Destiny 2 to Have Unlocked Framerate and 4K Support on PC, but No Dedicated Servers

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Destiny 2 to Have Unlocked Framerate and 4K Support on PC, but No Dedicated Servers

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1407/1407102.jpgThere's good news and bad news for PC gamers looking forward to Destiny 2.

We've already learned that the PC version of Destiny 2 won't launch at the same time the console version does [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170398-Destiny-2-PC-Launch-Coming-After-Consoles] in September, and now we've learned a bit more, including some good news.

First up, there's the good: Destiny 2 on PC will support many things that PC gamers want, including 4K resolution and an uncapped frame rate. Here's the full list of PC features that Bungie was sharing at yesterday's event, although not all of them were the build shown off there:

4K Resolution Support (3820x2160)
Uncapped framerate
Full mouse and keyboard support with custom key mapping
Text chat
Adjustable Field of View
Detailed PC settings screen
21:9 monitor support

There are some much-desired features there, including custom key mapping and adjustable field of view. That said, there's also some bad news to go along with the good. Specifically, the lack of dedicated servers for the PC version of Destiny 2.

When asked by PCGamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/] about the servers, Bungie PC lead David Shaw said, "We do not have dedicated servers for Destiny 2 on PC." When asked about the latency issues that were prevalent in the first Destiny on console, Shaw replied,

"We've done a bunch of stuff overall. We've heard that across the board, so we have looked at our tech and tried to figure out "okay, where can we optimize, how can we reduce that." So there is new tech coming, but I would say that, at the moment, it's not specifically geared toward PC. But again, we have things we are doing to kind of get to the last push, so we're very cognizant of those issues and we're definitely trying to deliver the best experience possible."

There are still a lot of questions up in the air about the PC version of Destiny 2, including what the system requirements will be and if you'll have the ability to transfer your characters from console to PC. We'll have to wait for the answers to those, but now there's both good and bad news for PC gamers interested in Destiny 2

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not fond of this trend of no more dedicated servers in multiplayer games these days. Dead by Daylight constantly suffers for it, making 30% of all games as a survivor drop me for no reason, as it puts hosting on the killer.
Then on the triple A side, we have For Honor which works on a peer-to-peer system which still leads to a lot of interruptions in gameplay.
I was told recently that dedicated servers are expensive, but I feel like it might be worth the cost because otherwise you're just going to bleed players.

"...trying to deliver the best experience possible" they say. Good word choice for them. So when the experience sucks they can just go back to that and say "It's the best we can do".

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zydrate said:
I was told recently that dedicated servers are expensive, but I feel like it might be worth the cost because otherwise you're just going to bleed players.
There's more to it than that. Historically dedicated servers have been paid for and run by the game's players and third party companies.

This meant handing over the code for servers to the public and handing control of the gameplay to whoever's got the server commands. On the one hand it allows custom gametypes, but on the other it allows the players to break or ignore things like progression systems. Way back in the days of Battlefield 2/2142 it was very common for servers to be set to everything unlocked for every player regardless of rank. Not really an issue then, but in the era of lootboxes, micro transactions and Free 2 Play type progression systems it's the kind of thing that makes a publisher uneasy at best.

I don't really buy the cost argument when a game like Destiny needs a huge amount of server infrastructure for account authorisation purposes (and to keep track of all those sweet sweet micro transactions).

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Sigh.. it seems no lessons have been learned with For Honor..

I was thinking about buying. Now you can 100% write my name off from it. And by the way, if anyone tries to defend this (especially when we have such BIG players behind it), well you are part of the problem.

And for that moment when the shit hits the fan (since I can already tell that this problem will plague the game throughout its life and population will bleed and keep talking about "lost potencial" due to this decision)... Bungie, let me (and hundreds of thousands of other players) tell you right now in advance that "I/we told you so". I guess history is trully bound to repeat itself.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wait...wait...wait...wait...wait. Hold on. Hold the fuck on.

An MMO...without dedicated servers...

As gaming news goes, this is THE most monumentally stupid thing I've heard in a while. Just...what the actual fuck?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I...wait, what?

