Destinception? Players Find Destiny Mission Inside Destiny Mission

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Destinception? Players Find Destiny Mission Inside Destiny Mission

Destiny players found a secret quest inside a daily heroic mission, complete with its own exotic reward.

Video games have contained secrets and Easter Eggs from the very beginning, ranging from Atari's hidden developer messages to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135895-Behold-Shovel-Knights-Butt-Mode>Shovel Knight's "Butt Mode". And now that Destiny's Taken King expansion is out, we can tell Bungie likes sneaking in some of its own. While playing the daily heroic story mission "Lost to Light", you can stumble across a bonus in-game quest with a unique weapon reward. That's right: A Destiny mission inside a Destiny mission.

To access the mission, blaze through "Lost of Light" as quickly as possible, until you reach a door requiring three relics to open. Go past that door and turn to where you'd normally find the Fallen ketch in "The Shadow Thief". If you're quick enough, and didn't have to restart, your Ghost finds a Fallen transmission and the quest begins. According to Destiny players posting on Reddit, this secret quest can only be accessed as a daily mission - the regular story mode assumes you just missed the transmission.

Now comes the hard part - you have ten minutes to clear out an entire Fallen ketch. Running out of time doesn't just end the mission, it boots you back into space where you'll have to start again. But if you win? You'll get the Black Spindle, an exotic sniper rifle that regenerates ammo upon making three precision shots.

Since this is a daily mission, Destiny players won't have long to complete the extra quest - although presumably it will reactivate when "Lost to Light" comes round on the schedule again. That being said, I'd recommend you bring a few friends, or else the mission difficulty will keep you from the Black Spindle until next time.

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfETn2Ox1Ds>YouTube, via <a href=http://kotaku.com/players-discover-secret-destiny-mission-with-an-awesome-1732590474>Kotaku

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
On one hand, this is really cool. A special mission that awards an exotic version of the mighty Black Hammer sounds amazing.

But I still take issue with the fact that the mission is next to impossible without friends. I get that Bungie wants us to group up, but that is kinda hard when THERE IS STILL NO IN-GAME WAY TO FIND PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH.

It baffles me that Bungie hasn't done anything about this.

Aug 31, 2011
There's also 'secret' patrol bounties, but I don't know what their purpose is or where they lead. I was with some people on Venus, near the ship from Scourge of Winter when we got 'The First Mystery.'

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
On one hand, this is really cool. A special mission that awards an exotic version of the mighty Black Hammer sounds amazing.

But I still take issue with the fact that the mission is next to impossible without friends. I get that Bungie wants us to group up, but that is kinda hard when THERE IS STILL NO IN-GAME WAY TO FIND PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH.

This! Why haven't they fixed this? I mean just adding the option for matchmaking would fix so many problems. They added it to the heroic strike playlist and it was great. Bungie keeps saying that "the community will find away" to do all the stuff they are to lazy to do. I like Destiny, it is a fun game but there is so much wrong with it. Hopefully it gets fixed with Destiny 2 but I am not holding my breathe.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
TorchofThanatos said:
SlumlordThanatos said:

This! Why haven't they fixed this? I mean just adding the option for matchmaking would fix so many problems. They added it to the heroic strike playlist and it was great. Bungie keeps saying that "the community will find away" to do all the stuff they are to lazy to do. I like Destiny, it is a fun game but there is so much wrong with it. Hopefully it gets fixed with Destiny 2 but I am not holding my breathe.
Well... the story actually made some sense this expansion and the characters actually explained some things... So that's kind of nice. They are learning... slowly...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Overquoted said:
There's also 'secret' patrol bounties, but I don't know what their purpose is or where they lead. I was with some people on Venus, near the ship from Scourge of Winter when we got 'The First Mystery.'
Oh, those are just random objectives. far as I know. There's a vague implication when you finish one that the Exo Stranger sent it. I've done about 15 so far and it hasn't progressed to anything though. I've seen them be Emoting, Headshots, Straight up Kills, Find Chests, Gather Resources, Gather Enemy Suppplies, Kill Majors.

There are hidden Bounty sets though, I set off one on the Dreadnaught to headshot Taken, melee 3 cursed thralls without dying, and now it wants me to do defeat the Legendary Boss at Court of Oryx in 2 minutes or less (I've got the method, but getting enough buddies in, or finding competent PUGs is a pain).

More fully on topic, wouldn't this just work by going into Lost to Light the regular way, or is it actually Daily Mission locked?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
But is it shit story and lazy design in the shit story and lazy design? Who am I kidding... This is Destiny, of course it is. You'd think a bigger priority would be delivering the game they promised in their advertising and streamlining in game issues, but then again I'd also think fixing your game would have been a higher priority than patching out the ways people were circumventing your shit system. Or if we're talking the game industry as a whole, selling DLC before you fix your game. Or selling partial games that never would have been acceptable in the good ol days. *sigh* It's only going to get worse... (looks at Star Wars Battlefield and cries)

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Sarge034 said:
But is it shit story and lazy design in the shit story and lazy design? Who am I kidding... This is Destiny, of course it is. You'd think a bigger priority would be delivering the game they promised in their advertising and streamlining in game issues, but then again I'd also think fixing your game would have been a higher priority than patching out the ways people were circumventing your shit system. Or if we're talking the game industry as a whole, selling DLC before you fix your game. Or selling partial games that never would have been acceptable in the good ol days. *sigh* It's only going to get worse... (looks at Star Wars Battlefield and cries)
Methinks you have a difficult time reading articles.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Sinister Minister said:
Methinks you have a difficult time reading articles.
Oh? Do tell me where in the article it states the competency of the writing for this mission within the mission. Methinks you just irritated.