Deus Ex and Hitman Come to GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex and Hitman Come to GOG

Deus Ex, the greatest videogame ever made, is now available on GOG! [Oh, and Hitman, too.]

Square Enix has arrived at Good Old Games and it's brought a couple of serious heavyweight classics with it. First up is Hitman: Codename 47, the game that launched the famous stealth/murder franchise that's still going strong today. Hitman is up for $5.99 and comes with four HD wallpapers and four avatars, not to mention all the hours of fun getting paid to kill people in all sorts of horrific ways. Great stuff!

And then there's the big gun: Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, the original, the one everybody talks about and nobody believes came out of Ion Storm. At $9.99 it's a little more expensive than most GOG titles, but this is Deus Ex, people - it's the greatest videogame ever made. And along with the greatest videogame ever made, your ten bucks will also get you two HD wallpapers, the soundtrack, an avatar and a "newspaper handout," which I assume is a digital version of the fake newspaper filled with background information that came with the original release.

Both these games came out in 2000, but you wouldn't know it to look at their screenshots. The voice acting in Deus Ex is terrible too, the animations are stilted and choppy and the action bits were substandard even when it was new. Yet in spite of all that, it's undeniably one of the most influential games ever made and remains very playable, even today. I can't explain it, but I suspect that some very dark magic was somehow involved.

Hitman: Codename 47 [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/deus_ex/] are both available now at GOG.com.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Well thanks for the heads up. I already have the Hitman series on Steam, but I never got around to re-purchasing Deus Ex. Which is very tempting with all that extra swag they throw in with your Deus Ex purchase.

Awesome news. I'll probably buy it in a day or two.

Apr 28, 2008
And to think I was about to buy Deus Ex off Steam.

Now I can throw more money at GoG. I'm ok with this.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Uh-huh. Pity the game has been going for a song on other services for awhile now. Still, I picked up my copy from Games for Windows for only 0.70c so it wouldn't hurt to grab this version next time it goes on sale. I'm beginning to feel some genuine pride in my GOG collection.

Now - System Shock 2 and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines please. I've been waiting impatiently for 3 years now!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Deus Ex you say? I think it's time for a reinstall!

It really is the best game ever made. Absolutely my personal favorite.

UnderGlass said:
Now - System Shock 2 and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines please. I've been waiting impatiently for 3 years now!
System Shock 2 will never, ever be released again, unfortunately. The rights are too scrambled, and the parties who own them have no interest in cooperating with each other.

The only possibility is if the insurance company who owns the copyrights goes into bankruptcy and someone who's willing to work with EA snatches them up in an auction.

I'd love to see VTM Bloodlines on there though. I'm surprised they don't have it already, since all the other Troika games are available.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
UnderGlass said:
Uh-huh. Pity the game has been going for a song on other services for awhile now. Still, I picked up my copy from Games for Windows for only 0.70c so it wouldn't hurt to grab this version next time it goes on sale. I'm beginning to feel some genuine pride in my GOG collection.

Yeah, I want my current gen compatible SS2, but I think EA are sitting on the rights to that. I fear we'd sooner see some abomination of a game set in the SS universe before we see an optimised original.

I'm tired of having to fiddle with my old copy every time I reinstall it just to play it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Andy Chalk said:
The voice acting in Deus Ex is terrible too,
You mean like this?

Come on this is top notch stuff right here!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
Yeah, I want my current gen compatible SS2, but I think EA are sitting on the rights to that. I fear we'd sooner see some abomination of a game set in the SS universe before we see an optimised original.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. EA only has trademark rights to System Shock, so even if they did want to make another SS game (they definitely don't), it couldn't have Shodan or anything else from the first two games. All the copyrights are owned by some insurance company, and they've said they have no intention to sell them.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
Ragsnstitches said:
I wouldn't worry too much about that. EA only has trademark rights to System Shock, so even if they did want to make another SS game (they definitely don't), it couldn't have Shodan or anything else from the first two games. All the copyrights are owned by some insurance company, and they've said they have no intention to sell them.
Good... I guess. But that also means a potential (genuine) sequel is unlikely too. I can live with it I guess, 1 good game and one simply great game already exist in the SS universe and they usually say the 3rd is the worst in a series.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
ResonanceGames said:
UnderGlass said:
System Shock 2 will never, ever be released again, unfortunately. The rights are too scrambled, and the parties who own them have no interest in cooperating with each other.

The only possibility is if the insurance company who owns the copyrights goes into bankruptcy and someone who's willing to work with EA snatches them up in an auction.

I'd love to see VTM Bloodlines on there though. I'm surprised they don't have it already, since all the other Troika games are available.
Gee, what a pity. I knew it was a little messy but had no idea a company with no interest in the publishing business was the road block there. That's a genuine waste of IP potential. The game's name comes up regularly even today, particularly now with the new Bioshock on the way. Even a Win 7 functioning re-release could sell very well to the curious and the old-school alike.

I agree with you about VtM: Bloodlines, it does seem like a glaring omission considering Arcanum and TToEE. Activision seem a little uptight about regional pricing and the no DRM thing on some titles. For a developer born under a bad sign like Troika a platform like GOG is really the best place for their quirky brand of broken genius.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Square Enix owns Eidos. Eidos published Thief 1 and 2. Square is on GoG. Thief is finally coming to Gog.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
ResonanceGames said:
Bloodlines... Deus Ex, in vampire mode. It's awesome.

The grand-daddies of the whole thing, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, are available on GOG. People who like first-person RPGs, are not graphics whores, and aren't scared of dealing with a somewhat clunky game interface should definitely check them out.

Warren Spector is a game designer par excellence. I wish he would have stayed with the genre he was best at. I mean, Epic Mickey? Why?

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Put on a trenchcoat
And fight some conspiracies.
Get experience
And level up abilities.
Will you pick rifles?
Or computers?
Don't pick swimming, because
It's fairly useless.
It's a shooter
And a role-playing game.
The levels are ugly
And everyone looks the same.
We're not the same Ion Storm
That made Daikatana.
Our games are good and they
Stay on schedule.

We made a sequel
That no one liked
'Cause we dumbed it down too much
'Cause we're thick.

Seek to 04:33 [/videos/view/zero-punctuation/452-Guitar-Hero-World-Tour]

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
I already own an original copy of the game (which I still haven't finished), but I might buy the GOG version anyway, just so I have something I know runs properly on WinXP without having to fiddle with it.

The last time I fired that game up (which was the middle of last year or so), I was amazed to discover that there were A) still multiplayer servers running; and B) people playing on them.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Tiamat666 said:
The grand-daddies of the whole thing, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, are available on GOG. People who like first-person RPGs, are not graphics whores, and aren't scared of dealing with a somewhat clunky game interface should definitely check them out.
Agreed. The Underworlds are great games. People forget just how groundbreaking they were. UU was a full-on 3D immersive sim before Wolfenstein 3D even got rudimentary FPS mechanics down. It even had a working (if simple) physics engine.

Anyone who likes the Elder Scrolls owes it to themselves to at least try them, since TES: Arena was basically just a UU knockoff.