Deponia Studio Unveils Blackguards

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deponia Studio Unveils Blackguards

Daedalic Entertainment is taking a run at the RPG genre with a dark, turn-based game starring a convicted murderer.

If the name Daedalic makes you think about anything at all, it's probably light-hearted point-and-click adventure games like Edna and Harvey [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9864-Deponia-Review]. But the studio will soon branch out into something a little different: a turn-based fantasy RPG entitled Blackguards.

Blackguards will boast a "significantly darker" story than previous Daedalic releases, putting players in the boots of a convicted murderer wandering through the fantasy realm of Aventuria. And yes, that would the same Aventuria featured in the popular German role-playing game The Dark Eye, probably best known to videogamers as the setting of last year's Daedalic adventure The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav.

They'll be accompanied on their travels by companions of low moral fiber and dubious loyalty, including a drug-addicted half-elf and a lecherous wizard. Homicidal history notwithstanding, players will (as usual) have to save the world from an evil menace while grappling with tough moral conundrums that can directly impact the course of the game and the fates of its denizens.

[gallery=1209]

Daedalic claims that Blackguards will offer elaborate 3D environments, more than 170 "individually crafted battle maps" and a host of "major and minor" quests adding up to more than 40 hours of total gameplay time. And while there's almost nothing of it to see right now - the Blackguards website currently redirects to Daedalic.de [http://www.daedalic.de/en/Game/Blackguards] - Daedalic's history in the adventure genre leaves me guardedly optimistic.

Blackguards is being developed for the PC. No release date has been set.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait-wait-wait...

"Adventuria"?

Is this one of those taking-the-piss games? Y'know, like Bard's Tale or that Book of Unwritten Tales thing?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The image with the wolf is... different.

Talk about low moral fiber.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
thiosk said:

"Oh! Ohh! What large... teeth you have Mister Wolf!"

Yeah, I'm a terrible person.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Hm. While I will say that this sounds like my cup of tea, I am slightly worried if the studio is up to the task. Seeing as I've only played the Deponia games so far, my impression of them is that they are dang good at adventure games, humor, characters, and little else. It seems like quite a big leap to make a dark, turn-based game based on a German pen-and-paper fantasy RPG.

Also, I'm still waiting for the third Deponia game, "Goodbye Deponia". I'll save my enthusiasm for afterwards.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Vie said:
thiosk said:

Oh thank god, it's not just me.
I can't un-see this now!

This actually sounds quite interesting, I like Dark Fantasy and western turn-based RPGs are a pretty thin on the ground at the moment.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zhukov said:
Wait-wait-wait...

"Adventuria"?

Is this one of those taking-the-piss games? Y'know, like Bard's Tale or that Book of Unwritten Tales thing?
Aventuria has actually been around for years. It's kind of like the German version of Faerun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aventuria#Aventuria [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aventuria#Aventuria]

Turbowombat

Apr 23, 2008
My only question is this: Are they pronouncing Blackguard correctly? Because it's not pronounced blak-gahrd as everyone seems to think.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
The wolf on top of that women just looks wrong. I blame my exposure to rule 34-ish content on the internet for seeing it in such a way.

anyway the game sounds like it could be interesting. I hope the game will be well executed because I really like games that pull off moral choices successfully.