Despite Reports, Portal 2 Will Not Support PlayStation Move

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Despite Reports, Portal 2 Will Not Support PlayStation Move

Valve says that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 will not feature Move support, no matter what you may have heard.

Recently, a tidbit of news has been going around that says Valve plans to reward PlayStation 3 owners of PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297981931&sr=8-1] support. Sadly, the news is a case of the truth getting lost in translation.

Left 4 Dead [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-17-portal-2-to-have-complete-move-support].

A supposed translation of Faliszek's comments reads: "As a small compensation we have PS3-exclusive cloud saving, a free code for PC and complete PlayStation Move support. Another comment says: "Move is also a completely new experience for us, thus the system isn't fully integrated yet."

Unfortunately, Valve sent out a statement today that denies Move support in Portal 2. It reads: "Unfortunately [Faliszek's] quote was 'lost in translation' -- Portal 2 does not include support for Sony's motion controller."

The mistranslation was likely an honest mistake, but we wanted to make sure that nobody buys a PlayStation Move controller simply with the desire to use it for Portal 2. However, when it comes to Portal 3, that may be a different matter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102450-Valve-No-PlayStation-Move-or-3D-Support-Until-Portal-3].

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I don't think anyone will actually be upset over this. For most games, I don't think to myself, "Boy this game would be 10x better if only it had move controls!"

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Eri said:
I don't think anyone will actually be upset over this. For most games, I don't think to myself, "Boy this game would be 10x better if only it had move controls!"
Or "Wow, I wish I could flail my arms to make my character do stuff!"

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
As long as they are releasing Portal 2 I'm fine with it. Never really liked motion control anyway.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Kalezian said:
omega_peaches said:
Compensation for lack of L4D?
I love Portal, but I'd rather have L4D2.

I dont want to be that guy, but get L4D 1 or 2 for the PC if you are able to.

the console version does not give enough credit to the sheer amount of custom maps and mods that both games have.
and if you want to give a "move" twist to it, you can try the six sense motion controller or whatever it is called

which is kind of like a wiimote or a PSMove, but it looks more accurate, also, freehand melee animations ^-^

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
Eri said:
Or "Wow, I wish I could flail my arms to make my character do stuff!"
Ummm.... Move would most likely be used as a light gun in Portal since it is a FPS of sorts. So sorry "probably" on arm failing action for Portal 3.

That being said I had high hopes for Move and its application as a fps gun. So far Sony has let me down. MAGs motion control weren't good enough to warrant a switch from a control, and Killzone 3 looks to be set up exactly the same way. It is sad really. Move had/has potential to be great for FPS.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
id rather not have move controls I hate all motion controls in genreal gimmie a controller or dont expect me to play it hell i prob wouldnt even use motion controls if someone bought me kinect or move

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Pfft, Valve hates developing for the PS3 anyway. Why anyone would think they would bother with an unseemly and unnecessary peripheral is beyond me.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
DarkRyter said:
Pfft, Valve hates developing for the PS3 anyway. Why anyone would think they would bother with an unseemly and unnecessary peripheral is beyond me.
"Old" Valve hated developing for PS3. Something happened and now Valve is giving Ps3 owners free games and steamworks cross platform gaming. Besides the last link in the article seems to imply that Portal 3 will have move support so maybe Valve doesn't mind bothering with a seeming unnecessary peripheral, but didn't have the time to squeeze it into Portal 2

Theesacpee90

Dec 14, 2010
Ok unlike the rest of this thread here..I am actually pretty bummed this isn't going to be available for the Move..The Move is a sick motion lazer shooter, seems like those who are bashing it, obviously haven't played it!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
now if companies would stop giving multiplatform games different bonuses on each console I would be happy. I think its nonsense to reward them for not getting a previous game.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm a tad disappointed. Move is a fun...thing. Imagine a life-size replica Portal gun controller designed to hold the Move controller and its analog counterpart. Like the Sharpshooter for Killzone 3, but a Portal gun.

It could have been fun....

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Theesacpee90 said:
Ok unlike the rest of this thread here..I am actually pretty bummed this isn't going to be available for the Move..The Move is a sick motion lazer shooter, seems like those who are bashing it, obviously haven't played it!
Oh I have played it. It is crazy accurate I have nothing bad about the motion control itself. My issue is with how it as been implemented in general, more specifically I have a problem with how your ability to turn is greatly impaired while using the Move control in MAG and if what I have read on the internet is true Killzone 3 is setup the same way.

I haven't written the Move off yet. I plan on playing through Killzone campaign mod with it to see if I can warm up to the control scheme.