Deskimus Prime Skips A Beat with Katawa Shoujo

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
Amazing review.

I downloaded it the day it came out, and I haven't been able to tear myself away from it since...except to play Katawa+Crash (I got past 100,000m!) This game has done things for and to me that no other game has ever done, and the characters are just so well realized that I sometimes forget that they're fictional. Needless to say I'm very sad that there isn't any more, especially seeing as I've practically committed the entire game to memory.

Also, I think I might actually be in love with Lilly...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I think the review is a little excessive in length. I typically write reviews for tvtropes, and they enforce a strict 400 word limit: it is often agonizing to fit a full opinion in that small a space, but I think that 500 words or so is a good rule of thumb. That is a personal view though, and as most of the reviews on the escapist go on for pages, it obviously isn't one that is shared by many.

Besides the length, I think it is a very comprehensive review. I didn't like Katawa Shoujo myself, but I think you made a convincing case for it.

tmdude

Sep 20, 2008
Simply Awesome review, I couldn't agree more. I've played every storyline except Rin's and they are all great. Personally I like Emi the best. More people need to try this GAME!

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
maninahat said:
I think the review is a little excessive in length. I typically write reviews for tvtropes, and they enforce a strict 400 word limit: it is often agonizing to fit a full opinion in that small a space, but I think that 500 words or so is a good rule of thumb. That is a personal view though, and as most of the reviews on the escapist go on for pages, it obviously isn't one that is shared by many.

Besides the length, I think it is a very comprehensive review. I didn't like Katawa Shoujo myself, but I think you made a convincing case for it.
Heh, I was waiting for someone to call me out on the length.

Frankly, I wouldn't consider what I wrote to be a review. More like a love confession. Or just an attempt to convince others to play this game. An appeal maybe? Shilling? It's free, so it's not like it's viral marketing. I dunno what you call these. In any case, I felt pretty strongly about it - as you can probably tell - and didn't want to stop writing until I felt I'd done a good enough job of convincing the average Joe McDoesn'tPlayVisualNovels. I didn't really think you could explain in 500 words or less why someone who ordinarily plays, say, FPSes or MMOs that they should drop everything to fire up a disabled love story.

Tried to keep the writing amusing, the intro snappy and break up the walls o' text with pretty pictures to keep people's interest, but I should really rein myself in sometimes. Thanks for the advice.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
TheWeis said:
I need opinions: Can I recommend this to female friends?
Depends on whether you want them to ever look at you again, untainted by the thought that "oh god, he wants to cut off my legs, doesn't he..."

In all seriousness, I'm not sure. While the focus is really about relationships themselves and not the girls, the girls are definitely a very very major part of the story. And most of the immersion comes from the fact that you are putting yourself in (or shaking your fists angrily at) Hisao's place. Which might not work for those of the female persuasion. Or it might. It's not like women don't read books where the main character is a dude, but in something like a visual novel, it's more of an...intimate experience? I think that's the word I want. You're being tasked with empathizing with, caring for, and growing very much attached to a female character in a romantic way. It's easy for a straight male to do, thus he gets the most out of the experience. Not being anything other than a straight male, I can't vouch for others.

HOWEVER. Hisao does have that bitchin' sweatervest. And I've heard an account or two of people's sisters (and one mother - dude, what were you thinking?) enjoying it.

So sure. What have you got to lose?

BlackSol

Feb 2, 2012
Joining just to comment like a boss!

Anyway, I just finished Lilly's path (I feel like a rebel cause it seems like everyone's first path was Emi) and I must say that this was the most heart-wrenching story I have ever had the pleasure of reading (watching?). Now I read a good amount of manga, so I'm used to the usual female stereotypes and I've learned to dislike some of them (I'm looking at you Tsundere -.-). This game managed to completely transcend those generalizations and create the most realistic, fictional characters I have ever met. I mean, seriously, you practically fall in love with these girls like Hisao. I don't even want to consider doing a different story having gone through everything with Lilly. It's that real.