How do you not have dedicated servers for an mmo?

How is that even a thing that's possible? ...or is not not an MMO and it's just something like, I dunno, Warframe?

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
It's a magical world we live in where a marketing point for a game is "a settings screen"
21:9 support is nice though, it's kind of annoying having spent so much on this monitor to not make full use of it

Jan 19, 2016
It's no dedicate servers for the 4v4 PvP part of the game, not the entire thing. No idea why they are doing it, but I've gone from cautiously interested to "Lol, nope!" What's really depressing is all the idiots on various forums actually defending this tomfoolery.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well if they don't want my money they couldn't have said it better. I guess I'll just have to play one of dozens of PC multiplayer games and MMO's with dedicated servers.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Wait...wait...wait...wait...wait. Hold on. Hold the fuck on.

An MMO...without dedicated servers...

As gaming news goes, this is THE most monumentally stupid thing I've heard in a while. Just...what the actual fuck?
It is not an MMO, it's a multiplayer FPS

Though it is stupid to not have dedicated servers when you have such a large publisher like Activision behind it and smaller companies can manage dedicated servers.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
So basically they are marketing a bunch of standard expected settings for PC as some sort of generous gift, and they have no dedicated servers for an Activision backed Triple A game...why should I be interested in Destiny 2 again?

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
LostGryphon said:
I...wait, what?

How is that even a thing that's possible? ...or is not not an MMO and it's just something like, I dunno, Warframe?
From what I know of the first game, yes, it works on some kind of instanced system like Warframe or Borderlands.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
But wait! There's MORE!

Destiny 2 on PC will also include:

- MULTIPLE resolutions;
- shortcut application launch system;
- different audio volume support;
- TEXT CHAT!

What's that? We already said text chat? Well that's because it's STATE OF TEH ART text chat, allowing to to not only talk to other players in your vicinity but also message direct individuals even when they're OFFLINE via an innovating friend system!

Upcoming DLC will include a 'save system'.

VirOath

Jan 16, 2009
Xorph said:
LostGryphon said:
I...wait, what?

From what I know of the first game, yes, it works on some kind of instanced system like Warframe or Borderlands.
Even Warframe is making a slow crawl to replace P2P Hosting with Dedicated Servers for everyone. P2P Hosting on games that are primarily Multiplayer is an embarrassment.

P2P Multiplayer is asking for a massive host of problems, from problems with lag and latency to outright hacking and malicious attacks. This is because no matter what "tech" you implement you cannot change the simple fact that without dedicated servers you have zero control over the quality of connection of players involved and have zero control over the environment that is the Hosting System. We don't need to look that far back to see what that was like with GTAV Multiplayer.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
VirOath said:
Xorph said:
LostGryphon said:
I...wait, what?

Even Warframe is making a slow crawl to replace P2P Hosting with Dedicated Servers for everyone. P2P Hosting on games that are primarily Multiplayer is an embarrassment.
That depends. 1v1 and 2v2 I can totally understand to stick with P2P and small amounts of coop (2 to 4 players, maybe even up to 5) is also not really that big of a deal to be P2P only.
Other than that, Dedicated Server should be a default, even if there won't be a Server Browser.

Feb 7, 2016
:O mouse and keyboard support ON MY PC?!

You spoil me Bungie.

Wait, wait. An FOV slider? Now that's a stretch to believe for a modern PC title...Elder Scrolls Online also claimed to add an FOV slider but even at its "max" I still feel like my brain is trying to shove my eyeballs out of my skull.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Welp, fuck that then.
What is it with publishers refusing to actually support decent multiplayer on their multiplayer-focused games?

Zulnam said:
But wait! There's MORE!

Destiny 2 on PC will also include:

- MULTIPLE resolutions;
- shortcut application launch system;
- different audio volume support;
- TEXT CHAT!

What's that? We already said text chat? Well that's because it's STATE OF TEH ART text chat, allowing to to not only talk to other players in your vicinity but also message direct individuals even when they're OFFLINE via an innovating friend system!

Upcoming DLC will include a 'save system'.
Buy the season pass for early access to our revolutionary "Key Rebinding" system!