Deus Ex Full-Length Mod Campaign Released

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Deus Ex Full-Length Mod Campaign Released

Thirteen years later, the classic FPS-RPG is still going strong with a fresh dozen hours of content.

The modding scene is one of the greatest boons of PC gaming for creative types. Look no further than Deus Ex for proof: the 13 year old game is still being modded long after the closure of its developer, Ion Storm. The latest contribution is Deus Ex: Nihilum, though to call it a mod would be an understatement. Nihilum provides roughly ten hours of new gameplay, complete with fresh cyberpunk locales and a parallel storyline drenched in conspiracy.

Developer FastGamerr bills the mod as a spiritual expansion pack to the original Deus Ex, maintaining its core components while adding flavor of its own. It's not lacking for flavor, either - Nihilum features a two hour soundtrack, over 2,000 lines of recorded dialogue, and a handful of expansive new maps. In keeping with the spirit of the core game, exploration is rewarded with a host of hidden secrets to add a few more hours of playtime to the campaign.

Nihilum is the result of several years of development from its creator, and its completion marks his departure from the modding community. Owners of Deus Ex can download Nihilum over at ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum], though you may want to grab some graphical enhancements while you're there (just in case the nostalgia goggles don't do the trick). It's said that every time Deus Ex is mentioned somebody reinstalls it; I'd say there's a good reason in this case.

Source: ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Hey! Something cool didn't get shut down by lawyers! They actually managed to miss one!

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
So after reading the headline of the article, I went to my Steam account to see if I still had Deus Ex installed; there it was, resplendent in all of its glory. However; if it had not been installed, I likely would have fallen prey to the idea of re-installing it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Cognimancer said:
It's said that every time Deus Ex is mentioned somebody reinstalls it; I'd say there's a good reason in this case.
I couldn't agree more *starts installing Deus Ex*

OT: It's stuff like this that reminds me why I love my desktop and laptop PC's so much, both to mod myself and check out others work.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Looks like it's time I re-buy Deus Ex. And I do not do so begrudgingly. It may have aged terribly but it is still an incredible game.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Damn it! Someone mentioned Deus Ex. *sigh* Installing it again.

Downloading it now. It reminds me the Deus Ex Invisible War screenshots from before the developers ruined it for the X-box.

kajinking said:
Hey! Something cool didn't get shut down by lawyers! They actually managed to miss one!
Is Nihilum a copyright protected intellectual property? If it's not, then there's no reason for anyone to sue. Also, I doubt they would've missed it since anything that appears on Mod DB that violates copyrights gets shutdown very quickly.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Oh goody, I just got Deus Ex on GOG!

The name of this mod is a bit strange, though. God out of nothing?
I hope that name actually means something for this mod. Deus Ex's title is very much something that binds the game together;

In the ending, JC Denton starts making some massive decisions, either running the world in silence, unseen, unknown to many, or plunging it into a new dark age. Once a machine, built to do man's bidding, he becomes a god. A god from the machine.

Yet another game on my post-exam todo list. Let's hope they do something similarly awesome with it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Who the hell uninstalls Deus Ex? I can't imagine someone saying to themselves "Oh wow, this 720Mb bundle of pure joy is clogging up my hard drive, better make some room." That's just absurd.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Scrythe said:
Who the hell uninstalls Deus Ex? I can't imagine someone saying to themselves "Oh wow, this 720Mb bundle of pure joy is clogging up my hard drive, better make some room." That's just absurd.
Nobody in 2013, that's who. The saying is old.

OT: cooool. But what are the boss fights like? WHAT ARE THE BOSS FIGHTS LIKE?

Creativename360

Oct 23, 2008
Yosharian said:
So nobody knows if this is actually any good.
Yes, It's pretty good. It's wonky at times, but hey: free game.

Does anyone remember that unofficial Thief 2 Expansion? I'd like to try it again.