Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Destiny beat out favourites Alien: Isolation and Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor at this year's BAFTA awards.

At this year's British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards, Bungie's MMOFPS Destiny took home the coveted "Game of The Year" award... despite not winning any of the other categories it was nominated in. The move shocked and confused the audience, who were expecting favorites such as Alien: Isolation and Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor to take home the grand prize.

"There was an audible ripple of surprise in the press room as Destiny took the best game BAFTA," wrote BBC's Adam Rosser [http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31862717].

Accepting the award, Bungie's president Harold Ryan thanked the game's playerbase for its continued support. "It's always a labor of love that we do because of the passion of the fans," he said. "They really are the ones who drive you to put the energy and time into putting the game together."

The rest of the categories in the awards ceremony and their respective winners are as follows:

British game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Debut game - Never Alone (Upper One Games)
Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
Performer - Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us: Left Behind
Artistic achievement - Lumino City (State of Play)
Audio achievement - Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly)
Family game - Minecraft: Console Editions (Mojang/4J Studios)
Game design - Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions)
Game innovation - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)
Mobile and handheld game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Multiplayer game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment)
Music - Far Cry 4 (Cliff Martinez, Tony Gronick and Jerome Angelot)
Original property - Valiant Hearts (Ubisoft Studios)
Persistent game - League of Legends (Riot Games)
Sport game - OlliOlli (Roll7)
Ones to watch - Chambara (Overly Kinetic)
Bafta fellowship - David Braben (Frontier Developments)

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31862717]

cpukill

Feb 26, 2011
....god damn you Brits must have some really awesome mind-altering substances.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
cpukill said:
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Farcry 4 won best music? Seriously? I would've even understood it if Destiny had won that one but seriously Farcry 4? Come on. There were so many better soundtracks last year...like Transistor's...Shadowrun Dragonfall's...gah. I don't usually get that annoyed at these awards shows but this gets to me somehow.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.
So... You haven't played it? Are you just parroting what someone once told you about it?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I played Destiny for several months and had a good deal of fun with it. It controls beautifully and if control / "feel" of the game was the only metric by which we judged games, this game deserves the GOTY.

However, there are several other factors that influence the quality of a game like Destiny. This game has some of the worst design decisions / mechanics I've ever seen in a game. The randomness alone (that determines your rewards) is enough to make people hate this game. Add outdated MMO-style design to the game, and it's barely a 3 star title. Having weekly resets and timed events and other garbage like that just got tiring. It doesn't matter how many times I play an event each week, I should be rewarded each time. Having a weekly reset is a blatant attempt at lengthening the game.

It's a shame, really - like I said, the core gameplay feels fantastic. Getting a series of headshots off with a hand cannon / scout rifle is just so satisfying. Now surround that core with horse shit and you get Destiny.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Klagermeister said:
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
So... You haven't played it? Are you just parroting what someone once told you about it?
I've played both borderlands 1 & 2 as well as Destiny and beaten crota on hard mode, so I can say with all honesty that Destiny hsa a loot system similar to borderlands, but worse. It has bosses like borderlands, but they are all boring bullet sponges. Overall Destiny should not have won this GOTY there were far better games out that are so much better designed, and don't milk you for more money after you put down $60 dollars on it ($90 if you bought special edition).

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Klagermeister said:
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
I'm talking with Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie? It's like a dream come true. That aside I've watched videos, read the official guide (my way of killing time at Wal-Mart and Best Buy), and yeah it does seem a lot like Borderlands.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Drugs at the BAFTAS! DRUGS AT THE BAFTAS!

That really is a load of monkey trumpets, though. I find myself somewhat peeved that other outstandingly good games were robbed of the chance. HashtagTheBastards.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
"British game"? That seems so deafeatist. "We know nothing made in Britain is gonna get on the list, so let's just make sure we get *something*.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
So the game that is a paragon of some of the industry's shittiest practices which utilizes a gear treadmill to create the illusion of content is the game that won...

This is one of the many reasons for why I find it hard to take game journalism seriously. Though, in their defense, award shows in general are usually just industry wide circle jerks.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I always told myself I'd never fall for the bandwagon, but I really wonder - I really do wonder - if ActiBlizzion-slash-Bungie paid off a few judges...

It's dismaying. Seriously, horribly dismaying. If all it takes to win a BAFTA, nowadays, is to rinse-and-repeat your way through Halo's feature list with some tacked-on MMO mechanics, then my already frail interest in the biggest AAA releases just got a whole lot flimsier.

I guess most of us live on a different planet than the judges.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Destiny being GOTY? What a fucking joke. There's several games that are easily better than Destiny.

To say Bungie dropped the ball on that game is an understatement.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
A DLC got two awards?

Ah fuck it, all these award thingies never make any sense.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
The BAFTAs have always been fairly embarrassing when it comes to Games.
Lest we forget, they gave a Lifetime Acheivement award to Peter Fucking Molyneux.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Still more deserved than Dragon Age Inquisition winning the GOTY at the Video Game Awards.

So BAFTA > VGAs

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Just proof the BAFTA's are complete bullshit. Another award show down. One day it will turn completely into the VGA's and literally only publishers will give a flying fuck at all about it. Consider respect for them completely gone in my book. It's one thing to like a game that a lot of people didn't and even give it a game of the year, but there were clearly much much better games released, but they didn't pay the judges for a bullshit award.