Destiny 2 Officially Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Destiny 2 Officially Announced

Following months of leaks, rumors, and hints, Bungie has finally officially announced Destiny 2.

There have been many leaks and rumors circulating around the first full sequel to Bungie's Destiny for months now, but it's still nice to have some official confirmation: In a tweet today [https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/846406524347940871], Bungie finally announced Destiny 2.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/846406524347940871]

This isn't a huge surprise, as Activision's investor call in February [http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/3844751830x0x927408/E8645268-7D4F-4754-8B35-3710DD5C493D/Q4_2016_ATVI_Slides.pdf] revealed a "full Destiny sequel in 2017 to broaden the franchise's global reach, which along with follow-on content plans, sets the stage for growth."

A leaked poster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169874-Destiny-2-Release-Date-Leaked] earlier this week showed the release date for Destiny 2 as September 8, with the fine print suggesting that PS4 players will have access to the game first, in the form of an exclusive beta. However, no firm release date or beta information was given as part of the official announcement.

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
As someone who enjoyed the first game; I hope they take the experiences they had with the base game and use those to deliver something that's more complete out of the box. Destiny felt a bit empty at launch.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Is there an in-game way to find people to raid with, or am I going to have to scour the forums and other third-party websites like I did last time?

Also, is the Grimoire in the game now?

Destiny was amazing from a mechanical point of view, but from a game design standpoint, many of the decisions Bungie made were baffling.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
A raidfinder, or I dunno, better way to communicate online would be nice. the PS4 has its chat app for forming groups but there really needs to be a better way to form up for the big stuff. I hated playing the Taken King expac without actually beating Crota first.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Slap it on PC, and i'll be interested. Neglect to do so, and I will continue to not care.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Bring it to PC please.....flesh it out......more variations in guns and armor instead of every single player wearing the same gear...

I sold my ps4 because it was gathering so much dust....this needs to made on pc but im betting it wont be.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
How to dripfeed grindy, overpriced skinnerbox hype: the sequel.

And it's always online. Bleh! Looks like it could've been an intriguing single-player adventure if it wasn't so spread for modern profit optimisation.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be supported for 10 years with DLC every few months? If Bungie is willing to abandon that promise, why should I trust them to properly support Destiny 2? It sounds to me like they're just going to sell us the same game with small graphical upgrades and mechanical tweaks but no actual content of value therein. What, precisely, will Destiny 2 offer me that Destiny does not? When I bought Oblivion I knew how it improved on Morrowind, when I bought Skyrim I knew what I was getting that was fresh and new and interesting. What will be added to Destiny 2 that makes it worth the 70$ entree fee if I already own the first game? Why would I recommend Destiny 2 and not Destiny to someone who has played neither game, given that Destiny would cost about 1/5th of the price?

The only thing that might entice me would be some kind of plot progression that led to a radical change in the tone and gameplay, for example finding out that the Traveller is the Big Bad and the enemies are previous civilizations it consumed on its intergalactic murder/enslavement spree. Turning the game into a For Honor-style territory control metaplot between turncoat Guardians, loyalist Guardians, and playable previously 'evil' races... that's basically the only thing that would get me to pick up the sequel.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Chronologist said:
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be supported for 10 years with DLC every few months? If Bungie is willing to abandon that promise...
Destiney 2 is DLC. Think of it as every time any expansion gets released for any MMO ever and you trade in your top tier raid equipment for the first pieces of trash greens you find.

It's just without the pretense.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
altnameJag said:
Chronologist said:
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be supported for 10 years with DLC every few months? If Bungie is willing to abandon that promise...
Destiney 2 is DLC. Think of it as every time any expansion gets released for any MMO ever and you trade in your top tier raid equipment for the first pieces of trash greens you find.

Its just people squabbling about phrasing. A '10 year plan for Destiny' is very very obviously a statement about the brand/franchise, not the individual first title. But being that it had such a mixed reception and the internet just loves to hate things, people are taking that quote out of context as some sort of sweet burn about how bad the game is.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
altnameJag said:
Chronologist said:

Except I've never played an MMO where an expansion has released and I had to start the game from zero progress/level 1 again. Those four cruddy dlc packs that were released for Destiny are it's expansions, Destiny 2 is like WoW to the old Warcraft RTS games. A sequel but likely packaged with more shitty grinds and flaky story writing.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Started playing Destiny only a few months ago. The plot's shithouse until you get to the stuff with Oryx and SIVA.

Probably going to buy Destiny 2, but I'm super fucking pissed that they won't carry over any progression from the first game. I only just got that progression! What's the point of fucking playing it if it'll all get wiped in a few months? "Feel like a sequel," my ass. They're doing it because their game engine sucked balls and they want to dump it for a new one, and they can't be bothered adapting old graphics assets.

It's still a really fun game held back by some bafflingly fucking stupid decisions, like the Grimoire. "Let's put all the good parts of the plot in a fucking mobile app, where 98% of people won't read it!" Whose idea was that?

Reminds me of BvS with how bungled it was.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nile McMorrow said:
altnameJag said:
Chronologist said:

Except I've never played an MMO where an expansion has released and I had to start the game from zero progress/level 1 again. Those four cruddy dlc packs that were released for Destiny are it's expansions, Destiny 2 is like WoW to the old Warcraft RTS games. A sequel but likely packaged with more shitty grinds and flaky story writing.
Okay, so what, precisely, is different between this and having to grind ten new levels in WoW replacing all your old gear and respecting your character to take into account new and rebalanced powers?

Is it really just that your new level starts at 1 instead of 41?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
altnameJag said:
Okay, so what, precisely, is different between this and having to grind ten new levels in WoW replacing all your old gear and respecting your character to take into account new and rebalanced powers?

Well the clear difference is that in WoW you keep your old mounts, armour appearances for transmog, all your old currency and materials that you spent ages grinding out as well as pets and other fun stuff you've gathered. With a completely new game release you indeed have to grind all the way back up to level cap and with Destiny 2 grind gear to increase your Light (shitty version of Diablo Paragon) level as well lose any useful/interesting things you've gathered in Destiny. Which is just really shitty.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, let's see...

-Am I a philistine for thinking that the logo would look better with a Roman numeral instead of a "2"?

-Do exos actually need to drink? I notice that Cade doesn't actually drink any of the stuff.

-Destiny can't seem to decide on its tone, as it swings from serious to silly on a by-trailer basis.

-Nathan Fillion is, at this point, playing Nathan Fillion. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nile McMorrow said:
altnameJag said:

Well the clear difference is that in WoW you keep your old mounts, armour appearances for transmog, all your old currency and materials that you spent ages grinding out as well as pets and other fun stuff you've gathered. With a completely new game release you indeed have to grind all the way back up to level cap and with Destiny 2 grind gear to increase your Light (shitty version of Diablo Paragon) level as well lose any useful/interesting things you've gathered in Destiny. Which is just really shitty.
...And when they went from Year One gear to Year Two gear, you had to get whole new sets of gear, most of the high level versions of which used the new material (seriously, don't pretend your old mats were useful in new WoW expansions), the Gold economy gets traded for whatever new token system they came out with (hi legendary marks, how're you?), and you had to grind all the way back up to level cap and grind gear to increase your Light. Like when the level cap rose from 20 to 40. Or the incremental light level increases. And I dunno about you, but I tended to upgrade to the newer, faster mounts when an expansion came out.

And if you're really that worried about your old sparrows and stacks of Reciprocal runes, you can just boot up Destiny. It's not going anywhere for awhile.