Department of Defense Cancels Left Behind: Eternal Forces Plan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Department of Defense Cancels Left Behind: Eternal Forces Plan

The Left Behind: Eternal Forces [http://www.defenselink.mil/] to American troops stationed in Iraq.

The cancellation followed an ABC News inquiry into the Pentagon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/75856]with regards to freedom of religion for more than just a few days."

Operation Start Up President Johnathan Spinks drew criticism recently for his comments on the program when he wrote on the organization's website, "We feel the forces of heaven have encouraged us to perform multiple crusades that will sweep through this war-torn region. We'll hold the only religious crusade of its size in the dangerous land of Iraq."

The plan to include the game came under fire from multiple sources almost as soon as it was uncovered. Critics claimed it violated constitutional provisions regarding religion and was unnecessarily and overtly provocative. Based on the MobyGames [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind_%28series%29].

gcason

May 15, 2007
Regardless of religious preference, I find it a little chilling that the DoD was pressured to stop the distribution of a game to the troops. If the game was REQUIRED, they would have a point. Giving it away to be played or not played is totally different. Does that mean bibles can't be distributed? What about the Koran or the Torah?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
The issue that was pointed out (shared by myself and one or two others) when the initial inclusion of the game was posted on the site, was the DoD approval stamp on the package. Nobody is stopping a secondary organization from donating whatever they want to soldiers in Iraq... but, the DoD, and the Armed Forces, should not be engaging in what could be seen as evangelical behavior. Heck, stick it in the PX/BX of your average base, with a big sign saying who donated it. But, imho, they should not be doing anything that could make it look like "Alright soldier, here's your standard issue camo, vest, weapon, and Christian conversion game."

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
When we sent our troops games that nobody in the US wants to play, that's when we know the terrorists have won.

jinxmchue

Aug 10, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
The issue that was pointed out (shared by myself and one or two others) when the initial inclusion of the game was posted on the site, was the DoD approval stamp on the package. Nobody is stopping a secondary organization from donating whatever they want to soldiers in Iraq... but, the DoD, and the Armed Forces, should not be engaging in what could be seen as evangelical behavior. Heck, stick it in the PX/BX of your average base, with a big sign saying who donated it. But, imho, they should not be doing anything that could make it look like "Alright soldier, here's your standard issue camo, vest, weapon, and Christian conversion game."
But giving them Bibles is okay by you? I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
My original qualm, which I'm sticking to, is the DoD sponsorship of the package. If the DoD is handing out Bibles along with the camo, kevlar vests, weapons, and Christian conversion games, then I would take issue with that. If you can point out a source which lists everything the OSU had put together, which the DoD then stamped/approved, which includes a Bible, then I would be HAPPY to begin complaining about it. All I've seen so far on this story mentions the game. Alternatively, if you want to point out a separate instance from the current OSU package being discussed, with the DoD Stamp of Approval, which included a Bible, I'd be glad to complain about that as well.

Really, my point is, you don't hear anyone complaining about it, because UNTIL you enter the evidence requested into the conversation, the Bible isn't (and wasn't) pertinent to the discussion. You also don't hear anyone complaining about moose-flavored lollipops. But, for some reason, I'm not surprised by those complaints' absence, either.

To answer your question directly: Anyone is free to give them Bibles, except their bosses. 'tis still a free country, with separation of church and state, at least, for the moment.