Deus Ex Human Revolution: Worth It?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Ok simple question, Deus Ex: HR is £11.95 in Zavvi's Mega Monday sale, I didn't want to buy anything (not with the amount of games coming out in the next two weeks) but these seems too good to pass up. So I ask you, dear friends, should I buy it at this bargain price?

Oh and if yes, should I get it for Xbox or PS3?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
For full retail price? Only if you're a really big fan of the genre and subject matter.

For that bargain price? Absolutely. It certainly wasn't earth shaking and I'm a little disappointed in it given that I did pay full launch price for it, but I'm definitely not sorry that I played it. Just don't go into it expecting something mindblowingly amazing.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
believer258 said:
For that price, I would say go for it.

I really disliked it but a lot of people loved it. I do have my reasons but I won't tell them for fear of ruining any fun you might have. Just know that it definitely is not perfect at all.
humm.. now you've got me thinking, you see dragon age origins (with all the dlc) is also on sale for £14.95 and I've fancied that for the while.

Oh I need to be a millionaire for the amount of games I want!

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Its more challenging than your average shooter, even on easy, if you play it that way. As a stealth game, I find it to be phenomenal.

I mean you can die from a good distance (say 15 or so feet) from a shotgun in a couple hits, so cover is essential. Honestly it's easier to win shootouts on gears of war hardcore without using cover than in DXHR easy.

But the setting, music, and story are all top-notch, and the difficulty curve can be easily overcome. On my second playthrough I had 12 grand sitting around and 6 praxis kits I didnt even have to use before the first boss.

People will claim it railroads you into stealth for more experience but unless you are a god at takedowns or patient you will miss a good portion of loot, so just play it how you will, I know from experience that both approaches are great.

So yeah, get it. It's the only game this year besides dark souls and skyrim that I have bought on release and kept. Every other game I was satisfied with a rental.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
putowtin said:
believer258 said:

I really disliked it but a lot of people loved it. I do have my reasons but I won't tell them for fear of ruining any fun you might have. Just know that it definitely is not perfect at all.
humm.. now you've got me thinking, you see dragon age origins (with all the dlc) is also on sale for £14.95 and I've fancied that for the while.

If given the choice, I would go for DA:O as well. Deus Ex was good, and at times even great, but DA:O is definitely one of my favourite RPGs (and games) of all time.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
putowtin said:
believer258 said:

I actually enjoy Human Revolution more, but that's a way better deal for Dragon Age, ESPECIALLY if it includes Awakening. Go for it. Get HR some other time.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
putowtin said:
believer258 said:

DA:O was disappointing for me. I was expecting NWN level of depth. Nope. If you have previous experience with Bioware's RPGs then I'd say you'll be disappointed.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
It ultimately comes down to preference. I'm just not a big fantasy buff myself, and I love dystopic sci-fi, so regarding premises this would be a no-brainer for me. However, I actually played DA:O as well, and comparing both games I still find DX:HR better in every way (perhaps save for the writing).
Personally, I still hold up DX:HR as my contender for GotY 2011, even after playing Arkham City. And screw what Yahtzee said - it IS an Action RPG; yes, if you do very, very well you might be nearly maxed out by the end of the game, but since the order of your upgrades factors into the experience, your approach to any given situation may be different every time you play through it.

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Haven't played DA:O, keep meaning to play it but never really got round to it.

For that price though, I'd definitely get DX:HR. I personally loved it, thought it was a brilliant game, enjoyed the plot and the gameplay. Only problem I had with it was the ending.