Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
FaceFaceFace said:
The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn't have to do so through combat. He didn't really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.
Actually, no. You were not required to kill Anna. You could stay idly by and let her shoot Lebedev.
The one person you really had to kill is Walton Simons.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
FaceFaceFace said:
The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn't have to do so through combat. He didn't really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.
Actually, no. You were not required to kill Anna. You could stay idly by and let her shoot Lebedev.
I think you're thinking of a different part. Later than Lebedev (who you can also just kill yourself), after you're forced by the game to quit UNATCO, you encounter her in the subway. You either have to kill her, disable her, or get killed by her. If you kill her/stun her you have to surrender to the other augmented guy (forgot his name, sorry). After whatever happens, you're imprisoned at UNATCO where if Anna isn't already dead, you are required to use her kill password to get past her.

And I'm pretty sure Simmons can be stunned.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I'm still weary.

Although I haven't played the original one so I can't be disappointed in it, I still am finding this unconvincing. Maybe it's because it's a purely slow paced game, and you can't advertise that well.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
FaceFaceFace said:
I think you're thinking of a different part. Later than Lebedev (who you can also just kill yourself), after you're forced by the game to quit UNATCO, you encounter her in the subway. You either have to kill her, disable her, or get killed by her. If you kill her/stun her you have to surrender to the other augmented guy (forgot his name, sorry). After whatever happens, you're imprisoned at UNATCO where if Anna isn't already dead, you are required to use her kill password to get past her.

And I'm pretty sure Simmons can be stunned.
Strange. I was pretty sure that I didn't kill Anna on my first playthrough many, many years ago. On the other hand, I couldn't find a way to get past Simons without blowing him up.
But maybe time and old age (cough, cough) have clouded my mind.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
The review makes it feel like the Original Deus Ex.. which is a GOOD THING.
I loved the ability to think my way out of situations instead of having to kill everyone.
So glad this didn't go down the road to dumbification town that Invisible War did.

I'll get this on the PC methinks.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible? The previews led me to believe that it was possible, but your review seems to indicate otherwise.
Technically you don't 'kill' most of the bosses from what I understand. At least one of them kills himself in the following cutscene.

I've also heard that the Spec Ops in the tutorial level have to be killed as well, but it looked like you could sneak past them...won't know until tomorrow, I suppose.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there IS a trophy/achievement for doing a zero kill playthrough. Bosses are exempt and the Spec Ops guys from the start may be as well.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DAMMIT!

Must. Not. Spend. More. Money.

I'm just... gonna go play through Mass Effect again or something. -twitch-

I have a feeling that I may break by the end of the night, and get out my wallet.

EDIT

Yup... pre-loading now.

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
So glad that South Korea has earlier release dates. I'll be picking up my copy today, along with the replacement TV because my last one died a few months ago. Been saving up for a reason, after all.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Gunther Hermann was also a potential boss, but a little research could net you his kill phrase. Then all you had to do was mutter it and put on your best troll face. :)

I'm glad to see that DX:HR is receiving such good reviews. Being from the south shore of Montreal, I always feel a bit of vicarious pride whenever I hear that the latest Assassin's Creed was well-received or that other big-name publishers are picking Quebec over one of the other provinces to settle their new studios.

Ever since 2001 or thereabouts, being a gamer and a Québécois has been rather awesome, to tell you the truth.

As to how the game's meant to be played, I don't know. I don't think it's really feasible to commit to a no-kills run, seeing as food items and ammo probably aren't going to be excessively common. In the original Deus Ex, you had to ration your ammo as closely as you possibly could. Food wasn't that much of a concern, there were vending machines propped up everywhere. It clamped down on the run-and-gun potential of the game, and I remember a lot of my then-Unreal-obsessed buds feeling left out because they couldn't just mow down a room's worth of goons and still be standing. DX feels more like a melting pot or a gaming potpourri, and the player's expected to just dip his hands in there and pick not necessarily what he'd like to do, but what he can do. As with everything with RPG leanings, the key element is probably going to be specialization, even if a few late-game screens gave me the impression that Jensen can technically access every single aug in a single playthrough.

