Destiny Cover Art Sticks With the Formula

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
Mr.K. said:
That looks like the Halo guy in some rags, so they are essentially saying "MS took our IP so we're just making it under a new name".

Hell it's a surefire way to sell massively.
It worked for Mighty #9 so I'm sure it'll work here.

On topic; I'm not too impressed by the cover or the game-play by what I've seen, so I don't mind passing this game up. Quite a few people seem to have preferred the placeholder box-art and I have to agree with those people, It evoked a bigger sense of wonderment and other-worldliness for me. (No red lines? other-worldliness is an actual word?)

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
SkarKrow said:
And yet still no PC version ): which means at some point I shall still have to grab a next gen console -_-
Or just skip it. By all appearances, you won't be missing much.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
I understand your points but there's no getting around the fact that it's still frightfully generic artwork. Just look at Bungie's first Halo game:

I've always loved this cover because it shows exactly what to expect from the game while still being stylish and exciting. You have a clear idea that it's about bad ass space marines, there is a hostile alien presence, there will be lots of conflict in a new world. And in the artwork and composition alone there is variety and colour. Far more interesting to look at in my opinion.
Yet if that game were being released this year don't you think Andy Chalk would also be calling that a "generic dudes with guns cover"?

What a cover is usually intended to do is be basically informative of the game. Can one really say that that a few people with guns moving into an unknown wasteland is less informative about Destiny than the placeholder cover (which I will remind you was just a picture of Traveler's Vale)?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
GodzillaGuy92 said:
SkarKrow said:
And yet still no PC version ): which means at some point I shall still have to grab a next gen console -_-
Or just skip it. By all appearances, you won't be missing much.
To me it looks like it'll be fun and I know a bunch of people who are interested.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
In my opinion, just because there is no boob armor and exposed skin and long flowing hair and makeup, doesn't mean the people are the cover aren't women with guns.

The cover sets the precedent that you have choices for your character in this game, the main character isn't a set canon and you'll be playing with multiple people. That's attractive to RPG/MMO players.

Not sure how strong the story will be, I've only played Bungie's ONI and I loved that. But that was over a decade ago.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Destiny Cover Art Sticks With the FormulaUnless he's facing away from the viewer, of course, but then why's his head snapped all the way around like that? Or is that the back of it? It must be, but it sure looks like a visor and breather to me.
Yes they are facing away, they are all looking towards the traveller, the cover shows the three main character types and the unique armour styles on each, that much is entirely obvious.

Yes it looks similar to other covers that have been out there, but that is for one simple reason: it is a good look, it conveys everything you need to know about the game, three character classes, one rogue-ish, one tank-ish and one mage-ish, they all respect the power and might of the traveller, the game is called destiny and it is made by the creators of Halo

From the creators of Halo

Oh wait now I know why someone on the escapist is trashing it, never mind!