Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010

A worthy sequel to one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Read Full Article

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't Deus Ex Human Revolution a Prequel?

EDIT: already have the augmented edition pre-ordered anyway ;P

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
It looks interesting, but one question: Is the story pretty self-contained or will I need to have played the previous Deus Ex games to really understand everything?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, it's decided, I've heard enough good things about this game now to confirm that I'll have to pick it up on release.

The game may indeed be a prequel, but I'm still wondering if it's actually just a prequel, or also a reboot, as they once said if I recall correctly. If it isn't a reboot, if they were hoping to continue on the series, they would eventually run into the events of the first DX game and the multiple endings for Invisible War, which can't really be reconciled like they did for Deus Ex.

One thing about the review though, haven't there always been Illumati references (ridiculous or otherwise) in this series? After all, you can't really have a conspiracy without at least one of the Illuminati/MJ-12/Templars.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
DJDarque said:
It looks interesting, but one question: Is the story pretty self contained or will I need to have played the previous Deus Ex games to really understand everything?
I had the same question, as I've only played some of the original one (Going through it right now, actually). However, since it's a prequel I would guess that knowing the backstory won't be utterly crucial to playing except for some nonessential hooks to draw it into the other games.

OT: Already preordered, I cannot wait for tomorrow.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Can't wait for this to unlock on Steam. My computer has been augmented to play this.

OT: I've seen other reviews, and interestingly enough they say Stealth is prefered over combat, where as Butt says its the Combat over Stealth.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
That's all I needed to hear. Now I regret not pre ordering the special edition.
I hereby declare this the start of the best gaming season of all time!!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
The one thing I loved about Deus Ex was the fact you kill kids. That seem horrible, I know. But it's amazing what you could get away with in that game.

Damn, make me wanna boot it up again.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible? The previews led me to believe that it was possible, but your review seems to indicate otherwise.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible?
Yes, bosses are forced and there is no option other than killing them

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So far I looked at four reviews and they have all been very positive. Damn it why must I wait till friday to play this, stupid europe release date :(

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Kick ass.

Every review I see is making me more and more excited for midnight.

8 more hours! ^_^

Anodos

Jul 23, 2011
jakko12345 said:
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible?

Wasnt that the same problem with Alpha Protocol? Seems like just the game they would learn mistakes from....

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I feel relieved thats it hasnt trashed a beloved franchise from my early game playing days. However its also good that because I thought it was inevitably going to suck I didnt waste any time looking forward to it.

Now its revealed its actually awesome and its here in a few days, cant ask for more really

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Anodos said:
jakko12345 said:
DustyDrB said:

Wasnt that the same problem with Alpha Protocol? Seems like just the game they would learn mistakes from....
The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn't have to do so through combat. He didn't really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Thank you Mr. Butts, you gave me a huge relief by letting us know that the game will run reasonably well in my already outdated PC.

Now, to the Steam store page!

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
FaceFaceFace said:
Anodos said:
jakko12345 said:
DustyDrB said:

The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn't have to do so through combat. He didn't really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.
As far as I've read elsewhere even if you take out a boss using non lethal weapons such as a stun gun the cut scene following their death shows them riddled with bullets, bloody, etc.