Deus Ex: Human Revolution Hands-On Preview

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I really like the fact that convo system isn't good/bad, paragon/renedage, apple/orange, etc. I've been arguing that Mass Effect should adopt a system like this. Some badass Krogan merc is probably gonna respond better to a show of brute force rather than a feather tickling. Good to see a game is implimenting this.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
You put a smile on my face by making it a point to say it won't be as mind-blowing as the original Deus Ex. I had come up with this naive idea when I had glimpsed the few seconds of Reed and Jenses's conversation about helping people yet seeing most DoD people. I had hoped for a plot provoking ideas about how technology can ease or even prevail human suffering yet the technology does the opposite because of the lack of ethical understanding, something Like Joseph DesJardins environmental ethics. Plus all of it would fit the perfect backdrop of a distopia future where human suffering remains over a world filled with new innovation. After reading this hands-on I'm disappointed but not surprised; still going to get the game, probably for the same reasons I bought Invisible Wars. At least it's shiny.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I am still reserved about the game. If the stealth works I'll buy it, but I expect to be disapointed in the same way I was disapointed in Fallout 3. ie. It was a good game but didn't live up to the originals. It still looks too much like Conviction to me, the idea of automated multiple takedowns reinforces that.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
I'm liking the idea that the AI adapts to your playstyle.

dagens24 said:
I really like the fact that convo system isn't good/bad, paragon/renedage, apple/orange, etc.
couldn't agree more

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This sounds amazing. I know the last one left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but this seems like it's going to be pretty amazing. Others mentioned these same sentiments but, I'm glad he came out and said it's not going to blow your mind. I am loving how the conversations sounds, and I'm loving the awesome multi approach to everything. In reading this, it sounds like what Alpha Protocol was going for. I still liked Alpha Protocol, but this seems like it's going to succeed where that one actually failed. You've given me high hopes of at least looking forward to a good or even a great game, even if it won't mimic the first one in it's impact.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
As long as it's a good Deus Ex game I'm happy... I'm still gonna file it under my "Shit List" until I get to play it myself... though that's a given with any game...<.<

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I wanted to read this, but as was stated, thar be spoilers ahoy..

I am looking forward to this, and I do indeed have great expectations for it, but not in the sense that it will be an amazing flawless game, but rather it will be a great dystopian sci-fi RPG atmosphere.

Games don't do sci-fi enough, which is bizarre in itself, but the only genres we get are space operas and space marine shooters.. usually hybrids of the two. This needs to stop, even though Mass Effect is concentrated liquid-awesome, it's still just a space opera, and nothing can ever beat a dystopian sci-fi conspiracy setting when done right.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
octafish said:
It still looks too much like Conviction to me, the idea of automated multiple takedowns reinforces that.
Gave me the impression that it would be Melee only though.
I mean, the system in Conviction is too much of a game-changer, making the game much easier than it should be, what with you taking down four of them, at range.

If they keep it to a Melee-only reaction-based move (like Disarms in Mirror's Edge), and only allow for two at a time, with an Augment, and even then requireing the two to be in melee range...

Doesn't sound half bad to me.

Susan Arendt said:
it's Deus Ex, alright.
And on the strength of those words, consider it pre-ordered.

Now to decide whether I want the satchel charge or the silenced sniper... still hate them for putting those two in seperate packs >.<

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, a game coming out is going to have the option of using dialogue as a means of resolving things instead of just fisticuffs and bullets?

What is this I don't even

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Holy replay value batman!

Seriously though, it looks like the devs are holding up on their promise to not the same thing as most other games and just go "hey look at this content/feature we put it". This game looks like it will have some very nice depth.

When is this game scheduled to come out? I really wanna get my hands on it.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
SyphonX said:
Games don't do sci-fi enough, which is bizarre in itself, but the only genres we get are space operas and space marine shooters.. usually hybrids of the two. This needs to stop, even though Mass Effect is concentrated liquid-awesome, it's still just a space opera, and nothing can ever beat a dystopian sci-fi conspiracy setting when done right.
Well said, someone present this person with a medal.

If it's even anywhere close to the original is a definite buy, and definite awesome.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Plays like Deus Ex but with modern sensibilities? Exactly what I hoped. I since I played Deus Ex for the first time just last year, I don't have to worry about this one not being as groundbreaking, since the original wasn't groundbreaking at all to me. Definitely excited.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Two slight little complaints.

1. You complain about blind-fire being fairly inaccurate. Well duh it's going to be inaccurate. You're just sticking the gun out and holding the trigger.

2. You complain of balance issues. From other reviews I've read, they all praised the difficulty and were happy that nothing had been toned down for the consoles.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
The release date is still unannounced. How can we have a hands on preview, without an announced release date?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I really gotta decide if I'm gonna get this game or not. It sounds good, but will it live up to it? We've all played games that sounded good, but turned out to be crap. Or, at least, games that didn't live up to their potential.

The variety of ways that you can approach a situation, sounds good. The preview didn't discuss if there will be some kind of class system. I'm guessing it's less about classes and more about how you augment you character. Which hopefully means I can change strategies from one mission to the next. Gun-sling through one, sneak through the next, hack computers later, so on and so forth. Sounds promising.