Destructiods backhand at ME3 "Fans" and my thoughts (please, add yours)

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
After being spammed by angry Mass Effect 3 complainers to do a piece on their charity work, destructiod did as asked, lambasting them for their paper-thin agenda and the aformentioned spam in a highly sarcastic article.

http://www.destructoid.com/raging-mass-effect-3-fans-do-something-for-charity-223811.phtml

Now...i didnt particularly like the ending but i dont see why its so bad, and no one has been able to explain to me, in simple steps lacking huge logical gaps, what the problem is. All i ever see is frothing rage and stupidity. So i dont really know what people are upset about.

I will say that, in my mind, doing charity work is always good. Flooding gaming news site inboxes with obnoxious cries for attention, while shallow, doesnt offset the good of charity work.

As for the "movement" (i guess you could call it) to rewrite the ending of ME3...even if the ending of ME3 had been horrible in my eyes, like really horrible, like maybe a montage of Shepard and Anderson having sex atop a burning reaper set to a Rebecca Black song, i couldnt support the call to rewrite the end. Because we didnt develop the game. We, most of us here horribly spoiled Americans, may feel intitled to any level of instand gratification, BUT WE ARE NOT. Lucasfilms doesnt owe you a no-Jarjar version of the most recent three Star Wars films, McDonalds does not owe you a lifetime supply of Triple Bacon-and-Bacon McBacons and Bioware doesnt owe you the happy ending of your wildest dreams.
Besides, WHOS ENDING WOULD WE USE? Because MY ideal ending for ONE of my Shepards, which involves the Crucible turning out to disable the ME fields off all the galaxies Reapers, isnt yours. Mine has Harbinger comedicly collpasing under his own weight as "(Dont Fear) The Reaper" plays. The closing shot is of Shapard, standing atop a dead Reaper, his Grall in one hand and Tali wrapped around his waist, throwing a fist into the air in triumph as the wind whips his torn cape about. The entire thing would look like a godamn Manowar cover.

But thats just me. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video
I agree with his opinion on peoples reactions to ending. I was frustrated by the DLC but the process of making game ment it probably wasnt gonna be done by release date. Not to mention he has a point about how cheap games are nowdays.

I would still like someone to explain exactly whats wrong with the ending though.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
They don't have to cater to fans, but then again fans don't have to buy their games. And don't cite IGN, they are for from a credible source since they get most of their revenue from tipple A game ads.

Haven't played the games myself, but it seems like the pulled a Human Revolution ending, where you basically enter a room and press three buttons to get three endings that don't provide any closure and don't acknowledge any of your decisions or their impact. To put it bluntly a shit ending. Something people never expected from a Bioware game.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Dansen said:
They don't have to cater to fans, but then again fans don't have to buy their games. And don't cite IGN, they are for from a credible source since they get most of their revenue from tipple A game ads.

Haven't played the games myself, but it seems like the pulled a Human Revolution ending, where you basically enter a room and press three buttons to get three endings that don't provide any closure and don't acknowledge any of your decisions or their impact. To put it bluntly a shit ending. Something people never expected from a Bioware game.
Getting revenue from games doesnt discount his well thought out and logical argument. It coulda been Hitler saying that and it wouldnt make his words less true.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Muphin_Mann said:
Dansen said:

Getting revenue from games doesnt discount his well thought out and logical argument. It coulda been Hitler saying that and it wouldnt make his words less true.
It shows a clear bias. Why would IGN bite the hand that feeds them?

I fail to see how Hitler is at all relevant to the discussion.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Bioware is not a 15 year old girl who sent some dark poetry to a creative writing magazine. They are a company producing a product to be sold. Many people are not satisfied with this product they spent their hard earned money on. Bioware is not trying to be nice to you, they are not trying to do you any favors, they are trying to suck as much money out of you as possible. Our money feeds their families and pays their bills. How anyone can say with a straight face that they should be the ones to determine what is and isn't acceptable baffles me.

