Desert Bus for Hope Charity Videogame Marathon Starts Tonight

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Desert Bus for Hope Charity Videogame Marathon Starts Tonight

Folks from LoadingReadyRun are revving up the engines for their third annual Desert Bus for Hope charity event, a fundraiser in which all proceeds go to the Child's Play organization, and they keep driving in Desert Bus for as long as donations come in. Last year, the event lasted five days, let's make sure it's longer this time!

The folks at LoadingReadyRun will be driving the Desert Bus for Hope starting November 20th at 6 pm PST. The crew will be driving the virtual Desert Bus for as long as donations come in. Last year, they drove for five days straight and raised $70,423. All proceeds go directly to Child's Play, a charity that donates over a million dollars to children's hospitals worldwide every year.

Desert Bus, is a videogame in which the entire point is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time. The entire journey takes about eight hours to complete. When you reach Las Vegas, you have the opportunity to return to Tucson. You can repeat this sequence for as long as your endurance holds out. Because the bus veers slightly to the right, a player must be at the controls at all times to make sure it stays on track and isn't towed back to Tucson (also in real time). It's an incredibly boring game, but the stalwart members of LoadingReadyRun are ready to endure it for as long as necessary in order to raise money for Child's Play!

The Escapist would like to show their support by having our community members become passengers on a virtual Desert Bus. Simply select a ticket to what you think will be the last stop on the Desert Bus 2009 tour - Tucson or Las Vegas - and if the Desert Bus for Hope journey ends at your selected location, you will receive a shiny, new badge! To select your destination, click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/desertbus09]!

For more information on the Desert Bus for Hope fundraiser, or to make a donation, go by clicking here [http://desertbus.org/].

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Furburt said:
Good for them. It's the one charity I can get behind. I'll contribute when the credit card deposit comes through.
Make sure you get on the bus with us. That part is fun too! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/desertbus09

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Even more amusing than the Mario Marathon because it's awesome people playing a boring game, instead of boring people playing an awesome game.

I kid, of course. Anyone willing to play games for days on end in order to raise money is alright in my book. I'm looking forward to this.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Seeing how my Laptop is screwing with me, I have to ask. Has this started yet and is my connection just rubbish or is it right that the live streams are still offline?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
They start driving in a little over 3 hours from the time shown on this post.

Feb 13, 2008
paulgruberman said:
Dammit. That's 2am on a Saturday for us Brits. My best wishes but I'll have to catch you later, I'm working in the morning.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The_root_of_all_evil said:
paulgruberman said:
Dammit. That's 2am on a Saturday for us Brits. My best wishes but I'll have to catch you later, I'm working in the morning.
They will still be driving when you wake up, I assure you. So far the drive is scheduled to last 88 hours.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Wait, so they are going for 88 hours, even if no one else donates from this point on? That's three and a half days. I don't think I'm understanding this right...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
paulgruberman said:
best of luck to them, I gave to their cause last year and i'm embaressed that I don't have a bank acount to give money to them this year... but I do wish them the best of luck in making more money this year.

GO DESERT BUS !! GO!

Feb 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
paulgruberman said:
They will still be driving when you wake up, I assure you. So far the drive is scheduled to last 88 hours.
Cool, I'll poke my head in in the morning then :)

And, I've dropped a little money in the kitty because I won't be there to wave them off. :)

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Samuel_of_Saruan said:
Seeing how my Laptop is screwing with me, I have to ask. Has this started yet and is my connection just rubbish or is it right that the live streams are still offline?
The actual event starts at 6PM PST.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
paulgruberman said:
Russ Pits, editor of the Escapist, Slave driver of everything.

.... Sorry, no offence meant I swear!

Yaxley

Sep 23, 2009
Nimbus said:
Wait, so they are going for 88 hours, even if no one else donates from this point on? That's three and a half days. I don't think I'm understanding this right...
Heck, they went for 125 hours straight last year. 88 is nothing. It'll be more than 88 though, once more donations come in.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
I'm only concerned if i made the right guess that they are going to end in Tuscon :D

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
ColdStorage said:
Russ Pitts said:
paulgruberman said:
Russ Pits, editor of the Escapist, Slave driver of everything.

.... Sorry, no offence meant I swear!
Get back to work! /whipcrack

PartyMonkey

Jun 26, 2009
Gonna be watching my first Desert Bus...and I am gonna miss a day due to work.

Ah well nothing will happen.

osric90

Sep 14, 2009
Hoping so much that the university network will allow me to stay watching for as long as possible.