Deus Ex Leak Ends in Lawsuit

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
Most of you are missing the point. Their game was pirated, they have every right to sue. Piracy is still piracy, and this was also a case of stolen identity to get said stolen goods. Double whammy.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Theft is theft buddy. Impersonating someone else probably constitutes fraud as well in some instances as well. It's not about money it's about bring to justice those individuals who perpetrated the act.

If you were working on an indie game and someone hacked your computer and stole the alpha and released it before you were able to put it on xbl arcade or whatever would you be pissed?

The answer is yes.

People in this thread seriously need to get some perspective.

/Facepalm

Yes, Theft is theft. A leak is not theft, What exactly was removed from the possession of the owner of the intellectual property? Thats right absolutely nothing because Eidos and SE still have possession of the game. You can call it a security breach, you can call it mishandling of corporate property, you can call it copywrite infringement as it related to the redistribution of the leaked material, and hell you can even call it fraud based on the defendant is accused of presenting someone elses credentials, but you cant call it theft because nothing was stolen.

People need to understand the words they choose to use.

Now, was my point to say SE should sit back and do nothing? Or was my point to illustrate SE making an outlandishly bold action that makes them look stupid because it is nothing more than stabbing wildly in the dark and spending more money to do so, than what they claim they HAVE lost and justifying it based on the assumption that every instance of copywrite infringement is money out of their pocket.

Heres the perspective that needs to be expressed.

By spending more money than they can ever hope to make back with this litigation they look sphinctery and not capable of basic math.

By not knowing who they are charging they are filing charges against in essence, no one. So who exactly is being brought to justice? A username?

By basing their litigation on assumptions and lacking information, they make themselves look incompetent and further hurt their already suffering public image which is more likely to cost them even more money in "lost sales", be it from boycots of the organization, or by taking this misguided action making themselves a target for "piracy out of spite" Or AKA: "Spore Syndrome"

Thats the perspective that needed to be expressed and that was the point behind my post. Not Piracy R Gud.

As for the indie analogy, thats pretty well flawed considering we are not talking about an indie outfit filled with starving artists on the brink of collapse if they dont profit from their work. We are talking about what is one of the top 5 game producers on the planet to which this leak actually will bring them more profits and may or may not even be an intentional false flag operation to accomplish just exactly that.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Couldnt they just SAY they are suing witheout actually doing so :D I mean cmon. . . .marketing stunts are called stunts for a reason.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I feel like I've sorta lost some interest in multiple pathways and stealth/force options since this game caught my interest way back when

but I'm still interested in trying this game...it's just that there are so many games out I have yet to try, and the end of this year has so many big titles coming out

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
WabbitTwacks said:
yeah, I was puzzled by that too.

anyway, most of the people who illegally download the games wouldn't buy them anyway so that 'lost sales' concept is a bit slippery.
The mere fact that the took the time to Torrent it would suggest that they would've paid SOMETHING for it, even if it wasn't the full price.

You don't see people pirating say, "Math Quiz made in Visual Basic for an assignment". Why? Because it has no value.

Radioactive Kitten

Nov 16, 2009
"Lost sales"? If anything, it will likely gain sales in the end because of this leak. I know I'm not the only one that went from apathetic to quite excited for this release after seeing how much people enjoyed the leaked version.

I can still understand why they're unhappy with the leak, and I was surprised to read that they're only asking for $5k and not some ridiculous amount in the millions as is usual with cases like this. Still, I highly doubt that the leak will result in lost sales. Quite the opposite, really. I think the leak helped sell preorders from all the excitement I saw on various forums.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Wait, would the 5k damages not be split between 'Does 1-15' ? making the amount even more paltry.

This strikes me as basic ass covering (sorry, Due Diligence) from SE v their shareholders with no real hope of ever actually suing anyone.

And that is a waste of the courts time :(

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I think the 5k figure is a rather subtle acknowledgement that whilst they have to be seen to do something, the leak has been very good for DE:HR.

