3 is certainly not dominating.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
The PS3 is already somewhat outdated, the ps1 and 2 were only successful so long after release because they became so cheap, and people were keen to support hardware they already had. This won't be the case for PS3, especially since the technology in in what somewhat unimpressive on release. I'd be very surprised if we didn't have completely new consoles 5 years down the track.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Arcticflame said:
Ah but there is the problem, the blu ray being a clear successor to DvD isn't necessarily true, as digital distribution is changing how things are distributed.
In my humble opinion, digital distribution will never ever ever fully take over physical media. Or if it does, it won't happen for a very very long time. Physical media has alot of room to spread its wings, mainly in how much space it can handle with things like Ultra High Definition [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video] coming some day in the future. Digital Distribution can only spread as far as the masses' PCs have gone, so if 40 million people (a number out of my ass) have "last-gen" computers, then there's nothing Digital Distribution can really do about that except tell everyone to upgrade, which I'm sure many people are reluctant to do.

The only thing Digital Distribution has on it is instant access, but you still need to install the game while most Physical Media games allow you to play right away. DD is especially good for indie titles and the short pick-up-n-play games, but not ideal for the full-blown AAA titles.

Physical media, such as Blu-Ray, and Digital Distribution, like STEAM, can only go hand in hand and will never overshadow the other.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I can't wear a watch.
It was always so bloody uncomfortable.

Anyway, yeah, I am watching episodes of [Scrubs] RITE NAO on my INTERWEB MACHINE.

No commercials, neither.
It plays games, gets me my news, and lets me watch TV.
The only thing missing is a revolver dispenser.
Seriously, your PC doesn't even have a revolver dispenser? Those things are already old. I've upgrade mine with an all-in-one dispenser, everything from knives to helicopters. You need to upgrade more.

OT: Well then no one should buy a PS3 until 3-5 years from now. That way, they'll have a dominant console, and it will probably be half its current price. And that's if his prediction comes true.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
[quote/]And ps3 is certainly not dominating.[/quote]

Yeah, I exaggerated in that post.

I meant to say it's not failing. If it was failing, they would've stopped making them.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
The 3-5 years statement is a little ridiculous (seeing as that's the average lifespan of a console), but at the moment I'm satisfied with my Black Beauty. Ultimately, the whole "Console Wars" are just people speculating on consoles they don't have, it seems.

I don't have an Xbox, but seeing as I already have a Playstation 3, I wouldn't need one. See how it works?

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Jumplion said:
Arcticflame said:
In my humble opinion, digital distribution will never ever ever fully take over physical media. Or if it does, it won't happen for a very very long time. Physical media has alot of room to spread its wings, mainly in how much space it can handle with things like Ultra High Definition [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video] coming some day in the future. Digital Distribution can only spread as far as the masses' PCs have gone, so if 40 million people (a number out of my ass) have "last-gen" computers, then there's nothing Digital Distribution can really do about that except tell everyone to upgrade, which I'm sure many people are reluctant to do.

The only thing Digital Distribution has on it is instant access, but you still need to install the game while most Physical Media games allow you to play right away. DD is especially good for indie titles and the short pick-up-n-play games, but not ideal for the full-blown AAA titles.

Physical media, such as Blu-Ray, and Digital Distribution, like STEAM, can only go hand in hand and will never overshadow the other.
I agree. But physical "data drives" as a distribution method is what I was driving at. Not at all likely, but that's what I meant.

I think I was rather sleep deprived when I made my post, because I disagree with myself on reflection.

I don't ever think physical distribution will stop. And blu-ray will be a ton cheaper than other forms of physical distribution.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
By that time, the PS3 will most likely get a price-cut since it will 'most likely' get enough units sold to be able to do so. Though, what the hell are the chances of any of these consoles last 3 more years at least?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I think what alot of us are thinking is: Sony doesn't have 3-5 years.

They're thinking in the glacial timeframes of corporate strategy, while their customers are thinking "SHINY NEW THING!" just like they've been taught to.

They've already had three years, and I can't honestly see a six year old console "dominating.", maybe "competing", but the PS3 is not what the PS2 was, and I don't think it's lifespan is truly that epic. I LIKE the PS3, but Sony sounds delusional on the subject (granted, they HAVE to keep up a good front.)