Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Nov 12, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I am a bit distant, I game on PCs but mainly only 5 years out of date.

However I'm familiar with all three games you mention as examples and more familiar with the predecessors of two of them (Wasn't Civ 5 accused of dumbing down compared to the others?) and they aren't really what I'm talking about sorry. They're fantastic games, with a lot of depth, but nothing special in the genre of turn-based strategy and as far as I'm aware, not even particularly revolutionary in their series'. It's a genre that wouldn't be suited for consoles, not because of depth or anything like that, but because a thumbstick isn't very good for navigating lists and doing the sort of unit movement standard with those games. Same as how action games tend to work better on consoles because a thumbstick is more natural for character movement than a mouse.

Deus Ex wasn't anything like that, Deus Ex was a cut above the rest, redefining the genre creating a lot of player choice that just shouldn't be in a game as detailed as it was and bringing round an altogether intelligent experience.
Even "Deus Ex" wasn't the first. Before that there were games like "System Shock 2", "System Shock" and the game that started it all: "Ultima Underworld". "Deus Ex" didn't really redefine any genres, since it wasn't really a genre game: it was more of a hybrid. It did, however, challenge the more rooted views on gaming that were forming even at those most earliest days of game development as an industry.

Still in times of "Ultima Underworld" almost every game was complex like that, because there was no industry to talk about, or because the industry was in its most embryonic of states. Every game was an artistic and technical experiment. Sadly, those days are long gone now and for every "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" we get hundreds of "Call of Duty" and "Gears of War" knock-offs. That is the exact reason why I'm betting my money on indie devs.

I wasn't really beating on consoles, especially not on console gamers, yet AAA studios do not often realize that a console game does not necessarily have to be overly-simplified for the sake of being simple. I guess my approach would be similar to what Christopher Nolan does with his material: it really has everything for everyone. Great action for your typical Joe and deep philosophical issues for a more sophisticated viewer. In the end it all comes down to balance: if a game is intricate at a cost of being fun, the chances are most people will skip it, I surely will (Hello, Alpha Protocol!).

As for "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", it is fairly obvious Eidos Montreal had a great love for the source material, not only that, but a lot of respect for it as well. HR pays homage to the original and I'm delighted to see them do that in such a subtle way (like putting the original's music on the radio in the Police Station), without losing their own identity. That's how you do it right, folks.

vermin_

May 16, 2011
InterAirplay said:
vermin_ said:
What a shame.
....do you mind me asking why?

g is getting occasional crashes, hopefully that's just a minor issue unique to my machine. Also, you'll have to register to Steam if you want to play. Enjoy, my friend.
Becouse my irony is augmented.

(No but seriously, What a shame is pretty old now. :p)

Gaijud

Dec 2, 2010
Ugh, the loading times are horrible! Especially if you are meticulous of not being spotted, but kinda suck at it. Other than that, having great fun with this game. Just hoping that it doesn't pewter out in the end.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Review is over-hyped. Four stars would be already good-will. 3.5 would fit the reality better. People sugar-talk this game just because it has Deus-Ex in the name. Reality-check please U_U

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
before it came out, I wasn't sure if I'd be interested or in the mood for the type of gameplay when it did come out...and right now, I am so wanting and in the mood to play it! ugh now just need the time and money...

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Game studios need to stop re-designing engines each damn game they do and spend more time on the quests and gameplay.

Why I remember back in the day you had a hundred side quests and all the dialogue was narrated and snow was high and walking miles to school sucked because all the portable music players were diesel powered... etc. etc.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Cleril said:
Odjin said:
Review is over-hyped. Four stars would be already good-will. 3.5 would fit the reality better. People sugar-talk this game just because it has Deus-Ex in the name. Reality-check please U_U
This exactly.

The choices you make in this game have no bearing on anything but the immediate scene. Sure there's maybe one or two choices that come back later but they affect nothing major. The endings are pathetic, the gameplay is repetitive, and trying to playthrough the game again is a chore even on the hardest difficulty simply because they don't change any AI routes or bring in more enemies.

