Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Steve Butts said:

A worthy sequel to one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Read Full Article
Nice! This must be your payment for being the go to guy for movie licensed games.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
DJDarque said:
Steve Butts said:

A worthy sequel to one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Read Full Article
It looks interesting, but one question: Is the story pretty self-contained or will I need to have played the previous Deus Ex games to really understand everything?
From what I've played in the beta it seems as you really won't need to be caught up on the Deus Ex lore to get the story. Besides,I keep hearing that this is a prequel to the original games.

OT: As I mentioned,yes I downloaded that leaked beta,but I'm treating it as a long demo seeing as it only contains 1/4 of the full game and has plenty of bugs running around. I really like it and hope that I can transfer my save into the full version (You know,because finishing 1/4 of the game only to have to start over would be pretty irritating)

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Strange. I was pretty sure that I didn't kill Anna on my first playthrough many, many years ago. On the other hand, I couldn't find a way to get past Simons without blowing him up.
But maybe time and old age (cough, cough) have clouded my mind.
Well I'm not an expert by any means. I played Deus Ex as a stealthy killer. No one knew I was there, but no one lived either. And yeah, I just blew up Simons too. Made that fight kind of inconsequential.
MartialArc said:
You can fool Anna, Gunther still acts like she dies though...

100% completion with no kills is possible depending on the ending you choose. Bob Page dies in the Tracer Tong ending when the base explodes. If you go with the illuminati ending or merge with helios it is ambiguous as to whether he lives or not.
Well, it sounds like they at least almost made a game where you did have to kill one person, even if you ultimately could avoid killing anyone. And I thought the Illuminati ending had Everett explicitly tell you to kill Page? Again, though, I only know what I saw in one run-through and what I've read in various corners of the internet.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
You know I hear a lot about disapointing boss fight

but mind you in the original deus ex you could pull something out of Indianna Jones at Maggie Chow. She come at you with a dragon tooth (a pretty kick-ass weapon I admit) but by that time you have about half a dozens gun on you and your augmented while she isn't

Amusingly enough Walter Simons goes down easily for the opposite reason as you can rush him with the dragon tooth easily leaving his carcass to the Karkarian (where it blow up in their face most amusingly)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, I'm going to go grab this tonight. I already payed it off, and it seems I made a good decision. Hopefully, Gamestop is doing a midnight release. I'd hate to have to wait til tomorrow.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
FaceFaceFace said:
Tiamat666 said:
Strange. I was pretty sure that I didn't kill Anna on my first playthrough many, many years ago. On the other hand, I couldn't find a way to get past Simons without blowing him up.
But maybe time and old age (cough, cough) have clouded my mind.
Well I'm not an expert by any means. I played Deus Ex as a stealthy killer. No one knew I was there, but no one lived either. And yeah, I just blew up Simons too. Made that fight kind of inconsequential.
MartialArc said:
You can fool Anna, Gunther still acts like she dies though...

100% completion with no kills is possible depending on the ending you choose. Bob Page dies in the Tracer Tong ending when the base explodes. If you go with the illuminati ending or merge with helios it is ambiguous as to whether he lives or not.
Well, it sounds like they at least almost made a game where you did have to kill one person, even if you ultimately could avoid killing anyone. And I thought the Illuminati ending had Everett explicitly tell you to kill Page? Again, though, I only know what I saw in one run-through and what I've read in various corners of the internet.
The intent almost definitely for you to kill her. The fact that they didn't bother to give gunther some extra lines of dialogue to make everything mesh. For the endings I can't remember them all offhand, I know Page may or may not die depending on the ending chosen, maybe its helios he lives, the others he dies.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I've had this pre-ordered since January, and it shipped out a few hours ago.

I also just finished reading Icarus Effect this morning. It gave me a delicious thirst for closure and conflict.

I even played the leaked beta, and it made me want the game more.

My body is ready.

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
I was very excited when I saw the Escapist's DEHR review was up and frankly I was almost convinced it could never meet the expectations set by the original. But Steve's verdict is crystal clear and so the only thing that could keep me from buying this game (and I only buy 2 or 3 a year) is an intrusive copy protection. Does DEHR has one?

P.S.: I played Deus Ex (the original) through just half a year ago and it was still fun to play.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
FaceFaceFace said:
The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn't have to do so through combat. He didn't really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.
Actually, no. You were not required to kill Anna. You could stay idly by and let her shoot Lebedev.
The one person you really had to kill is Walton Simons.
Actually you're both in the wrong here.

You could actually get through the game without killing a single character. However with Anna Navarre you have to use an exploit (Last opportunity to face her is in UNATCO HQ) and make her run for and open a locked door that doesn't open unless you take a key off her. The game still treats it as if you killed her even if she lives.

However with Gunther and Walton Simons lines that comments on their deaths that never comes up if you let them live.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I played the original again recently and I can say that Human Revolution is an improvement in just about every way. Makes up for that shitty Invisible War game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Since the game is protected by Steamworks, you're not likely to have any major DRM issues.

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
weirdguy said:
Since the game is protected by Steamworks, you're not likely to have any major DRM issues.
Thx for the info. BTW for me not being allowed to resell what I pay for is an issue.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's okay because technically NOBODY will be able to resell the game, thereby forcing them to share the pain with you.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Damn, this doesn't come out in Australia until the 26th, and if the date is by American time then that means I won't be able to get it until the 27th, which is always the case.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
RobotNinja said:
I don't understand why everyone wants to do a pacifist run. Stealth kills are the best.
Achievements, and also just because you can. How many games offer that possibility? And you can do stealth takedowns, anyways, which feature some badass kung fu.

EDIT: Why did this game get a lower score than Dragon Age 2? I am extremely confused.