That IGN guy is just a tool. No you didn't complain about Resistance 3, instead you made a douchey little walking towards the camera video. Plus IGN is bought and paid for.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Muphin_Mann said:
After being spammed by angry Mass Effect 3 complainers to do a piece on their charity work, destructiod did as asked, lambasting them for their paper-thin agenda and the aformentioned spam in a highly sarcastic article.

http://www.destructoid.com/raging-mass-effect-3-fans-do-something-for-charity-223811.phtml

Now...i didnt particularly like the ending but i dont see why its so bad, and no one has been able to explain to me, in simple steps lacking huge logical gaps, what the problem is. All i ever see is frothing rage and stupidity. So i dont really know what people are upset about.

I will say that, in my mind, doing charity work is always good. Flooding gaming news site inboxes with obnoxious cries for attention, while shallow, doesnt offset the good of charity work.

As for the "movement" (i guess you could call it) to rewrite the ending of ME3...even if the ending of ME3 had been horrible in my eyes, like really horrible, like maybe a montage of Shepard and Anderson having sex atop a burning reaper set to a Rebecca Black song, i couldnt support the call to rewrite the end. Because we didnt develop the game. We, most of us here horribly spoiled Americans, may feel intitled to any level of instand gratification, BUT WE ARE NOT. Lucasfilms doesnt owe you a no-Jarjar version of the most recent three Star Wars films, McDonalds does not owe you a lifetime supply of Triple Bacon-and-Bacon McBacons and Bioware doesnt owe you the happy ending of your wildest dreams.
Besides, WHOS ENDING WOULD WE USE? Because MY ideal ending for ONE of my Shepards, which involves the Crucible turning out to disable the ME fields off all the galaxies Reapers, isnt yours. Mine has Harbinger comedicly collpasing under his own weight as "(Dont Fear) The Reaper" plays. The closing shot is of Shapard, standing atop a dead Reaper, his Grall in one hand and Tali wrapped around his waist, throwing a fist into the air in triumph as the wind whips his torn cape about. The entire thing would look like a godamn Manowar cover.

But thats just me. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video
I agree with his opinion on peoples reactions to ending. I was frustrated by the DLC but the process of making game ment it probably wasnt gonna be done by release date. Not to mention he has a point about how cheap games are nowdays.

I would still like someone to explain exactly whats wrong with the ending though.
EVERYTHING the fans didn't like about the ending of ME3 is explained in detail here:

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

It's the most comprehensive and well put take on this whole issue.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
IGN and Destructoid are disgraceful.

The Retake ME3 movement is uniting people as well as helping charity, and they're just debunking it, probably so EA Bioware will pay them money.

They're greedy and awful and the sooner we stop supporting them, the better, because IGN especially is EVERYTHING wrong with game journalism right now.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I do agree it's ridiculous if the ending undoes all the greatness throughout the rest of the series for fans. I think that might just be an "in the moment" kind of reaction that will pass. I hated the ending, and wasn't happy about one other big thing in Mass Effect 3 (Shepard speaking on his own too much. Soooo unnerving), but it doesn't really put a dent in how awesome it was the rest of the time in the series, including Mass Effect 3.

As per the "retake Mass Effect" fiasco...I'm torn. One thing is they are pretty obviously using the charity angle to create a criticism shield. It's kind of like volunteering in a homeless shelter to get into a girl's pants (...don't look at me like that). I'll let my hypocrite flag fly here: I'm really not keen on creators changing major parts of their fiction due to fan outrage. I understand the sentiment, though, and would definitely download the new ending and try to forget all about the old one. So, there. I won't even try to deny the hypocrisy.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
endtherapture said:
IGN and Destructoid are disgraceful.

The Retake ME3 movement is uniting people as well as helping charity, and they're just debunking it, probably so EA Bioware will pay them money.

They're greedy and awful and the sooner we stop supporting them, the better, because IGN especially is EVERYTHING wrong with game journalism right now.
for you my friend, for you:

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
Bioware did explicitly lie about the game's ending.

This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C. - Casey Hudson

You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to provide some answers to these people. - Mike Gamble