Deus Ex Designer: "The Ultra-Violence Has To Stop"

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I can see his point, but rather than feel disgust toward a game with ultra-violence and head explosions I just find them uninteresting and dull.
Usually a game with such mechanics is all about the spectable and they've sunk all of their budget into it so the other parts of the game are just boring and uninspired.

Granted there may be exceptions to the rule, though.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Murder is the name of the game for Hitman; I hope he's just downplaying those who are just following the gore trend instead of those who either make a living off of it or has done exceptionally well at it.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
rhizhim said:

no violence in deus ex whatsoever...
To be fair, he didn't say there wasn't violence in Deus Ex. It was just meant to feel uncomfortable. Which is bull.
What part of a guy with blades in his arms pulling fancy moves is uncomfortable???

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Everyone who talks about violence in videogames seems to forget that videogames are a medium (sort of what Tanis was saying). If violence can be made, it will be made into exploitative ultra violence. Videogames are a medium just like movies, books, etc, violence is going to happen in them as such. There is "tasteful" violence but of course that will depend on the person.

rhizhim said:
no ultra - violence in deus ex whatsoever...
Caffeine_Bombed said:
To be fair, he didn't say there wasn't violence in Deus Ex. It was just meant to feel uncomfortable. Which is bull.
What part of a guy with blades in his arms pulling fancy moves is uncomfortable???
But guys he's not part of the Human Revolution dev team, or at least the article doesn't say so. He says he left Eidos in 2004.

FelixG said:
Yep disney has nothin to do with violence. nope.

Marvel Zombies image

oh wait.

And he failed horribly in making me uncomfortable with the violence in deus ex.
Come on that's merely by association, Disney didn't make make Marvel Zombies. But I agree that his comments on Disney lacks merit considering how much they've had to censor original works of literature (Sleeping Beauty, Hunchback of Notre Dame) in order to make them kid friendly and how often they've killed off children's mothers in their work.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I can't think of a single game I own that has any acts of violence which aren't within the context of the experience. It wouldn't be much of a video game if violence was there just for the sake of violence.

I think this guy's over-reacting.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I don't mind violence (after all, reality is so much bleaker where I work), but I love non violent games like Journey, Braid, Machinarium, Portal, Chime and Audiosurf...

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Saulkar said:
As long as violence is given context I do not mind it. When it is simply added for the sake of being there or even for the purpose of glorification, then that is where I simply turn my back to it and do not give it the time of day.
You, my friend have hit the point perfectly I couldn't agree more.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
It's interesting that the violence in Deus Ex was meant to feel uncomfortable, because I definitely tried to avoid killing enemies in that game more than I usually do. It's a combination of humanization and alternate options, I think.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
FelixG said:
Actually if I recall correctly (And there is a fair chance I am mistaken) that scene is from the more recent Deadpool Corps which was created nearly a year after Disney bought Marvel. So if my memory is serving me well that scene was created under the disney flag.
Yeah it's from Marvel Zombies 4 (which finished 3 months before the Disney acquisition according to wikipedia). But your point on Deadpool Corps and other recent comics still stands.

Warren says: "I'm just glad I work for a company like Disney, where not only is that not something that's encouraged, you can't even do it, and I'm fine with it." If Disney censored Marvel (which they explicitly said they would not do), you can imagine the outcry. So they definitely CAN do it as long as your work isn't already kid friendly I presume.

rhizhim said:
okay let me revisit this:
better? no? how about this then.
Yeah, I can get behind this.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I'd say it's all about balance really, I'm no fan of the hordes of "Modern warfare" shooters, or Postal-esque shooters or Manhunt or whathaveyou. But at the same time I enjoy Assassin's Creed which has some positively cringe inducing counters and fatalities, but offers you a wide variety of things to do besides it (like the exploration aspect).

And then there's games where the violence is so over the top that you can't even take it seriously, like Mortal Kombat or Space Marine (where the ultraviolence isn't even directed at humans).

And while I fully agree we need more amazing games like Portal where violence is a minimal to non-existent factor of the game, I wouldn't want to take away the choice for people that do enjoy extreme visceral violence in their games as long as it doesn't push the games that I enjoy out of the way.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
rhizhim said:

no ultra - violence in deus ex whatsoever...
Warren Spector was project leader for the original deus ex. It's had two games since he left. You can't blame him for the direction they took the sequels in.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Next week, Warren Spector sits down with The Escapist and talks about why the tide needs to stop coming in.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
So pretty much his argument is he doesn't like it so it should stop, why does Spector's opinion on this matter anyway.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I think that in the future, games will go back to more early gaming style, as the audience grows tired of the increasing focus on violence. We are saturated with shooters, we want something new.