I have to say that one of the best parts of this story is the fact that you are given the option to choose. It makes the experience that much more real. I read a lot of manga and I've had moments where I really like a character, but I have no choice how the story plays out. I'll use Bleach as an example (I know it's mainstream, but it's easy to explain). I like Rukia (like everyone else) and I really hope that Kubo intends to pair with Ichigo. I love their interactions, but in the end, it's Kubo's decision as to what happens to them. I have absolutely no input, so I can't push Ichigo to my favorite character. In KS, I was able to choose who I wanted to follow and that makes a huge difference in my mind.

On a final note, I was honestly kind of put off the H-scenes initially. I'm very idealistic when it comes to love, so the idea of "I love you! Let's have sex!" is kinda disquieting to me. However, I've come to accept the scenes for what they are and actually realized that they aren't there as fan service, but to actually make the story more real. Maybe I'll understnad it better when I'm older...

One last thing: Lilly forever! (and maybe Hanako when I do her story)

Uliana

Jan 6, 2012
I've seen a lot of accounts of players having female friends, girlfriends and even wives playing the game and liking it, and a lot of the players themselves are female. So I don't see how being female has anything to do about liking the game.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
BlackSol said:
Blah blah blah Maybe I'll understand it better when I'm older...
blah blah blah blah
What is it about that statement that gives me the distinct impression you're too young to be playing adult games?

Meh. Doesn't matter. One thing you said about Emi being everyone's first was something i had to disagree with. She was my last. My first was Hanako, my second was falling off a fucking roof, my third was Lilly. I disagree about Lilly being the best, but she was your first. Maybe by the time you get this reply you'll have changed your tune and have joined the heartwarming Hanako side are the Rin dark side.

The quoted post was edited for misspelling because the replier has a stick up his ass about the English language

Daftie

Aug 29, 2011
God damn I started playing this game as some sort of a joke a while back while it was still only the demo version that was available. Just to see what all the fuss was about. But now it has had me really thinking about myself.

The moment where Lilly confesses her love to Hisao something unexpected happened.

Now all of the other touching moments in this game had me feeling goosebumps and tearing up. But the moment where she throws herself at him and confesses her love didn't provoke the same response. I sat there stunned. Wondering why I wasn't feeling like I did during all the other moments. Then a sudden thought began to press upon my brain. It started out faint and patchy like a bad cellphone signal but then it came in clearly.

"I will never have someone like this."

I choked down a sob and began to tear up then I realized the way I was thinking.

In all of my post-pubescence I have never thought anything like this about fictional characters ever. Somehow this game managed to get my guard down and hit me where it hurts the most, my heart. For the last hour and a half I've been trying to figure out why and how this happened. I sat outside with a cigarette looking at the full moon questioning why I think the way I do about love and relationships. About everything really.

Never has anything really affected me as much as this game has. I know it's fictional but dammit it has really made me think.

As I type this I am still trying to wrap my brain up about what happened. I cannot simply fathom how something that is not real can make me feel and think this way.

Possibly the most emotional and immersing fiction I have ever read.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
BloodWriter said:
But one thing I really disliked! The nurse is such a cool motherf***er! I wanted him to even simply have a name, but no, it's Nurse Nurse Nurse all along... Even the librarian got a name, why not the Nurse?

(Disclaimer: Might have missed it, but he is titled "Nurse" all the time.)
It's a 4chan reference to Nurse-kun.

wingzerox10a

Feb 8, 2012
hehe...my favourite path is Emi. i originally wanted her, but i got lilly instead. i don't regret both of them though, Emi especially, is well drawn :)

wingzerox10a

Feb 8, 2012
wingzerox10a said:
hehe...my favourite path is Emi. i originally wanted her, but i got lilly instead. i don't regret both of them though, Emi especially, is well drawn :)
i may also be thinking of making a fanfic that goes beyond katawa shojou, but i guess it wouldn't work out in the end...XD

El Jay

Dec 13, 2009
I can't remember when I played the demo, but it was... Reletively new then? In it's infancy I guess one could say. I was... Probably just 18 or so, and I'm nearly 22 now. (honestly I don't care who knows these details, they're just numbers)

When I'd first tried it, I played around, as it was the first time I'd played a game like it, going through the mini arcs for each girl, feeling somewhat interested overall. And then I hit Rin's path last. Now, I had a feeling her path would hammer me then, years back, as I was trying to improve as an artist. And then I experienced her character. And it hit me like a brick shithouse. I'm not one to openly pull the "oh god I can seriously connect with these pixels in all ways" card, but I was pulling it then. The ending of that path, the fireworks, the chill-out, it all clicked; I have a similar way of thinking compared to Rin, similar interests, hell, I tend to have the same expressions and mannerisms. So a few years ago, I connected to the bare-bones characteristics of an armless artist.

