Despite Titanfall, The PS4 Still Outsold the Xbox One in March

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Despite Titanfall, The PS4 Still Outsold the Xbox One in March

Titanfall did, however, take the number one spot on the software chart.

Despite all the hype for Microsoft-exclusive mechtastic shooter Titanfall, it still hasn't managed to move more Xbox Ones than PS4s in March, reveals the official NPD sales numbers [http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/march-2014-npd-playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-again-despite-titanfall/]. That's not to say that Titanfall performed poorly, as it still sits in the number one spot on the software sales chart, above the PS4 exclusive Infamous: Second Son. Could it be all those Titanfall gamers are playing it on the PC, rather than Microsoft's box?

Here's the full sales chart below:

Titanfall (Xbox One, PC)
Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (360, PS3, PC)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
Dark Souls II (PS3, 360)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3, Vita)
The Lego Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
Minecraft (360)

"As seen in the past few months, hardware sales for March 2014 saw strong growth over March 2013," NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement. "Sales increases were driven completely by consoles sales due mainly to continued success from the PS4 and Xbox One."

Microsoft confirmed that it sold 311,000 Xbox Ones in March, and while Sony has yet to make an official comment, estimates put PS4 sales at around 370,000. So while it did beat the Xbox One, it wasn't by a huge margin, and it's very clear that both consoles are selling well.

If you're noticing a distinct lack of PC games on this list, it's because the NPD sales charts only takes into account games sold at physical brick-and-mortar video game stores.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/march-2014-npd-playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-again-despite-titanfall/]

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Key word for sales too "Video game stores" as in console game stores with one rack of PC games. Anyway this is just more hype to be expected when a new console is released, next week it will be back to PC gaming is dead and the battle of which is the best console leaving Nintendo out on the fringe saying "Hey! what about me???".

Also ofcourse they are selling well, all the hype for the new hardware and all the fanboys are flocking to buy. Sane thing happened when the 360 and ps3 was released and all the sales comparisons playing right into the manufacturers hands.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Despite titanfall?

oh sure it sold well...but its hardly a system seller..that game is at least 60 hype

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
We don't need a sales report every month. At this point it's a news story if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Xbox. Also "despite titanfall"?. Not even the most ravenous of fanboys honestly thinks thought that titanfall would be a major game changer, especially seeing as it's an fps that's also on PC.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Revolutionary said:
We don't need a sales report every month. At this point it's a news story if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Xbox. Also "despite titanfall"?. Not even the most ravenous of fanboys honestly thinks thought that titanfall would be a major game changer, especially seeing as it's an fps that's also on PC.
But if they don't give a sensationalized sales report every month, how will the Escapist degenerate into a fanboy circlejerk? Who doesn't want to be IGN?

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Also, the NPD is so limited in it's scope that it hardly matters on a global scale. Dunno how it is in the states, but in europe XB1s keep piling up in shops because no one buys them.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Wow, South Park is selling this damn well? Maybe this is the windfall Obsidian needs, they've had a rough couple of years, generally creating flawed masterpieces, which almost never sell as well as the polished blandness of the big AAA series.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
erbi79 said:
Also, the NPD is so limited in it's scope that it hardly matters on a global scale. Dunno how it is in the states, but in europe XB1s keep piling up in shops because no one buys them.
Well, according to sales data I have seen, the Xbox One is selling very well in North America. Still being beaten by the PS4, though. Once you go outside of North America, the sales are almost laughably lopsided in favor of PS4. 2-1 (almost 3-1) in every region sort of lopsided.

Don't think it's even available in Japan, yet, but I seriously doubt Xbox One will move any meaningful number of units there. Japan has pretty much rejected Xbox systems on the whole.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
"As seen in the past few months, hardware sales for March 2014 saw strong growth over March 2013,"
Are we supposed to take it as news that hardware sales in March of 2014 were better than hardware sales in March of 2013, when you consider that March of 2014 saw the recent release of a new hardware cycle? Meaning as opposed to March of 2013 which came during a time when nearly everyone that wanted hardware already had it.

