Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Goes Multi-Platform

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Goes Multi-Platform

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut is no longer exclusive to the Wii U.

Announced in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122805-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Directors-Cut-Coming-to-Wii-U], the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut promised a number of significant enhancements to the game and the inclusion of the Tong's Rescue mission, which was previously available only as a preorder bonus mission or by purchasing the Explosive Mission Pack, and the Missing Link post-release DLC. It was also exclusive to the Wii U, with many features designed to take specific advantage of the Wii U gamepad.

That's no longer the plan, however, as Eidos Montreal has announced that the game will also be released for the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, the PC and Mac. The touchscreen game functionality that had been billed as exclusive to the Wii U gamepad, like touch-screen hacking, augmented sniping and grenade throwback, will now also be supported by Microsoft's SmartGlass and the PlayStation Vita.

"After our Director's Cut announcement we received an overwhelming response from the community asking us to bring this ultimate edition of Human Revolution to other platforms," Eidos Montreal General Manager Stéphane D'Astous said in a statement. "We're thrilled to accommodate that request." He also slipped in a "you asked for this" joke which I will not repeat here.

It's hard to say whether the Director's Cut will have much in the way of widespread multi-platform appeal; Eidos Montreal says it will offer overhauled boss fights, better game balance, improved AI, eight hours of developer commentary and "striking visual improvements," but I very strongly suspect that anyone interested in playing the extra missions has already done so by now. For anyone who hasn't played Human Revolution, of course, it's the only way to fly, as long as the pricing isn't completely out of line.

It's also kind of a bop in the schnoz for Nintendo, which until now could boast of having the "best" version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution exclusive to the Wii U. The game is pushing two years old but it's still really good, and Nintendo needs any boost to the Wii U's flagging fortunes that it can get.

Eidos said the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut will be released for all platforms later this year.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Really overselling the extra mission schtick here: the Noodle Factory mission is pretty tacked on anyway. Just a small facility with two large rooms and a small cell block made using entirely assets from the rest of the game an located in a sewer for some inexplicable reason. If you haven't played it, you didn't really miss out.

Edit: Oh wow, sounds like they integrated The Missing Link part too. The final boss really lacked context with that stashed as a side campaign. The changes to the other boss fights also look sweet, and I'll commend them on making it not platform exclusive. Really nice to see developers taking personal pride in their "final" releases.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
"After our Director's Cut announcement we received an overwhelming response from the community asking us to bring this ultimate edition of Human Revolution to other platforms"

also translates to

"After our Director's Cut announcement we perceived an overwhelming silence from the community not buying this ultimate edition of Human Revolution on the Wii U"

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Good on Eidos.

Exclusives are bad, and I will buy this when its released for my PC, I fuckin loved Human Revolution.
Which is why PC have always had their own exclusives right =P.

Ah well it was bound to happen anyway and like many who see this news will just toss it as one less reason "to buy a Wii U", forever making up reason after reason to not get something they obviously hate to start with.

At this point it doesn't really matter because if you don't get the console that's good for you and if you do get the console well then that's also good for you, either way there's no loss besides one person making up reasons for wanting a console but not getting it.

Also kinda fed up with them damn phone services always offering those different packages I mean why can't everything just come in one form?.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I've read calls on the internet to make this DLC but I also read that they reworked a lot of the stuff from the ground up. I suspect it will be a new disc at a lowered price (I hope), like they did with Dragon's Dogma.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm probably still going to get this for the Wii U but I'm glad that gamers will be able to get this without owning a Wii U too.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Wait, so will this be available as a DLC sort of deal or do we have to repurchase the entire thing? Because that sounds like a lot of fundamental changes to how certain things work...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I wonder if they'll patch it in for existing owners like decent developers (CD Projekt RED), or if they'll sell it as DLC, or worst - a full game.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I asked for this. I really did in another thread. You can check. Can't wait. I'll buy it even if it's a new release instead of a patch.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
On one hand they do this and on the other they release The Fall as an ipad exclusive. Something is better than nothing I guess.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I paid $34 to preorder it for PC. The highest price I paid for a single game between 2005 and now. And I'll glady pay for it again to get a even better version.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
So if you bought the game when it came out, you have to buy it again for cut content basically? I'm SURE the cut content played a role in the launch price right? /rollseyes

I mean I really enjoyed the game but that kinda sucks..

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Can this please be simply a small DLC to upgrade... please? I'd be happy to pay for the extra stuff, but really don't fancy buying the entire game again for it.

It's kind of bad that this announcement is better (as far as I am concerned) than almost everything revealed at E3 this year.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Can we like get a free update? Or like a 5$ pack? I already own all the stuff so if it's anywhere above 10$ for people who own it already then it won't be a day one purchase.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I asked for this. I really did in another thread. You can check. Can't wait. I'll buy it even if it's a new release instead of a patch.
But.. but.. you NEVER ASKED FOR THIS!!!
How could you, Adam?
You were my hero, dammit!
How could you stoop so low and start asking for this?
How can you even still look in the mirror?
Oh wait...

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Excellent. I don't mind the double dip, it's been almost two years since the game came out and there is a ton of new stuff in this release.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"So it turns out nobody bought a Wii U to play Deus Ex and making all this new content was really expensive so... get on that."