Detroit Mayor Refuses to Build RoboCop Statue

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
YEah, I hate to even look, I followed the link about Detroit and parts of it look like a particularly poor area of Washington in the Fallout 3 era.

It just makes me impotently angry that there's so many rich people out there who just sit on their money. Sure it'd be good if they made good use of it, but even if they blew it all on 15ft high gold statues of their pet hamster, at least it would be keeping the money moving.

Without wishing to be stereotypical or racist, the main problem seems to be that Detroit is nearly empty. Yet you have thousands of mexicans trying to enter the country.

Sign em up, let em in, give em jobs sorting out the city and making it profitable. With a massive cheap workforce waiting and stupidly cheap land, I'm sure, especially in this economy, some businesses will see the opportunities.

Feb 13, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
Ehem. Most if not all of those (apart from the god damn street and the martian) were privately funded then later donated. We are talking about public tax here.
Soo...I'm pretty sure that there's a private fund looking to sponsor a city nearby...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
It's probably more to do with the Robocop series turning to shit as soon as that had been Frank Miller started writing for Robocop 2 &3. It's a crap series as a while. Now The Character "Ash Williams" is from Michigan. Get a statue of him up their.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Low Key said:
Why is this news? I don't understand.
to be fair half the news on this site is dedicated to geek/nerd culture. News or not, if its related to games or movies it ought to be on here, hence the name Escapist imo.
I suppose, but it would make more sense to report on this if he actually was building the statue. To me, stories like this read more like:

"Today, a public official mentioned both "video" and "games" in an impromptu discussion. However, neither of the words had anything to do with each other, but the fact still remains he said both words at some point."

I don't mean to flame. This is just me poking fun.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
chickenhound said:
forget a statue If I was mayor I would build a robocop themepark

which would bring tourists and create needed jobs

I mean transavana has a Dracula themepark why cant Detroit have a robocop one?
And the city wouldn't have do much in building it. Just wall off a section of the city and put in a couple of coasters and you're all set!

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Bassman_2 said:
RoboCop's gonna have to die in hell if he wants to get back to Detroit.
What do you have against Robocop? He's the coolest robot ever. He beat the Terminator for goodness sakes!
It's a South Park reference:
Saddam: Hello, Satan!
Satan: Saddam...
Saddam: Did you miss me, buttercup?
Satan: No, it can't be! You're dead! I killed you!
Saddam: Yeah, you killed me. So? Where was I gonna go? Detroit?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Bassman_2 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Bassman_2 said:
RoboCop's gonna have to die in hell if he wants to get back to Detroit.
What do you have against Robocop? He's the coolest robot ever. He beat the Terminator for goodness sakes!
It's a South Park reference:
Saddam: Hello, Satan!
Satan: Saddam...
Saddam: Did you miss me, buttercup?
Satan: No, it can't be! You're dead! I killed you!
Saddam: Yeah, you killed me. So? Where was I gonna go? Detroit?
Ah, I loved that episode. Nice reference.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Woking: The Martian Statue

Nottingham: Robin Hood (Even though Sherwood is officially in Leicestershire)

Copenhagen: The Little Mermaid

Walsall: The Brown Hills Miner

Derby

Seriously Bing, you're missing out on a great tourist trap if nothing else.
Let's not forget

although the police box wasn't placed there because of dr who they left it there because of it.

almost forgot this one