Destiny Is Masterful Game-Making from Bungie

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Frankly, if the game ends up looking anything like those screenshots I'm going to be a very happy bunny. Yes please Bungie, yes please indeed.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The game does seem fairly interesting, although the game-play doesn't look particularly exciting (I am kind of getting bored of FPS overall, so perhaps it's just me). The setting and design style is what I like the most. Especially the concept art, which is amazing.

I haven't seen anything that mentions character creation, or if that's even a thing though. I assume that considering it's an MMO hybrid, that we must be playing as our own character, but will we get a decent amount of customisation options?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Jamous said:
Frankly, if the game ends up looking anything like those screenshots I'm going to be a very happy bunny. Yes please Bungie, yes please indeed.
Those.. aren't screenshots, are they? They're just concept art.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Screenshots: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_bunch_of_screens_for_destiny-14195_en.html

Say what ever you want but their art style is superb.
A friend of mine did not like the noise filter. I personally don't mind it but I still hope that we can switch it off like in Mass Effect.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Legion said:
The game does seem fairly interesting, although the game-play doesn't look particularly exciting (I am kind of getting bored of FPS overall, so perhaps it's just me). The setting and design style is what I like the most. Especially the concept art, which is amazing.

I haven't seen anything that mentions character creation, or if that's even a thing though. I assume that considering it's an MMO hybrid, that we must be playing as our own character, but will we get a decent amount of customisation options?
so far the only thing we know about character design is the fact humans are not the only thing we can play as, two other alien races will be available, plus we know race choice is purely for show, there are no racial abilities unlike ya typical rpg or mmo.

Etteparg

May 24, 2011
This game looks like some kind of cross between Star Wars and Halo with Mass Effect looking suits. The tank from the screen shots even looks like an almost copy paste of the At-Te from Battlefront 2. Overall not sure what to think besides it looking like a bland mash up of several games. Hopefully game play will help set it apart.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Slycne said:
Now port it to the PC.
There was a cryptic 'can neither confirm nor deny' statement making it at least a possibility that we could be seeing this game on the PC as well. If this turns out to be true then I will be extremely happy. For one it'll save me $400 bucks cause I was going to get a PS4 just for this.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Destiny Is Masterful Game-Making from Bungie

Bungie knows how to get the best out of next generation hardware in Destiny.

Read Full Article

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Slycne said:
Now port it to the PC.
So much this. Much as I want some games for the current and next generation of consoles, I can't justify the investment required for them when I already have a perfectly good PC.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I was interested, then I heard about Peter Dinklage, and I was sold.

I cannot be expressed in words at this point how much I want this game. If it's a PS4 exclusive, then I'm more than prepared to get a PS4.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The more I see of this game, the more it just looks like "Halo meets Borderlands meets Defiance".

I'm generally a fairly big fan of Bungie, but Destiny just hasn't "wowed" me yet.

I sincerely hope my opinion is reversed upon the games release. Destiny promised a lot of potential. But for now...I just don't know.

Probably doesn't help that, to me, it looks like the game's running on the next generation version of the metallurgy engine. As in, every damn thing being rendered looks like it's made of metal. Everything. Even the fabrics and flesh.

I know that seems like a minor nitpick, but way too many engines have suffered from that over the years. The current iterations of the Unreal engine, the id Tech 5 engine used in Rage, etc, etc.

I'm just sick of looking at metal people.

[sub](no offense to the robot people out there)[/sub]

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Vigormortis said:
The more I see of this game, the more it just looks like "Halo meets Borderlands meets Defiance".

I'm generally a fairly big fan of Bungie, but Destiny just hasn't "wowed" me yet.

I sincerely hope my opinion is reversed upon the games release. Destiny promised a lot of potential. But for now...I just don't know.
Same here, to me it looks like "Halo the MMO." The amount of hype that the PR team is doing for it makes it come off as pretentious and shallow.

Vigormortis said:
Probably doesn't help that, to me, it looks like the game's running on the next generation version of the metallurgy engine. As in, every damn thing being rendered looks like it's made of metal. Everything. Even the fabrics and flesh.

I know that seems like a minor nitpick, but way too many engines have suffered from that over the years. The current iterations of the Unreal engine, the id Tech 5 engine used in Rage, etc, etc.
Again, I agree. For me it makes the game look too clean, it's like all the characters are ready to pose for their issue in national geographic. It's same awkwardness that the Star Wars prequels had. Other games have these issues, and Halo games after 3 had symptoms of this, but it was never this bad.

Vigormortis said:
I'm just sick of looking at metal people.

[sub](no offense to the robot people out there)[/sub]
I think the Robot people are more offended by the game not showing enough of the hardships that Robot people go through. Instead it makes their lifestyle look like they have nanomachines giving them daily windex cleaning, and as far as I know, no robots can afford those just yet.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The thing that interests me most about the game is that while yes, it is indeed another shooter, it doesn't appear to be yet another pvp, matchmaking/dedicated servers competitive shooter.

Going to the next generation you've got your CoD, Battlefield, Killzone, Titanfall, ect... but the semi-massively multiplayer online PvE gameplay looks to be unique among a game like Destiny or say the Division. Next gen technology I think will make a bigger impact in those kind of games than the more competitively focused ones.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
And I thought I was crazy for thinking it was Dinklage at E3, that's outstanding!

I've never played any of the Halo games beyond a LAN party here or there (and I've never owned a xbox myself), but I am really, really looking forward to this game.

..In maybe 2 or 3 years.. when I can afford to splurge on a ps4.. Gosh I wish they were making it for PC.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lovely Mixture said:
Same here, to me it looks like "Halo the MMO." The amount of hype that the PR team is doing for it makes it come off as pretentious and shallow.
That might be one of the things that have been bugging me. In every behind-the-scenes dev video I've seen for Destiny, many of the people talking come off as incredibly pretentious and self-congratulatory. Half of the time, when they should be talking about the game, all they do is pat themselves on the back for how amazing they are for making Halo.

Don't get me wrong. I love (most) of the Halo series. And again, as I said, I'm a big fan of Bungie.

Still, for the love of God Bungie...tone it down a bit on the smugness. Jesus...

Again, I agree. For me it makes the game look too clean, it's like all the characters are ready to pose for their issue in national geographic. It's same awkwardness that the Star Wars prequels had. Other games have these issues, and Halo games after 3 had symptoms of this, but it was never this bad.
I think it stems from a lack of attention to detail. A specific type of detail.

Rather than concentrating on material filters and proper shader effects, the go-to graphical trick is to push polygon counts, particle effects, physics iterations, and draw-distances.

It's one thing to make a detailed, realistic looking flesh texture. It's another to make sure you have the proper lighting and shader effects to make it actually look like flesh in the in-game environment.

I think the Robot people are more offended by the game not showing enough of the hardships that Robot people go through. Instead it makes their lifestyle look like they have nanomachines giving them daily windex cleaning, and as far as I know, no robots can afford those just yet.
Only the top 1% can.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
It looks drop dead amazing.
The direction of the aesthetic, the game play, the fucking MUSIC. (Bungie has always had fantastic scores, and the stuff that played in the E3 play demo was just gorgeous)

I'm still a little cautious about the online mechanic, but I'll wait and see how it turns out before I pass any judgements on it.