Jump forward to present day, and of course, the first route I play is Rin's, just on the vague memory that it was the single route that jumped out of the screen and fucking mule-kicked me in a very special place. Reaching the fireworks scene brought back nice memories. Then I carried on. I answered how I would answer if it were really me, and enjoyed things more as her character grew. Then something unexpected happened; I bombed in the art studio, got Hisao and Rin bitterly angry at each other, and hit (one of) the bad end(s) first. I was, in a word, at a loss. Then I remembered, oh right, I tend to bitterly hate myself; Answering like I was talking to myself? Kind of a dumb move. This brought up things I'd forgot for years, repressed feelings mostly.

So I'd decided that, as this is a game after all, I'd shake those feelings off and pick up from where I thought I screwed up; I hadn't saved in a while however, so I found the skip button, and blazed through. First thing I do is have a MANLY PICNIC, and fall off a roof in a drunken stupor. That set back aside, I tried again, picking the choices I knew were right, and that I knew... I don't know, would sound right to me, oddly. The main mistake I made in that art studio, was caring. Which makes sense now, but enough 'life immitating art' correlations; I carried on from then, more cautious than before. This was my path to the good end, I would have my head-in-the-clouds artist, by god; And I did. The whole way though, I was on edge and slightly misty, you know, onion dust in my eyes and blah blah. Then I'd cleared up the scenes I'd missed, felt a bit depressed after a happy end, and decided to watch my 'triumph' again.

Rin's path went from mesmerizing to a fresh out of high school me, to full on gut wrenching and emotion boiling now; There is no other single way for me to simplify it. Many of the events would give me serious butterflies (oh the coincidence of it all), mainly just relating to how she 'talked', and more butterflyingly so, to quote, "I have no idea what's wrong with me!". That single line was the hammering I was expecting years ago. It's something I battle with constantly, I don't ever know what's my problem, but it's some huge mental block that no one but me can see apparently, despite no one ever understanding my words. I almost lost it reading that, and if it weren't for feeling like such a jerkass thanks to previous mistakes, those damned oniondusts would have made me cry a torrential storm of biblical proportions.

This is getting QUITE long winded, and I know there'll be those that will read this and laugh or consider me a creep should they read it all, but I welcome that; This ONE game made me realize that somewhere down the line, I've lost sight of who I am and why I do what I do. Why I draw, why I create, why I shut people out, and why I can't ever figure out what's wrong with me. I'm happy to be a creep if it means I can see where I've gone wrong, greatful to be one even.

And this was only one path, I shudder to imagine what'll happen if I play them all; I may change into someone new again. Quite a feat for a game that's at it's basis, all about scoring them tickets into pantyville.
(And now I go back to hiding in my shaded corner in pre-emptive fear of ridicule that will more than likely not be imminent at any time.)

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
El Jay said:
genuinely heartfelt commentary
Don't apologize for nuthin'. If you can't vent your life story to strangers on the internet, where can you?

See, every now and then I'll pause a VN, the gentle soothing sounds of "Onii-chan no baka!" fading gently away from my headphones, and wonder what the ever-loving fuck I'm doing with myself. And then something like this will come along, and I'll get the opportunity to experience something that would never exist anywhere else but the weird corners of the internet, and I'll play it, and fall in love, and want to climb tall buildings and yell out to the world "HEY. HEY YOU GUYS. COME PLAY THIS CRIPPLE DATING SIM, IT'S AMAZING." And you can probably imagine how well that'll go over.

So when people actually comment like this, telling me or the world at large that holy fuck, this was actually great, or that they've been brought to tears or decided to change their lives or even just smiled a lot for a little while afterwards...

That's the best feeling.

Thanks for the stories.