Skyrim on the other hand...now that game can't be hyped enough!
Nah, Skyrim is big, epic failure right there. Even DX:HR is better than that shit on a stick.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Cleril said:
Odjin said:
Cleril said:
Odjin said:
This exactly.

The choices you make in this game have no bearing on anything but the immediate scene. Sure there's maybe one or two choices that come back later but they affect nothing major. The endings are pathetic, the gameplay is repetitive, and trying to playthrough the game again is a chore even on the hardest difficulty simply because they don't change any AI routes or bring in more enemies.

Skyrim on the other hand...now that game can't be hyped enough!
Nah, Skyrim is big, epic failure right there. Even DX:HR is better than that shit on a stick.
Which is exactly why I sold DX:HR to help pay for Skyrim!
You better should have kept DX:HR . Why even play (not even talking about spending a single penny) a crappy game like Skyrim which redefines the word "crapiness" being a prime example on how-to-totally-destroy-your-own-franchise? If you insist on selling DX:HR better keep your money for a game actually worth it not this pile of shit somebody badly copy-pasted from all around the game world while being under the influence of heavy drugs :/

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Cleril said:
Skyrim may use similar resources for each dungeon (though that makes sense, one Barrow shouldn't me bade of stone and the other made of Dwarven metal) but they are utterly handcrafted and often full of surprises including interesting boss fights (unlike DE:HR), puzzles (DE:HR had one kind of puzzle the entire game), and even more quests (possibly).
Untrue. It's repetitive and boring. Once you've seen a couple of dungeons you've seen them all. Very bland and boring. A step backwards from Morrowind.

Maybe you just prefer games that tout "player choice" (even though none of your choices in DE:HR matter in the slightest), open levels (air vents or hallway, take your pick), and then proceed to give you one of the most poorly executed storylines ever?
At last it had a story line in contrary to the crappy main quest (worst ret-con failure of all times!) and the most boring fetch-type sucker side quests in existence. Totally fails in the story department big time.

Meanwhile, Skyrim has your choices matter (even if it's just killing everyone in a town, now there's less quests, etc.), features a variety of gameplay (melee, bows, magic, shouts, puzzles, lock picking, alchemy, etc.), and gives the player about as much freedom as one can given the scope of Skyrim.
Choice matters exactly nothing. Even Morrowind had more choice than that crap game. Furthermore it is utterly dumbed down compared to Morrowind. All fun weapons and spells have been gradually removed (many in Oblivion, the rest in this crap game). They even ripped out an entire school of magic like Oblivion ripped out entire weapon classes. Stats system is also a joke. Roleplaying is next to non-existent in this game. Total rip-out-and-dumb-down failure going on there.

Granted, Skyrim does that too with it's difficult but at least in Skyrim there's more AI than just shoot player and proceed to die.
The AI is a big failure too. It's flacky, doing random stuff riddled with bugs, getting stuck in any crap and being just utterly crappy to begin with. You dream stuff into the AI it doesn't have. It's crappy, animations suck and overall battle is the total failure. Rolling dice is more fun than this random crap-shit there. In DX:HR the AI has actually a goal and a path instead of the crap AI in this game. Every kid in kinder-garden can program better AI than that.

Kindly accept the fact that my opinion differs from yours and what you like you may like. Just don't expect me to submit an objective opinion that DE:HR is superior to Skyrim in any way shape or form.
DX:HR did many things wrong and is inferior to the original Deus-Ex. Skyrim though fucked things even more up compared to Morrowind and is just crap. It's not fun, it's boring, it's fabricated from one end to the other, it has no roleplaying at all anymore and is a ret-con nightmare. So DX:HR wins by messing less up than this piece of shit on a stick. If you ever really played TES and "liked" it then you can't seriously call this shit good by any stretch of the imagination. They really destroyed their own Franchise big time and that deserves a price... the YSBT (you suck big times) price.