Destiny reviews allegations against streamers and teaches you how to treat sexual situations.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So you may have heard of Destiny, hes known as hard mode for the internet debate community and asshole to a large number of people on both sides that don't like him. But he has a habit of doing good research on topics he wants to know about and these vids are him digging into the allegations and trying to determine if they are real.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So you may have heard of Destiny, hes known as hard mode for the internet debate community and asshole to a large number of people on both sides that don't like him. But he has a habit of doing good research on topics he wants to know about and these vids are him digging into the allegations and trying to determine if they are real.
Fucking hell. Videos over 1h and 3h? This seems to me precisely the sort of thing that videos are NOT the best medium for. Take your 3h20 research and sum it up in a five minute article, dude.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fucking hell. Videos over 1h and 3h? This seems to me precisely the sort of thing that videos are NOT the best medium for. Take your 3h20 research and sum it up in a five minute article, dude.
Nah, I like the long. One of my favorite Youtube shows had a 24HR stream for its 50th episode.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Doing research takes time.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Does one really need over three hours' worth of Destiny babbling into a mic to uncover the Da Vinci Code-level secret technique of "avoid after-parties and mixers like the plague if you're within spitting distance of the games industry, and for the love of God stay out of other people's hotel rooms"?

I mean, is this really rocket science? It's been established fact for ten to fifteen years people in the games industry act in ways frat boys would deem distasteful behind closed doors. The only reason this behavior self-perpetuates is because acting like a drunk and drugged-out buffoon at industry events somehow passes for "networking", and each and every time there's drama it's the buffoons that investigate the buffoons and decide the buffoons have done nothing wrong, and how dare you insist otherwise, now onto the blacklist with you.

It's like a vidya version of the "Skull and Bones" and "Piers Gaveston" society conspiracy theories where, to be an "insider" you have to do something unspeakably awful that gives others blackmail material on you, in order to destroy you if you try to get out or whistleblow.

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Doing research takes time.
Yes. That's why you should compose an easily digestible summary of it.

Does one really need over three hours' worth of Destiny babbling into a mic
I only this morning found out Destiny even existed. That my first introduction was a 3h video makes me wish I hadn't.

I might be doing him a disservice, maybe he's got some really amazing things to say on all sorts of topics, but I'm so jaded from the endless masses of tools spouting mediocrity and bile that I just can't bring myself to even find out.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I wonder if this happens because people don't know their limits due to being unpopular or isolated growing up so they think acting crazy is what you're supposed to do or they're making up for lost time or something.

This feels like the sort of thing that happens when someone who was banned from drinking growing up turns 21 and drinks so much to the point of getting alcohol poisoning.

But yeah, my idea of a party is playing fighting games until 4 am and getting in and out after, no need for drunken sexual assault to be involved. That's what we have videogames for.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yes. That's why you should compose an easily digestible summary of it.
I would argue it's not always possible to do so. I made a thread talking about YMS blowing open the Kimba/Lion King controversy with a video of two hours. In the cases where people are caught up in a huge cultural lie, nothing short of large overwhelming evidence will convince people, if you don't then they will instead default to believing the large numbers of people that were parroting the same thing as apposed to this one person saying something to the contrary.

Now in the case of Destiny though, that is not what it is. I've watched a bit of these videos and the only reason they are so long is because it's just him putting up his whole stream of him "researching" these allegations. The YMS video was long because he had a wealth of information to share and repeat so it got through to people, this is a case of someone just posting their entire stream.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I would argue it's not always possible to do so.
It's always possible to do so. In my line of work, I research full time for a whole year, write a ~5000-word article for publication that'll take one of my peers about 30-60 mins to read, and that publication starts with a 200-250 word abstract that summarises it for anyone who doesn't want to spend more than a minute wondering what the gist is.

Feel free to splurge your 3h talkathon onto the internet. But for heaven's sakes, also make a quick version that's five-ten minutes.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I only this morning found out Destiny even existed. That my first introduction was a 3h video makes me wish I hadn't.
Just imagine what would happen if MauLer and Ben Shapiro fucked, and the ass-baby came out with MauLer's "exceptional" verbosity and Ben Shapiro's pigeon-chess "debate" tactics. Except he's a wannabe breadtuber, but got rejected from the collective for dick-riding neoliberalism.

That's Destiny.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It's always possible to do so. In my line of work, I research full time for a whole year, write a ~5000-word article for publication that'll take one of my peers about 30-60 mins to read, and that publication starts with a 200-250 word abstract that summarises it for anyone who doesn't want to spend more than a minute wondering what the gist is.
That's what a video summary is...

Feel free to splurge your 3h talkathon onto the internet. But for heaven's sakes, also make a quick version that's five-ten minutes.
So make a quick version that someone will watch and then write off?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Just imagine what would happen if MauLer and Ben Shapiro fucked, and the ass-baby was a wannabe breadtuber, but got rejected for dick-riding neoliberalism. That's Destiny.
I don't know who MauLer is, and I'm only negligibly aware of Ben Shapiro as some kind of mouth-breather that no-one seems to like or respect.

Now matter how shit you might think the mainstream media is, Internet media personalities are generally people who couldn't even make it in the lower dregs of mainstream media.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
But yeah, my idea of a party is playing fighting games until 4 am and getting in and out after, no need for drunken sexual assault to be involved. That's what we have videogames for.
It was probably a lot more fun when you could get away with it

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I will say, the length of the videos isn't off-putting to me. There's a person I watch on YouTube named Fredrik Knudsen. He has a series called Down the Rabbit Hole, and his videos tend to range from 30 minutes at the shortest end to, IIRC, 2 and a half hours on the longest video. He does that because he felt his efforts to cut down on earlier subjects tended to give his videos too much of a "Cliff Notes summary" feel, rather than the entire picture. I can respect that.

My issue is with Destiny's delivery. As noted in the OP, Destiny can come off as a dick, which makes watching him for literally hours not quite work for me. In addition, there is a difference between what Knudsen does (essentially, a full retelling of a scene/person) and what Destiny is doing here (an investigation into a specific incident)). If you can watch a half-hour (minus commercials) program and learn enough about an incident to know what they are talking about, and an hour-long program (minus commercials) can cover a documentary program with interviews, why make these videos 2-3 hours without commercials?