Desert Bus For Hope Passes $2 Million Lifetime Donations

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Desert Bus For Hope Passes $2 Million Lifetime Donations

LoadingReadyRun's annual charity drive has raised another $240,000 (and counting) for Child's Play.

When sketch comedy group LoadingReadyRun started an impromptu broadcast of its members playing Desert Bus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/desert%20bus] in 2007, it raised $23,000 for gaming-related charity Child's Play. Since then, the Desert Bus playthrough has become an annual fundraising event, with special guests taking the wheel throughout the multi-day marathon--it goes on as long as people keep donating. LRR is 75 hours into its eighth annual bus-driving jaunt through the desert and has already raised over $240,000, bringing the event's lifetime total to over $2 million in donations.

Each year of Desert Bus for Hope's existence has brought in more money than the previous one, so if the trend continues, expect to see the 2013 total of $523,520 toppled. While gaming nonstop might sound like a fun time, keep in mind that Desert Bus is extremely tedious to play (but fun to watch other people play). Desert Bus is a mini-game from Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors, a Sega CD game that never actually made it to the market and is literally exactly what it sounds like: an eight-hour ride from Arizona to Las Vegas that puts the player in control of an unreliable virtual bus. Or, as the organization's website puts it [http://desertbus.org/about/], "the worst video game ever made."

The LoadingReadyRun crew and their guests have been driving for more than three days, with the donations required to keep the bus going increasing every hour and prizes given out throughout the run. The proceeds will support tune in and donate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/childs%20play] to a good cause; you might even win something cool while you're at it.

Source: Desert Bus [https://desertbus.org/blog/2014/11/17/the-gif-says-it-all/]

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Go LRR! And let's not forget everyone else that sponsors, helps organize, donates crafts and prizes and volunteers for this awesome cause. What incredible dedication they all demonstrate. Plus they're such good sports in indulging the whims of viewers by completing challenges, it's honestly a very fun stream to watch. I always make a point of watching at least a couple of hours each day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch some Canadians drive a bus from Tucson to Las Vegas.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Been trying to watch as much of Desert Bus as possible (as the avatar may give away), and luckily got to saw this moment live.

Highly encourage anyone to tune in. It's great :D

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
BUS YEAH!

So much school and life right now is keeping me from watching it as much as I want to but I do flick on the stream in my off moments. It's worth it!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Those poor bastards, but hell congrats to LRR for their overall success in suffering for charity. Intestinal fortitude, they embody that definition.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
And so, they were never allowed to leave the game room again...but for a good cause.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
I look forward to this each year, and I love how most of the segments are now uploaded to YouTube. Wanted to see a call-in guest but had to work? It's there! Missed an auction? Watch the barbs get thrown around whenever you want. Can't figure out how a meme formed while you were asleep? It's in there! Beyond that, the crafts, the limited edition giveaways/auctions, and the general goofiness of over-tired comedians all comes together in a yearly ball of ... something. I wouldn't miss it for anything... except sleep. Speaking of which... Zzzz.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Been trying to watch as much of Desert Bus as possible (as the avatar may give away), and luckily got to saw this moment live.

Highly encourage anyone to tune in. It's great :D
Engineerings reaction to that moment was also priceless.

been watching when i have free time as well, sadly work is work. so mostly the weekend stream.

GUess there will be a lot of catching up to do on youtube this year (somehow i managed to watch far more last year)

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I watched it way back in 2007 and 2008. It got a bit stale though (and I'l be honest, LRR just isn't my thing) and I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the charity chosen..

..However, I still think that their initiative is awesome - it is still a good purpose for the money - and congrats on the bucks raised for charity. I hope you can manage many more years :)