Destiny Review - World of Chorecraft

myke66

Sep 11, 2014
Raziel said:
No you won't love this if you like loot games like diablo. Diablo and good games like it have a steady progress curve. Destiny has a freaking wall that you have to grind for DAYS unless you are super lucky to get even 1 piece of improved equipment.

If you cannot see how every aspect of this game is flawed you are willfully ignorant of games that do these things right.And lack perspective just because you like it.
There is no "wall", you are making that up. There are multiple progression paths to get your lvl 20+. Every aspect of the game is not flawed, thats a hyperbole just trying to bash the game. Sounds familiar.

This game does have a progression curve. Notice how the monsters gain more and more abilities as you level up? Run the earth missions on heroic and you'll see the "curve".

Sounds like you haven't really played Destiny and are just regurgitating random things you've read on the internet.

And seriously, you complain about grinding for days on an MMO. This isnt a flaw of the game, this is the intended gameplay. Again, if you like games like Diablo this is normal. You do nothing BUT grind in diablo.

Optional Upgrade Paths...
>Strikes
>Heroic Missions
>Daily/Weekly Missions
>Strange Coins
>Motes of Light
>Vanguard Marks
>Crucible Marks
>Engrams
>Raiding

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
I really think the thing I find funniest about this review, is that on an add I saw on Hulu, Destiny quoted the Escapist in saying something about a "Masterful" game.

I actually went back and watched the review again after seeing that, so I could laugh my ass off.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Well average is certainly better than bad I suppose. I guess they can always try again with DLC story updates and such. I'm pretty sure the only thing they are worrying about is making back that 500 million dollar development cost. So hey, whatever keeps people playing, they are solid.

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
ash12181987 said:
I really think the thing I find funniest about this review, is that on an add I saw on Hulu, Destiny quoted the Escapist in saying something about a "Masterful" game.

I actually went back and watched the review again after seeing that, so I could laugh my ass off.
I honestly dont understand why the escapist gets this attention with these underqualified staff like Jim... this review is more a statement of his attitude towards an overhiped game than actually properly giving the game the score it deserves

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Good review, also recently watched the Angry Joe review also. Only thing ive heard about this game is that its mediocre though they promise it will get better in the future with extra expansion packs. If im charged full price then i expect an awesome product, not a mediocre product with promises it will get better if i throw them more money.

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
benvorbeck said:
ash12181987 said:

I honestly dont understand why the escapist gets this attention with these underqualified staff like Jim... this review is more a statement of his attitude towards an overhiped game than actually properly giving the game the score it deserves
Unqualified?

Okay, whatever. Man, if only the escapist had those old and wizzened reviewers... those guys who their grandfathers had been board game reviewers. All these Nouveau riche game reviewers. What is the world coming to.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
So basically, it's the Waterworld of video games. It's an incredibly expensively produced product that looks incredibly pretty, but the story's mediocre, the gameplay can be a chore, and unlike Waterworld none of the characters are memorable at all.

Gigantic budgets do not guarantee a great game, that's for sure. At least that's a comforting thought for developers wanting to make better games with much smaller budgets.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Flunk said:
I hate any shooter that requires you "level up" to do basic things. It's infuriating to have my aim screwed up or be otherwise artificially limited. It ruins the whole thing for me. So now that I know that I'm going to give Destiny a pass, glad I read this review.

If they must have unlocks they should just lock down the weapons so you have less choice and can unlock more choice or slight upgrades.
No the levelling system is nothing like that. You are just as good with a gun at level 1 as you are at 21. When you level (which you gain skills even without going up a level) just lets you use up to lvl 20 gear which of course you think would be better than level 1 gear. But the reality of it is it's not. All the level system does (which is separate from your skills) is put a wall between you and higher level areas. Your skills give you bonuses to armor and recovery as well as your special class specific space magic. And grenades, you have to gain the skill to throw grenades.

So here is how the guns vs level work. I am a level 27 hunter decked out with legendary lvl 20 gear. I go to Earth which is the starter area filled with level 1 mooks. My auto rifle gun damage is 250 (roughly) so I should roflstomp these guys right? No because I do about 15 points body damage to them so it takes me 3-4 shots to kill them just like it did when I first got there at level 1. Although they have a harder time killing me (I would probably have to idle for 5 minutes for them to do it). Now if I go down some stairs in the same area there is 3 level 18 elites hanging out (because exploring is frowned upon) I do upwards of 50 to 60 body damage to them and they hurt me more. If you were to go down those stairs at say level 5 you will die. You will not hurt them. They are immune to your level 5 bullets. And if they hit you with any splash damage it is over. The levelling system is just a way to force you to grind for gear. Since once you hit 20 you stop levelling and any level past that comes from your armor. And let me tell you that the drop rates for gear are terrible. But you won't be able to do any of the high level content unless you are above level 20 (which other than the raid all the content is the same with tougher enemies).

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
myke66 said:
Raziel said:
No you won't love this if you like loot games like diablo. Diablo and good games like it have a steady progress curve. Destiny has a freaking wall that you have to grind for DAYS unless you are super lucky to get even 1 piece of improved equipment.

If you cannot see how every aspect of this game is flawed you are willfully ignorant of games that do these things right.And lack perspective just because you like it.
There is no "wall", you are making that up. There are multiple progression paths to get your lvl 20+. Every aspect of the game is not flawed, thats a hyperbole just trying to bash the game. Sounds familiar.

This game does have a progression curve. Notice how the monsters gain more and more abilities as you level up? Run the earth missions on heroic and you'll see the "curve".

Sounds like you haven't really played Destiny and are just regurgitating random things you've read on the internet.

And seriously, you complain about grinding for days on an MMO. This isnt a flaw of the game, this is the intended gameplay. Again, if you like games like Diablo this is normal. You do nothing BUT grind in diablo.

Optional Upgrade Paths...
>Strikes
>Heroic Missions
>Daily/Weekly Missions
>Strange Coins
>Motes of Light
>Vanguard Marks
>Crucible Marks
>Engrams
>Raiding
I have played Destiny. I have a lvl 27 hunter. And there is a huge wall. Hmm lets do a lvl 24 strike for a lvl 16 piece of gear. The raid is behind a lvl 26 wall (amongst other things like no match making as well as the weekly daily strikes). And what was the reward for those people who did the raid? Oh yeah armor shaders.

Diablo is all grind sure. But grinding with surprises. Any dungeon you run is going to spit out loot. Sure it may not be as good as what you have but it will be close and useable. At least it is worth trying. Destiny doesn't make it worth trying. After running 20 lvl 24 strikes to get the vanguard marks weekly cap so the next week I could buy a couple pieces of armor I saw 2 a total of 2 legendary engrams drop (neither of which were for me). And I don't know if they actually got a legendary from them or if it was just a blue. The marks, coins and light are just bloody currency (and don't forget you need reputation to be able to spend marks which you will max out on marks long before you hit the rep requirements). Diablo is about grinding for the excitement of picking up that really cool item that you didn't know you needed til you found it. Destiny is about working 9 - 5 for less than minimum wage so you can buy that gear you need so you can work for minimum wage the next week. But hey in Destiny if you are maxed on your marks and can't afford that helmet or gun you need (because the cap is 100 and a helmet or gun is 120 - 150) you can always shoot a cave for hours and maybe get some loot that way (because that is the only way). Just don't expect those legendary engrams to turn into legendary gear. Odds are they are just rares