To me that's like saying that there was an increase in the sale of light bulbs in March of the year following the invention of light bulbs, versus March the year before when light bulbs had yet to be invented. Not my best analogy, but I hope you see the point I'm trying to make that comparing March '14 to March '13 isn't apples to apples.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well who knew? Turns out that just because you say something is a system seller, doesn't automatically make it so. And only the first TitanFall is an Xbone/PC exclusive. They won't even have that when TitanFall 2 is announced. Better step up your game for E3 Microsoft, or you're screwed.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale. In the short term, sure, as we saw with the case of Xbox Ones sale increases in the UK that everyone made a huge fuss about. However in the long term it just never seems to work out that way. A small (by comparison) amount of people will buy a console for a game, but the majority don't.

Heck, the biggest console seller I remember was actually somethin weird like Animal Crossing for the 3DS, but even that had tons of different factors added in.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale.
I don't know, Halo 5 is sure to move a ton of xbox ones, but by that time they will be so far behind it won't really matter.

Had Microsoft made sure that Halo 5 would be released earlier, the table may have turned, Titanfall would never do that.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
arc1991 said:
shintakie10 said:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale.
I don't know, Halo 5 is sure to move a ton of xbox ones, but by that time they will be so far behind it won't really matter.

Had Microsoft made sure that Halo 5 would be released earlier, the table may have turned, Titanfall would never do that.
Exactly, because history has shown us that if a console gets behind in sales, it can never catch up, right! Stick a fork in it, its done!

I give up. The doom and gloom just keeps right on coming, yet no one seems to realize the the Xbox One is actually selling VERY WELL. At this point, its the best selling console in their history. The PS4 is just selling even better. But people keep getting this math in their heads that if the PS4 sells more, than the One is failing, and that is simply not true.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
Exactly, because history has shown us that if a console gets behind in sales, it can never catch up, right! Stick a fork in it, its done!

I give up. The doom and gloom just keeps right on coming, yet no one seems to realize the the Xbox One is actually selling VERY WELL. At this point, its the best selling console in their history. The PS4 is just selling even better. But people keep getting this math in their heads that if the PS4 sells more, than the One is failing, and that is simply not true.
I'm pretty much on your page, I just don't get the doom and gloom shit, well I kinda do a little since I see obvious hatred being displayed at different levels, using math can be one of them (yes that can actually be done ebfore anyone tries to tell me otherwise).

I don't see the Wii U failing into the ground and neither the XB1, people here with the doom and gloom just hate the stuff right off the bat because it doesn't appeal and grovel to them in a begging manner.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
The Xbox One is still selling damn well considering they don't have nearly as many release regions (PS4 in Japan would have made a difference).

The Xbox One and PS4 are both selling really well. That's a bloody good thing.
Having the two systems be relativity close in units is good thing for competition and gaming.

Apr 28, 2008
Revolutionary said:
Adam Jensen said:
Well who knew? Turns out that just because you say something is a system seller, doesn't automatically make it so. And only the first TitanFall is an Xbone/PC exclusive. They won't even have that when TitanFall 2 is announced. Better step up your game for E3 Microsoft, or you're screwed.
Titanfall is also on the 360, so yeah you really don't need an Xbone to play it. Not sure if it's released yet though, would be interested in seeing how much it sells.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
arc1991 said:
shintakie10 said:

I don't know about that. The last couple Halo games were not that great and the "x game will be a system seller for y console" argument has been used by a half dozen Wii U first party titles.

I think the days of the system seller are over and have been for a while. Consoles need libraries of games to sell. One good game just won't cut it anymore.

OP: I think the cannibalization of releasing Titanfall one 3 different platforms gave the X1 the short end of the stick in terms of unit moving potential. Pouring that much hype into a game that wasn't even an exclusive is kinda silly.