Detroit Mayor Refuses to Build RoboCop Statue

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
You can buy a house for the price of a car over there

http://www.trulia.com/MI/Detroit/p_2/

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Good. The last thing Detroit should be spending tax payer money on is an (admittedly awesome) statue, which serves no real purpose. After the economy is out of the shitter, THEN build a statue.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
danpascooch said:
Robocop statue? Why not, city's fucked anyway, might as well do something funny.

THIS!

Seriously Detroit. You have NOTHING going for you. Tank all your cities income into the Robocop project.

It'll be the best idea you ever had! (Though that's not saying too much =S)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This is why you don't ask the opinion of the Internet. You're lucky if you're most newsworthy suggestion is pop-culture related.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
Detroit doesn't even have the money for regular cops; large areas of the city are now without any police protection at all (and most other emergency services have also been cut-off). Much of the city has decayed to the point that they could shoot a "fallout" movie there without using special effects. On top of that, something like 1/4 of the kids entering high school will graduate...and a lot of them drop out before high school. So far, the plan seems to be to try to force everyone to move to parts of the city that almost no one can afford, so that the rest of the city can be left to gangs...but they don't have the money to help people move to placed that they cannot afford, so they are just doing the second part of the plan. Maybe they could have a statue of a giant middle finger...just to make sure that everyone gets the picture.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So I guessing that MovieBob would be dissapointed with this news (watch this week The Big Picture with MovieBob to get what I'm saying). As for me it a shame that the mayor refuse it, it would of attracted more tourest well Robocops fans.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Woking: The Martian Statue

Nottingham: Robin Hood (Even though Sherwood is officially in Leicestershire)

Copenhagen: The Little Mermaid

Walsall: The Brown Hills Miner

Derby

Seriously Bing, you're missing out on a great tourist trap if nothing else.
Ehem. Most if not all of those (apart from the god damn street and the martian) were privately funded then later donated. We are talking about public tax here.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Con Carne said:
Cool idea? Yes. Waste of tax dollars? Yes. Possible way of regaining those wasted tax dollars by way of tourism? Yes. I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.
From what i read they can't even afford to keep the streetlights on, the city is selling scavenging rights for the abandoned buildings, and cops only patrol 20% of the city. A statue isn't going to save Detroit if this is true.

http://www.businessinsider.com/detroit-garbage-pickup-bankruptcy-2010-12#ixzz187sCagAA
Damn, if that's legit, then I stand corrected. That's an ugly situation they have there. Thanks for the eye opener.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
apparantly detroit's falling apart due to crime, vagrancy and bankruptcy so a robocop statue is of course a wise investment and should satiate or at least nullify the terrible problems detroit is struggling with

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Woking: The Martian Statue
A crud now i wanna see that thing for real (looking up more pictures of it on the internet made me see it more). I love almost every thing War of the worlds related(Tom Cruise can die in a fire for what he has done).

What i read about Detroit is they do not need a statue of robocop but a real one. How people describe the town sounds to me like the original movie >.<

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Sounds like the mayor thinks putting up a statue of the awesome Robocop would concede the fact the city is heading towards its dystopian future.
Similar to Auckland refusing to put up a statue of Jake the Muss.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Low Key said:
Why is this news? I don't understand.
It's not. "Mayor decides not to waste money he needs for other stuff" isn't news...unless Detroit is really failing.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
DaxStrife said:
I live in Detroit; we don't HAVE the money for a RoboCop statue. :p
thats pretty much exactly what i was thinking.

Tho as someone who has only visited Detroit i have to say a Robocop statue near the GM Building would be awesome (GM being the closest thing to the OCP). I'd certainly want to go back there for nothing else than to have my picture taken with it. More excuse to visit my internet buddy also nice.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Low Key said:
Why is this news? I don't understand.
to be fair half the news on this site is dedicated to geek/nerd culture. News or not, if its related to games or movies it ought to be on here, hence the name Escapist imo.

Oct 14, 2010
Elementlmage said:
Tim Latshaw said:
Elementlmage said:
Bing has been trying to make the city safer through various programs such as one that aims to bring police officers back into the city from their homes in the suburbs. Apparently, he doesn't think that a statue from an 80s movie will contribute anything to this goal.
So erecting a Robocop statue that will cause thousands of police officer to make a yearly pilgrimage to Chicago to pay reverence to said statue of Robocop, wont bring more cops to the city? This guy must be insane to not see that logic!
I could be missing it, but I haven't seen a huge, committed fandom within the law enforcement community over RoboCop.
I was being facetious...
Ah, no worries, then! As you were.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
I'm torn on this, I'm with a previous poster about this being a great potential tourist trap but we have to mention that Detroit has been getting its ass kicked for a while now and isn't exactly rolling in money for public projects.

...so maybe just a mural of the movie poster for Detroit Rock City? :D

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
thaluikhain said:
"Mayor decides not to waste money he needs for other stuff"
Admittedly this made me laugh. Also admittedly, I would actually be intrigued enough by a title like that to see what the article had to say.