Also, Captcha: Glissant, etionsi.

Who's Etionsi and why is he slippery?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible? The previews led me to believe that it was possible, but your review seems to indicate otherwise.
Technically you don't 'kill' most of the bosses from what I understand. At least one of them kills himself in the following cutscene.

I've also heard that the Spec Ops in the tutorial level have to be killed as well, but it looked like you could sneak past them...won't know until tomorrow, I suppose.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there IS a trophy/achievement for doing a zero kill playthrough. Bosses are exempt and the Spec Ops guys from the start may be as well.
Oh, well that's a pretty definitive answer. I wasn't really complaining before, just curious. Now I'll have to figure out how I'm going to spec myself out for those fights.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
FaceFaceFace said:
Anodos said:
jakko12345 said:
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible?
Yes, bosses are forced and there is no option other than killing them

Wasnt that the same problem with Alpha Protocol? Seems like just the game they would learn mistakes from....
You can fool Anna, Gunther still acts like she dies though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ

Its almost a glitch I reckon, considering the game just assumes she dies.

Tiamat666 said:
FaceFaceFace said:
You could run by Simons as well. It is possible to play through Deus Ex without killing anyone. Bob Page dies in one of the endings, so for the no kill you can't complete the Tracer Tong ending. You don't have to kill Anna either, but Gunther still makes it sound like you killed her.

100% completion with no kills is possible depending on the ending you choose. Bob Page dies in the Tracer Tong ending when the base explodes. If you go with the illuminati ending or merge with helios it is ambiguous as to whether he lives or not.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Seeing as I have commited a big sin as a big RPG fan (never played the original beyond 10 minutes, it well and truly exposed me for the graphics snob I can be), this provides me a big opportunity to finally see the awesomeness of Deus Ex.
And hey, my ancient pc can run it, too! Was afraid that I had to grab it for the 360 like every other damn game these days.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Darn it, why must I be so poor. :( Stupid economy making it really hard to find a summer job...

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
MartialArc said:
FaceFaceFace said:
Anodos said:
jakko12345 said:
DustyDrB said:
So is a non-combat Jensen viable? I wanted to focus on the stealth and social aspects of the game. I actually wanted to try a no-kill playthrough on my first go at it. So do the bosses make that impossible?
Yes, bosses are forced and there is no option other than killing them

Wasnt that the same problem with Alpha Protocol? Seems like just the game they would learn mistakes from....
You can fool Anna, Gunther still acts like she dies though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ

Its almost a glitch I reckon, considering the game just assumes she dies.

Tiamat666 said:
FaceFaceFace said:
You could run by Simons as well. It is possible to play through Deus Ex without killing anyone. Bob Page dies in one of the endings, so for the no kill you can't complete the Tracer Tong ending. You don't have to kill Anna either, but Gunther still makes it sound like you killed her.

100% completion with no kills is possible depending on the ending you choose. Bob Page dies in the Tracer Tong ending when the base explodes. If you go with the illuminati ending or merge with helios it is ambiguous as to whether he lives or not.
Actually, it's not ambiguous in the illuminati ending:
you kill him. That's what disabling all those blue things is about. You see him explode and hear him scream after you push the button before the final cutscene.

Also, good to know that the game will run well on my 9800 gt.

FreakSheet said:
Can't wait for this to unlock on Steam. My computer has been augmented to play this.

OT: I've seen other reviews, and interestingly enough they say Stealth is prefered over combat, where as Butt says its the Combat over Stealth.
This also makes me happy. I guess the game is designed well enough so that people just naturally think it suits their prefered playstyle.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
FUCK YEAH! LESS THAN A DAY AND I HAVE MY AUGMENTED EDITION!!!

Oh, and good review, there may be a few blemishes, but they are trivial...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I guess I have nothing more to add apart from a 100ft neon sign proclaiming 'DO WANT!', accompanied by a fanfare and some fireworks.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Damn you Amazon, hurry up and deliver this freaking game already!!
I pre-ordered the Augmented edition and I still have to wait until at least 1:00 PM tomorrow for it to come in. The wait is killing me, and apparently Jim Sterling has had it for at least a week. Bastard....