Destiny Review - World of Chorecraft

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Destiny Review - World of Chorecraft

A solid, but thoroughly unimaginative MMO hybrid shooter.

Read Full Article

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was afraid it would turn out like this. I'm glad I decided to give it a pass until the reviews rolled in. I've also heard the campaign is way too short.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
So a solid foundation of bedrock with little in the way of flair. Certainly not worth the ridiculous records it purports to be breaking, but that's what happens when people buy into the hype well ahead of the scouts (i.e. the critics) to give the OK and sound the charge.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
A pretty spot on review in my opinion. I am currently lvl 13 moving through Venus and am having fun, but its not as "epic" as I had imagined it would be. The 'Halo roots' really show in the design/handle of both the Guardian and its enemies. Even though this isn't a 'blow your socks off' game, I am still having a fun time with it though, and enjoy playing with friends which (imo) makes the mission structure more enjoyable, as does the difficulty option.

The Crucible is the series strong suit though, bringing back that strong Halo MP combat feel which I have always enjoyed.

The DLC has a chance to revitalize its singleplayer aspect with more quests/levels and weapons, and I think we can all hope for more Multiplayer maps/game types. I personally want to see the return of the racing game type from Halo :p

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Matches my experience so far. Good, solid combat, and not a whole lot else. I'll probably keep enjoying it, but it doesn't live up to the hype.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
It is a good game and I am having fun but the lack of any story is so annoying. All the story is given through speeches spoken your ghost. Bungie, your world is silent. Your world and envirmoent don't tell us a story. It it weird that I am wishing for cut scenes in a video game? Give me some context to anything that I am doing. Oh well, still a fun game but no world building means that I am really not invested in it. Beat the game and then see how much longer I keep playing it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Sounds fair, not a "believe the hype" (ugh) game but a solid little outing. Interesting that it's less Borderlands and more WOW meets Halo I really did not expect that based on what I saw in previews. I might try it some day but in the meantime if I want to murder random crap across the solar system as a gun-wielding warrior with magic techno powers I'll stick to Warframe.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I felt your criticism of the specific words to be kind of odd, but then again I'm sure you play way more games than I do so I guess I can see words like that becoming cringe worthy. Otherwise the review seems to match up with other things I've been hearing, maybe I'll rent it at some point.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, glad the Glacier PS4 bundle I ordered came with more than just this game. I only wanted it so I could play with friends who were also going to get it, so I never expected the story to draw me in much. Real shame about how they wasted Perter. He has a great voice and as Jim said can be VERY charismatic.

What little I saw of him watching other people playing the game so far shows he's doing exactly what Jim says. Playing a mechanical role, not a character.

Oh well, like Yahtzee said, anything can be fun when done with other people. When I pick up my PS4 I'll play it with my friends and move onto something else when they can't join me.

Thanks for the review Jim. Hope people don't go ape on you like they did when you reviewed Titianfall. ;p

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
6/10? Well, that is about what I expected, but I had hoped for better to come from a studio like Bungie, especially with the much funding. It is pretty disappointing to hear that the game is nowhere near as good as people have made it out to be, but I guess that some companies just cannot keep their winning streak forever. It seems that Activision really bought into the Bungie hype, and got bit in the ass for it, and whilst it is a shame for both companies, and I do hope that Bungie don't face the wrath of the almighty devil that is Bobby Kotic, but Activision have been more than happy to put up with average games over the last few years so it shouldn't really matter *ba dum tsssh*.

Anywho, good review, and I am super glad that I didn't just buy into the hype.

myke66

Sep 11, 2014
Pretty piss poor review in my opinion. Harps on the story and downplays the best parts of the game to push the "edgey" bad review out of Destiny. Author even admits he's still hooked and enjoying it.

The story was not meant to be the main focal point of the game. Anyone who played D3 should understand the concept of Destiny. It's not about a long campaign like Halo was, it was about creating a world and setting where you will be playing in over and over. The game is designed with "end game" in mind. You arent meant to spend most of your time on the campaign, you get through the campaign to begin gearing up your character for the challenges setup to be done at max level.

Any review that isnt taking this into account doesn't understand what Destiny is, and frankly shouldnt be writing reviews.

Dont get me wrong, Destiny has its flaws. Lack of matchmaking for story/public missions, lack of social features, slow pacing regarding loot while leveling up. But these are patchable items, growing pains if you will for any new MMO. This should also be remembered and talked about while reviewing the game, it doesnt end at the content on the disc, Bungie has already stated its intentions for updates and new (free) content. This may be a new concept for console users, but pretty standard for PC gaming.

All in all I personally would give Destiny an 8/10, with the caveat that most of the glaring issues are going to be worked out via patches.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
What's been fascinating me most about this game release is the disparity in the critiques. Or rather, the double standards some critics have been showing. And my point of reference is Titanfall.

Titanfall - Great PvP gameplay! But mediocre story and not much content. 3/10
Destiny - Great PvP gameplay! But mediocre story and not much content. 9/10

I just....don't get it.

Anyway, relatively spot on review compared to my experience so far. But after only a short time playing the game online I find myself yearning to return to one of my other current go-to online PvP or Co-op games. I'd just rather play something else rather than sit for any length of time in Destiny.

It seems to me almost like Bungie has lost their "spark"; their creativity. It sounds cliche but Destiny just feels soulless.

Perhaps future content updates can remedy this. I don't know.

myke66

Sep 11, 2014
Vigormortis said:
What's been fascinating me most about this game release is the disparity in the critiques. Or rather, the double standards some critics have been showing. And my point of reference is Titanfall.