Other Publisher: Hey, I hear your game got leaked. Hope you're gonna go after those bastards!
Square-Enix: Yeah, we're suing for five thousand dollars in lost sales.
Other Publisher: 5 thousand?! When our new FPS got leaked we sued for 500 million in lost sales!
Square-Enix: Yeah, but we figure we won't actually lose as many sales as you did, 'cos people will buy our game anyway seeing as it's, y'know, good.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I very much agree about the thing being beneficial. I too loved the first game, I too hated the second game (and by extension the current gen consoles it got dumbed down for), I too very much doubted that it could live up to the original, I too have downloaded the leaked copy (and I am not the least bit ashamed to admit it. I have never done it or will do it with any other game, this is just how much I loved the franchise) and now I too can't wait for the game to come out.

It is really because of this leaked version alone that I will actually buy the game.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
If this were a publicity stunt and they actually really released the leak themselves, they would be opening themselves up for fraud and frivolous lawsuit charges. There is no way that is true.

There's hopefully some gray matter between some of your ears, try using it occasionally.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
You know what impression this lawsuit gives?

They don't have confidence in their product. Think about it. They're saying "OH NOES! An incomplete demo-like version got leaked! LOST SALES!"

Does that sound like someone who thinks their product is awesome?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Why are Square-Enix claiming they lost five grand on sales, over a game that isn't coming out until the middle of August?

On a related note, I didn't even really want to get the game until I heard all the praise that a leak of an early development version of the game got. If it could generate that kind of reaction, imagine what the finished product will be like.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Socken said:
They're not actually asking for just $ 5,000 dollars, that's just the sum that turns it from small claims to serious business legally speaking. Also they're legally required to take legal action against any kind of copyright infringement. Besides, their shareholders would probably not approve of the company just letting people steal their property.
^^PEOPLE! READ THIS MAN'S POST! ^^
Quoted so that people might actually see this and stop making retarded inferences.

Anyway, prior to the leak, most of the discussion on forums and such was almost universally negative. Afterwards, it's been almost universally positive. I'd say they gained a heck of a lot more sales from now-calmed fans than they lost from a few graphics-whores pre-judging the game. I mean, while I was considering getting it, the leaked version is what pushed me to get the super-special-awesome $140 Collector's Edition

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
Just let it go. People who played the leak version say the game is amazing so it's like a demo. A lot of people pre-ordered the game after playing the leaked preview.
This makes me feel better, if it is as good as we all hoped, then the fact that they used another studio for the PC version was a good move.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
So they are basically suing people that they don't the names of, don't know where they are, don't know what they eat for breakfast.
What judge won't throw this out?
I seem to recall that someone tried to put an arrest warrant on an IP address, but that was quickly quashed since an IP address can't be linked to just one person.
GreatTeacherCAW said:
...that is a lawsuit? I had to pay more for the DUI I got in Arizona. Also, fuck Arizona.
I seriously hope you are kidding, as downloading games is nowhere near the scale of endangering people while drunk driving.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Square Enix stated that it had suffered damages in excess of $5,000 thanks to lost sales, and was seeking an unspecified sum in restitution.
This makes no sense. How can a illegal download of a non-finished game constitute as a 'lost sale'?
Maybe they are just trying to show stock holders they're doing something.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
nyttyn said:
Most of you are missing the point. Their game was pirated, they have every right to sue. Piracy is still piracy, and this was also a case of stolen identity to get said stolen goods. Double whammy.
Bleh, I don't like that philosophy. "Why did you murder Hitler? Murder is murder!"

pyrrhic victory

Jun 9, 2011
I, for one, am impressed by Square Enix. They are obviously aware that this has increased potential sales for Deus Ex, but they're suing as a way of saying "don't pirate". And they are suing for $5000, a fair judgment.

I think this is the first reasonable lawsuit I've heard of.