Destiny Trailer Lays Down the Law of the Jungle

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Destiny Trailer Lays Down the Law of the Jungle

A space wolf is nothing without its space pack.

Bungie's upcoming MMOFPS Destiny has the attention of quite a few among the gaming community, but we haven't seen much of the game first-hand. A recent live-action trailer sheds some light on the intra-stellar adventures coming in the full game, and ... well, we still haven't seen any first-hand footage of the game. But we at least get a gorgeous video, directed by Iron Man director Jon Favreau and featuring some chilling prose.

In Destiny, you play as a Guardian of the City, one of the defenders of humanity's last bastion on Earth. Each of the three classes of Guardians is impressive, but if this trailer is any indication of their role in society, they're downright legendary. Then again, it's hard not to romanticize the notion of talented warriors flying across the galaxy to combat vicious alien enemies. Especially the Hunter, who takes down half a dozen gigantic Cabal warriors with a single revolver - somebody needs to nerf that guy.

The core gameplay of Destiny is at least somewhat present in the video: the Hunter, Titan, and Warlock classes work in tandem to take out a variety of enemies, and we get a glimpse of human and alien vehicles. This is just a taste of what's to come, though: the trailer tips us off to the fact that Bungie will be debuting its worldwide gameplay reveal at the PlayStation E3 press conference on June 10, 2013.

Destiny will launch on the PS3, PS4, Xbox360, and Xbox One, though we'll have to wait for the E3 press conference for more details. It is interesting to note that Bungie decided to hold the big reveal at Sony's party, rather than Microsoft's or some third-party event - it seems that the former Halo developer is taking its new multiplatform freedom to heart.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2013/digital/games/first-look-the-live-action-trailer-for-bungies-destiny-exclusive-1200486874/#!1/activision-and-bungies-destiny/]

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Guys. I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening.

God dammit Bungie, you know what I like. Still my favorite developer.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You know what I took away from this trailer? Gus is in this game!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
So... we have seen a video with some crappy CGI and some concept art..... and people are excited about this? This is quickly becoming the most hyped up game ever. My god, people! User your sense!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Baresark said:
So... we have seen a video with some crappy CGI and some concept art..... and people are excited about this? This is quickly becoming the most hyped up game ever. My god, people! User your sense!
It's simple really. Bungie is making a first person shooter. Bungie has made a name for itself making a very popular first person shooter. Therefore, it's safe to say that people who like said first person shooter will like this one.

Besides, the style is just gorgeous and the concept is pretty interesting. There aren't that many universes where Humanity has space travel but is still stuck inside the Solar System. Apart from Cowboy Bebop that is.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Baresark said:
The most hyped up game ever is pretty exaggerated.

Nobody's calling it a 10/10 yet, can't people be excited about a new game from a developer that they may think has a good track record?

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
erttheking said:
Baresark said:
It's simple really. Bungie is making a first person shooter. Bungie has made a name for itself making a very popular first person shooter. Therefore, it's safe to say that people who like said first person shooter will like this one.

Besides, the style is just gorgeous and the concept is pretty interesting. There aren't that many universes where Humanity has space travel but is still stuck inside the Solar System. Apart from Cowboy Bebop that is.
Compatriot Block said:
Baresark said:

Nobody's calling it a 10/10 yet, can't people be excited about a new game from a developer that they may think has a good track record?
Oh hey Bioware, you gave us some fantastic games like Dragon's Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1. There is no way you can fail now since you have gone to EA. :p

Now just replace Bioware with Bungie and EA with Activision.

Edit: My personal favorite. Replace Insomniac with Bioware and EA with EA. :p

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Negatempest said:
erttheking said:
Baresark said:

Compatriot Block said:
Baresark said:

Oh hey Bioware, you gave us some fantastic games like Dragon's Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1. There is no way you can fail now since you have gone to EA. :p

1. Bioware made Mass Effect 2 under EA, which was my favorite in the trilogy.

2. Most of the complaints directed at those who didn't like the newer games where that things like the RPG elements were being dumbed down. Bungie is going from a linear shooter to a non-linear shooter. Pretty much the opposite of dumbing down.

3. Activision doesn't really have the same reputation as buying out developers and destroying them that EA does. From what I've seen, the complaints concerning them are more about them milking Call of Duty to death. Plus they have published some good games without destroying the series if what I've read is anything to go by. Like Prototype and Transformers War/Fall of Cybertron.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Negatempest said:
erttheking said:
Baresark said:

Compatriot Block said:
Baresark said:

Edit: My personal favorite. Replace Insomniac with Bioware and EA with EA. :p
Oh hey, bad games are sometimes released.

Better assume all games to be released in the future will also be bad.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Lovely looking trailer, great storytelling there... and nothing that tells me anything I didn't know about the game already. Yay...

Jan 29, 2009
Baresark said:
It's rare we get to see a big new IP pushed forward and supported so strongly by a developer, especially since they seem to actually care about what it turns out to be as a game. I know it's not much, I guess I'm excited to see something that isn't a modern military shooter where you blow up brown people in nonspecifiedistan.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Compatriot Block said:
Guys. I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening.

God dammit Bungie, you know what I like. Still my favorite developer.
This 100% this.

Anyway, I TRIED the disk port and the money still won't make anything happen.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
In case anyone was wondering, "The Law of the Jungle" is from Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book]. According to Wikipedia,
The tales in the book (and also those in The Second Jungle Book which followed in 1895, and which includes five further stories about Mowgli) are fables, using animals in an anthropomorphic manner to give moral lessons. The verses of The Law of the Jungle, for example, lay down rules for the safety of individuals, families and communities.
You can find the passage here [http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/law_of_jungle.html].

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
Baresark said:
Normally, I'd be right there with you: any other game -ANY other game- and I would be right there, but I think this one time, just this once, I'm going to let myself get a little excited over this upcoming title. Bungie hasn't let me down thus far (save for Halo: Reach, but then I never considered it BAD, just 'meh'), so I'm gonna give them a little bit of slack and show some trust in them.

Once in awhile, you just gotta let yourself look forward to and get a little excited over an upcoming title, but that's just what I think.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
erttheking said:
Baresark said:

problem is if any one new anything they would know alot of people who made halo left bungie and went to 343, so bungie is a rather different studio know and also people wouldnt have got their knickers in a twist (im feeling very british today) about 343 making halo

and while i dont doubt their is talent at bungie im not getting excited unitl we actually anything about this game however his voice did massage my ears into a mini orgasm