Deus Ex Gets Metroid Treatment in New DLC

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Deus Ex Gets Metroid Treatment in New DLC

The Missing Link DLC will see Adam Jensen trying to escape a conspiracy-laden sea freighter without the help of his augmentations.

Following its Human Revolution evil prison-boat [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120594]). His usual augmentations will all have been disabled, forcing him to think his way to freedom.

The story will be tied directly to Human Revolution's plot, with Eidos Montreal producer David Anfossi adding that it will "allow fans to be able to complete Adam's journey in the game." He will apparently uncover "another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have expected," continued Anfossi.

Crucially, all of Adam's augmentations will be disabled. Anfossi said that this will allow players to see a more "vulnerable" side of the lead character while challenging them to adopt new styles of play. But before you start thinking that your teeth will be your only weapons, Anfossi added that "mysterious new allies" will be present to help Adam on his journey through the ship.

Speculation surrounding this DLC announcement has been circling the internet for days, following on from the successful conclusion of Eidos Montreal's Human Revolution ARG and the details released about how much of the original game the developers had to cut out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112768-Deus-Ex-Devs-Taunt-Us-With-Cut-Content]. Conspiracy-fueled fans and commentators managed to predict the DLC and its prison-boat component, but I don't think anyone saw an augmentation-free Adam coming. Who are these "mysterious new allies," I wonder?

Eidos Montreal have yet to announce a release date or give any indiction of the price tag for Missing Link.

Source: Exophase [http://exophase.com/24594/deus-ex-human-revolution-the-missing-link-dlc-announced/]

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
...or walk or do anything with his arms? He is basically a human brain in a robot body.

Edit: And vulnerable side? Christ, Give Me Deus Ex level and I felt pretty vulnerable. Any more vulnerable and a stern look will be enough to finish me off.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Wait, if his augmentations are disabled then how is he even alive? How can he see? Or hear?
C´mere! I´ll bite yer legs off!

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Glad to see there will be dlc it definitely one of the better games to come out in a while.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
@EverythingIncredible: MAGIC. It's like the EMP grenades. They stop all machines except the ones that keep you alive.

I feel a little stupid. I was pretty sad that I finished the game so quickly, and wished there was more of it. I didn't even consider a DLC pack!

This takes place after the main story it seems, so maybe we get to find out what really happens.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
As long as it doesn't come with that irritating "wibbly" screen like the game gave me when Zhao shut the augments down.

Apart from that i'm hoping it at least fills in some blanks left from the end of the game so far.

lastwanderer

Cyber Agent
Jan 29, 2011
Mr. 47 said:
@EverythingIncredible: MAGIC. It's like the EMP grenades. They stop all machines except the ones that keep you alive.

I feel a little stupid. I was pretty sad that I finished the game so quickly, and wished there was more of it. I didn't even consider a DLC pack!

This takes place after the main story it seems, so maybe we get to find out what really happens.
actually i think by the picture its a midquel or however you would put it. it takes place in the 3 days you were missing in the middle of the games story after you put yourself to sleep in that cryopod. which is odd as it didn't seem like there was anything missing but ok.

oh and escapist if you look at the deus ex website instead of using another news site as your source says its coming in october

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Better he gets the "Metroid" treatment than the "Other M" treatment.

Sarif did not authorize use of augmentations. And Adam breaks down and cries in front of Lawrence until Faridah steps in to save him. Also, every other word is "The baby" and his clothes dissolve every 30 minutes.

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
Huh. So if I understand this correctly, this DLC has direct correlation to the main story.

I hate these kinds of DLC. You're supposed to pay 60 bucks for the whole game, not 60 bucks for an incomplete game and then who knows how much more for the rest of it.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
To those asking about it being after themain games ending:

I'm pretty sure its happening whilst Adam is on the boat for 3 days to Shanghai.

I'm quite interested in what this DLC will be like though, I absolutely loved the game.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I'm their ***** now. They've made an amazing game and I will buy anything Deus Ex related.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
kurupt87 said:
...or walk or do anything with his arms? He is basically a human brain in a robot body.

Edit: And vulnerable side? Christ, Give Me Deus Ex level and I felt pretty vulnerable. Any more vulnerable and a stern look will be enough to finish me off.
If you want a ghost rating it IS enough to finish you off :p

Guessing it just means the "military" augs. Typhoon, vision, cloak. Since you may need the inventory aug for a start. Lifting aug would be nice too.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I'm definitely NOT getting this. They're disabling one of the main reasons I bought the game: Augmentations. Seriously, we get a taste of how vulnerable you are in the tutorial, I don't need a DLC like that. Hell, even with all the Dermal Armor upgrades enemies can still shred you like tissue paper out in the open. How else will they make you change your playstyle, I mostly used stealth in the game. Which they kind of force on you from the beginning to be honest if you ask me. Still, good game though I couldn't stop playing it till the end.

Echer123 said:
Is there a good reason why his augmentations are off, or is it just because?
If I was to guess, it's so they couldn't track him aboard the freighter.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Won't buy this. Maybe just read the spoilers online. I don't think I bought a single DLC expanding thing to any game this generation. The only thing that could possibly motivate me to buy a Deus Ex 3 DLC is another hub area and actual pseudo philosophical type discussions that were in the first two games. :(