Destiny May Appear On PC, Says Bungie

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Destiny May Appear On PC, Says Bungie

Bungie's Halo follow-up could see a PC release, to complement its newly-announced PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One incarnations.

In a newly published interview with IGN, Bungie senior writer Eric Osborne offered a non-committal response to the idea that Destiny, the firm's first non-Halo title in years, might not be exclusive to consoles.

"We haven't said yes [to a PC port of Destiny], and we haven't said no," Osborne states. "The more platforms we take on, the more work it ultimately becomes, and what we don't want is to compromise the core experience on any platforms. We have a lot of people who play on PCs. We have a lot of appetite to build that experience. We haven't announced it yet, but we're looking forward to talking more about that kind of stuff in the future."

Vague? Check. Coy? Check. Overall, that's a very typical non-answer, but it does provide a glimmer of hope that Destiny will hit PCs at some point.

Slightly less ambiguous however, is Osborne's response to IGN's question about transferring game saves from one platform to another. In sum, Bungie likes the idea and could make it happen if players really want such a feature, but there are technological hurdles to be overcome. "Any data on our back-end servers and services, like Bungie.net, are ours. We control it, we can do a bunch of fun stuff on that side. So for us, we want to absolutely do the right things for players. But there are some complexities we have to solve that are outside our control," Osborne states.

"But we're absolutely pushing to solve some of those things."

On a related note, Bungie announced this morning that Destiny will receive an official reveal on June 10 as part of Sony's E3 press conference. Expect a deluge of info on what Destiny will eventually look like to come spilling out of Bungie at that time (and possibly a few days before, as the internet is nothing if not frighteningly curious).

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/destiny-could-get-pc-version-cross-platform-saves]

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
"at some point" is key. Halo: Combat Evolved was a nice port for people that just wanted to play a Halo game, but overall it was too little too late for its time. Halo was already outdated by PC Shooter standards at its time, and releasing it on PC over a year later didn't attract too many people.

Destiny right now is stretching for the MMOFPS front. On the PC, it's competing with games such as Borderlands 2 and especially Planetside 2. If they are too late with the release of the PC version, or if it's a half-assed port, people won't buy it.

Halo succeeded on the original XBox because it was pretty much the only exclusive game out at the time. Destiny is working uphill now without Microsoft's relentless pushing.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
After realizing that I probably won't be buying the next console it's relieving to see that I might still get to play this title.

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
Only plan on buying the game if it comes out on PC. If it doesn't then they just lose one more buyer. There really is no excuse for it not coming out on PC really. If it is coming out on a PS4, and the XBone both of those systems run on a x86 platform. Running it on a pc would be the same.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
I'd be fine with it if it were divided - keep the PC gamers on their own servers and consoles on theirs. Gamepads vs. Mouse and keyboards should be kept separate.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
All I have to say is that if they don't make a PC version, it would show a serious misunderstanding of what the current gaming market is like. Making a PC version in these days is more than worth the effort in terms of profits.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Good thinking. There are some baskets in which it may not be wise to place all of one's eggs.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ohnoitsabear said:
All I have to say is that if they don't make a PC version, it would show a serious misunderstanding of what the current gaming market is like. Making a PC version in these days is more than worth the effort in terms of profits.
There anything to back that up? I haven't seen any stats on how games sell PC vs consoles or anything about profits. I'm kinda curious.

Hawk of the Plain

Jul 8, 2009
Well the way the new console generation is shaping up, either it gets a PC port or I'm not buying it. I don't care how good the game is, still not worth getting a xbone or ps4 in their current state.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
Not to mention PC is a fast growing platform now with outlets like Green Man Gaming, GOG, gamersgate and such picking up the slack and offering cheap and easy software keys and downloads, I think next gen s gonna be very interesting indeed, and I think a lot of people like me are moving to PC with the possibility of a Wii U as a dedicated box for nintendo first party content.

I'd liekt o see cross-platform play if this happened though.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
ohnoitsabear said:
There anything to back that up? I haven't seen any stats on how games sell PC vs consoles or anything about profits. I'm kinda curious.
I don't have any exact numbers, as PC sales figures are generally not publicly released. However, judging by the fact that a majority of non-exclusive AAA games are released on PC, and how many of them are making quality ports instead of cheap rush jobs, I think it's safe to say that the PC market is one worth catering to somewhat. If they weren't making money, they wouldn't be making the ports, plain and simple.

I do agree that exact numbers would be interesting, though. I've seen a few comparisons on indie games on PC versus Xbox Live, but I don't think I've seen any for AAA games.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ohnoitsabear said:
Assassin Xaero said:
ohnoitsabear said:
I don't have any exact numbers, as PC sales figures are generally not publicly released. However, judging by the fact that a majority of non-exclusive AAA games are released on PC, and how many of them are making quality ports instead of cheap rush jobs, I think it's safe to say that the PC market is one worth catering to somewhat. If they weren't making money, they wouldn't be making the ports, plain and simple.

I do agree that exact numbers would be interesting, though. I've seen a few comparisons on indie games on PC versus Xbox Live, but I don't think I've seen any for AAA games.
Yeah, only comparison figure I've seen was for Cthulhu Saves the World, and the PC sales passed XBLA in a few days or something insane like that.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Sweet. Now they have to show some actual gameplay and I can be either properly hyped for the game or turned off.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
All I can say is that it'd fucking better. Very much would like to see this game on PC.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Anathrax said:
Sweet. Now they have to show some actual gameplay and I can be either properly hyped for the game or turned off.
Ya the cinematic video they showed did not impress me, there was like no actual depth to it. Just three guys walking along shooting over sized enemies and not bothering to take cover or anything like that. I really don't think they will hit gold twice. Destiny won't be nearly as good as people are hoping I think.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Absolutionis said:
"at some point" is key. Halo: Combat Evolved was a nice port for people that just wanted to play a Halo game, but overall it was too little too late for its time. Halo was already outdated by PC Shooter standards at its time, and releasing it on PC over a year later didn't attract too many people.

Destiny right now is stretching for the MMOFPS front. On the PC, it's competing with games such as Borderlands 2 and especially Planetside 2. If they are too late with the release of the PC version, or if it's a half-assed port, people won't buy it.

Halo succeeded on the original XBox because it was pretty much the only exclusive game out at the time. Destiny is working uphill now without Microsoft's relentless pushing.
I want it!

seriously the more they giveto pc the less reason I have to bother with a console.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Bungie , I'll make it easy... dont bother, the PC community would rather have developers that see the PC as a valid market, and not a after thought so...

... keep your shit.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
They'd have to put the crosshair in the middle of the screen, do you think Bungie are capable of that?