I just....don't get it.

Anyway, relatively spot on review compared to my experience so far. But after only a short time playing the game online I find myself yearning to return to one of my other current go-to online PvP or Co-op games. I'd just rather play something else rather than sit for any length of time in Destiny.

It seems to me almost like Bungie has lost their "spark"; their creativity. It sounds cliche but Destiny just feels soulless.

Perhaps future content updates can remedy this. I don't know.
You explained the reasoning for your feeling in your opening remarks. "A short time playing". The game fleshes itself out the longer you play. I challenge you to come back here after you have completed the first Strike on the Moon and see if your feels are the same. I will tell you that it didnt really "hook" me until around level 10-15.

This is my main gripe with this review, the thing reads like the author never even reached max level to see all the game has to offer.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
myke66 said:
Pretty piss poor review in my opinion. Harps on the story and downplays the best parts of the game to push the "edgey" bad review out of Destiny. Author even admits he's still hooked and enjoying it.
You have 2 posts. You joined today. This community totally values your input.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Vigormortis said:

But, Destiny isn't really competing with Titanfall. The only thing that really connects them is that they are both science fiction FPS games where you shoot stuff. Apart from that, can you really say that Destiny is in the same vein as Titanfall?

That's like comparing an FPS like STALKER to Call of Duty because they both have Russians. They really aren't compatible.

Calabi

Dec 4, 2007
myke66 said:

The story was not meant to be the main focal point of the game. Anyone who played D3 should understand the concept of Destiny. It's not about a long campaign like Halo was, it was about creating a world and setting where you will be playing in over and over. The game is designed with "end game" in mind. You arent meant to spend most of your time on the campaign, you get through the campaign to begin gearing up your character for the challenges setup to be done at max level.

Any review that isnt taking this into account doesn't understand what Destiny is, and frankly shouldnt be writing reviews.

Dont get me wrong, Destiny has its flaws. Lack of matchmaking for story/public missions, lack of social features, slow pacing regarding loot while leveling up. But these are patchable items, growing pains if you will for any new MMO. This should also be remembered and talked about while reviewing the game, it doesnt end at the content on the disc, Bungie has already stated its intentions for updates and new (free) content. This may be a new concept for console users, but pretty standard for PC gaming.

All in all I personally would give Destiny an 8/10, with the caveat that most of the glaring issues are going to be worked out via patches.
Your not employed by Activision are you? Good first post though, got to get in with the "Oh it gets good after 20 hours caveat." You should have known that Jim, for shame. Games arent meant to be enjoyed from the start anymore, they arent meant to be judged on what they are NOW anymore. You've got to judge them on there potential and there future content, and that the grinding and doing the same thing over and over gets fun somehow after lots of hours.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
So a incredibly expensive and hyped game didn?t deliver on its promise and potential, that?s pretty much been this year in a nutshell, thankfully smash bros is probably going to be good so this year won?t be a complete disappointment.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Uriain said:
The DLC has a chance to revitalize its singleplayer aspect with more quests/levels and weapons, and I think we can all hope for more Multiplayer maps/game types. I personally want to see the return of the racing game type from Halo :p
I think that's the worst part though. They've repeatedly stated that they will be supporting the game with extensive DLC for years. At first it sounds like they're actually investing in their player base, but the entire SP game is so short that what they are really doing is forcing the players to invest in them. They are holding the majority of the core SP game ransom.

myke66

Sep 11, 2014
Calabi said:
myke66 said:

Your not employed by Activision are you? Good first post though, got to get in with the "Oh it gets good after 20 hours caveat." You should have known that Jim, for shame. Games arent meant to be enjoyed from the start anymore, they arent meant to be judged on what they are NOW anymore. You've got to judge them on there potential and there future content, and that the grinding and doing the same thing over and over gets fun somehow after lots of hours.

He should have, you're right. Thats why Bungie had the review embargo up, for this exact reason.

Please don't get my comments twisted, i'm not saying Destiny is a perfect game, but it still deserves a fair review for the type of game it is.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
myke66 said:
You explained the reasoning for your feeling in your opening remarks. "A short time playing". The game fleshes itself out the longer you play. I challenge you to come back here after you have completed the first Strike on the Moon and see if your feels are the same. I will tell you that it didnt really "hook" me until around level 10-15.

This is my main gripe with this review, the thing reads like the author never even reached max level to see all the game has to offer.
Your projecting a bias onto me that I don't have, or you didn't understand the context of my post. I didn't say I've only played it for a very small stint and stopped. I played it for hours with my friend and it failed to hook me. Even as our characters gained levels, skills, weapons, etc, the fun factor never increased. At that point it feels like a very standard MMO-grind-fest. Hell, many reviews have even been saying as much; and that includes high-level characters. Even the end game sounds barren. (though the friend-only raids might remedy this)

So what I was saying was: after sinking some decent time into the game, further visits to Destiny's world aren't appealing.

In the future, please don't immediately jump to the conclusion that someone with a differing opinion to yours just hasn't "dedicated" themselves enough to the material. And unless something drastic changes with the game, my "feels" will remain the same.

Besides, if a game basically says, "This game isn't fun at all until you've already sunk dozens or hundreds of hours into it.", then it's a terrible game. It's one of the primary reasons I have stayed the hell away from MMOs like World of Warcraft. It makes me cringe every time someone says to me, "You have to keep at it! The game gets fun at level 70!"

No. Fuck that.