Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Def25

Feb 24, 2015
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
....god damn you Brits must have some really awesome mind-altering substances.
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.
Wolfenstein was better, just saying if you haven't played it, please do. Speaking of which how did wolfenstein not get the game debut award? It is the first game the studio made and it is far better than never alone.

While destiny is laughable for goty, last of us a 2013 game getting the story award is showing these people are clueless.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Destiny was a lot of things, GOTY is not one of them. It wasn't even a particularly bad game... aside from the loot system, and the leveling system, and the half a game it was... but yeah.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Def25 said:
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.
Wolfenstein was better, just saying if you haven't played it, please do. Speaking of which how did wolfenstein not get the game debut award? It is the first game the studio made and it is far better than never alone.

While destiny is laughable for goty, last of us a 2013 game getting the story award is showing these people are clueless.
Yeah that's on my "to get" list, along with *looks at Steam* 46 other things. Sadly being unable to work I'm kinda broke.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Haha that was a good joke, but seriously what game got GOTY?

Honestly that is a load of shite, even if Destiny wasn't a mess I could name plenty of games more deserving of the award.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Still more deserved than Dragon Age Inquisition winning the GOTY at the Video Game Awards.

So BAFTA > VGAs
Not by a long shot IMO. At least Dragon Age is an improvement on Dragon Age 2, which is good enough for a lot of people. Destiny is just plain boring shooting at bullet sponges and exploitative of people's money with the DLC.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well, it's a video game award show.

What were you expecting? The best games to win?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
So, you dismiss Destiny because it's too much like Borderlands, but then praise Far Cry 4, which is basically copy/pasted Far Cry 3? Riiiiiight...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Um...okay? I completely disagree with that, but whatever. I've never gotten bored with a game before, at least not before I beat it once. Angry, frustrated, sad, depressed, ill (thank you, Spec Ops), and happy, yes. But never bored.

Destiny bored me. The game has no soul. It's pretty, and the gameplay is great, but that's it. It's story is so...bare-bones, so uninspired, so phoned in that is just couldn't hold my interest. I got to the point where I could go to Venus and I just haven't cared to continued. That's bad.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Jandau said:
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
So, you dismiss Destiny because it's too much like Borderlands, but then praise Far Cry 4, which is basically copy/pasted Far Cry 3? Riiiiiight...
Hey, at least Far Cry 4 is part of a series, so it's not too unheard of to have the games be similar. And it's not like the gameplay in far cry 3/4 gets repetitive nearly as fast as Destiny.

Destiny on the other hand, it's just a boring, beautiful skybox filled with the same 7 enemies, full of pointless weapon/gear drops, literally no story, and some of the most drab, uninteresting writing I've heard since Ride to Hell.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The 'shoulda just left it alone' DLC won best story?! And here I was sorta, kinda, maybe thinking about easing up on my extreme dislike for this DLC and give it another shot. Then you had to go and give it a freaking award for being poo.

Poor Wolfenstein: The New Order not getting any love... What the hell is wrong with you, BAFTA?

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
My guess is that the Americans of yesteryear knew what they were doing when they tossed that tea in the harbor. That shit is dope.

Literally. Because why else would Destiny be GOTY? It's story is bollocks, it's VA is bland and boring, it's gameplay is run of the mill. Wow, what a GOTY!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Oh. So the BAFTAs are completely worthless where games are concerned. Good to know.
I'll assume that applies to every other medium too.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
I felt quite surprised with some of the awards this year - and I'm pretty sure that some developers were too. Some of the nominations were... weird, to say the list. I mean, AssCreed Unity and FC4 nominated for "Artistic achievement"? Things like "OlliOlli" winning over big titles like FIFA (in Britain!)? FC4 winning the "Music" award, over The Sailor's Dream, Banner Saga, and Fantasia: Music Evolved? And then Destiny winning GOTY, when it didn't win any other award... really weird.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Award shows are all bullshit anyway so I am not surprised it won. I bet the judges didn't play half the games being judged and if they did they were like Jim Sterling's Squirty Plays on YouTube where he gives a game a bad review after his game is made unplayable by continuing his game after an initial screw up.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
A piece of DLC won Story, "Best family game" is a port, Innovation was a walking simulator and Destiny won GOTY ._.

BAFTAs are nothing if not sellouts sometimes. Or eagerly trailing behind the Oscars >_<