Deus Ex Mankind Divided Launch Trailer plus First Review

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Bilious Green said:
slo said:
A "review" on Wired is up. http://www.wired.com/2016/08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review/
It's really dumb and mostly consists of the author complaining that the game is not a one-sided political pamphlet of his preferred agenda and whining that all this stupid un-political gameplay gets in the way of his fun him comparing it to The List of Right Ideas.
Which is probably a good sign.
That is some impressive self righteous, navel gazing, progressive wank posing as a review.
I don't think it was attempting to pose as a review at all. It's obviously an editorial and although a bit self righteous, I felt the author did cover some interesting points. Namely why more of the themes presented weren't taken further for the sake of mass market ingestion.

Aside from mistaking the intention of the piece for a review, I fail to see what problems people could have with the write up.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
If story is the biggest issue with the game, then it could possibly be the best one yet. To me, even games with the greatest stories end up largely forgettable, because next to gameplay it is such a passive element. Considering MD is one of the more rare examples of active storytelling, whether it's told well or not is of negligible importance to me. The impact of consequential choices are more critical, and it seems too early to judge on that front yet. Cliche tropes of prejudice,while eye-roll-inducing, are a pretty small nit to pick in the grand scheme of things.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
slo said:
ZombieProof said:
I don't think it was attempting to pose as a review at all. It's obviously an editorial and although a bit self righteous, I felt the author did cover some interesting points. Namely why more of the themes presented weren't taken further for the sake of mass market ingestion.

Aside from mistaking the intention of the piece for a review, I fail to see what problems people could have with the write up.
Well, it is a review. It says it in the link. And this is a review for a sci-fi video game, done by a man, who does not understand reviews, science fiction and video games. I don't think there's a lot of room to be "aside" from these issues.
Regardless of what the link says I still feel the same way. As a review it fails. As an editorial it makes some interesting points.

*edit*
As a review communicating how functional game play and design nuance is, it fails. As an editorial critiquing the literary merit of the game and the honesty/consistency through which it's portrayed, it makes some interesting points.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
ZombieProof said:
Regardless of what the link says I still feel the same way. As a review it fails. As an editorial it makes some interesting points.

*edit*
As a review communicating how functional game play and design nuance is, it fails. As an editorial critiquing the literary merit of the game and the honesty/consistency through which it's portrayed, it makes some interesting points.
To be fair, as a review of the story and political content of a game that's been advertised on its' story and political content, it succeeds. Not all reviews have to be about game play.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Gethsemani said:
ZombieProof said:

*edit*
To be fair, as a review of the story and political content of a game that's been advertised on its' story and political content, it succeeds. Not all reviews have to be about game play.
I can kinda agree, hence the edit.

I personally expect to see some form of critique on a game's gameplay though else the review is personally unservicable to me. That's why I put it in the editorial category. The information contained isn't something that I would use to base a purchase off of (personally) but I can appreciate a discussion on the philosophy and literary merit of all videogames, even ones I don't intend to buy.

Luna Saltatio

Aug 9, 2016
I'm torn. On one hand this game sounds great, but on the other, it's clearly not going to be complete until the story DLC is all out next year. I'm inclined to wait and buy it all for $60, rather than $89.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Just finished playing through the tutorial level and I gotta say that this game is pretty damn dope. The gameplay is smooth as butter and although the dialogue could be a bit ham-fisted at times, there hasn't been anything that's taken me out of the experience.

The game's "inciting incident" is also pretty visceral. The resonance it borrows from what's happening around the world today bolsters the motivation to move forward and works as a pretty good motivator. Looking forward to digging deeper into this mutha.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
ZombieProof said:
Just finished playing through the tutorial level and I gotta say that this game is pretty damn dope. The gameplay is smooth as butter and although the dialogue could be a bit ham-fisted at times, there hasn't been anything that's taken me out of the experience.

The game's "inciting incident" is also pretty visceral. The resonance it borrows from what's happening around the world today bolsters the motivation to move forward and works as a pretty good motivator. Looking forward to digging deeper into this mutha.
Im reading steam reviews and many people complain about performance issue. is it true?

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

Im reading steam reviews and many people complain about performance issue. is it true?
I haven't been on the steam forums since last night to ***** about it unlocking at 12 this afternoon instead of midnight last night so I don't know lol. I haven't encountered any issues though. Beautiful game too.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

I haven't been on the steam forums since last night to ***** about it unlocking at 12 this afternoon instead of midnight last night so I don't know lol. I haven't encountered any issues though. Beautiful game too.
its currently 60% on steam where many people complaining about unoptimization. hopefully it will run good on my GTX 760.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

its currently 60% on steam where many people complaining about unoptimization. hopefully it will run good on my GTX 760.
Actually, I just booted it up to check my settings. I had everything between very high and ultra but MSAA was off. The second I turned it to 2X shenanigans started with the framerate so that's probably what they're talking about. Didn't make that much of a jump from the normal AA visually so keeping it off ain't an issue for me.

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
yes, turning off MSAA gives a good Fps boost according to Total Biscuit.
I myself haven't bought the game yet so i can't confirm.

Sep 14, 2009
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:
B-Cell said:
ZombieProof said:

Actually, I just booted it up to check my settings. I had everything between very high and ultra but MSAA was off. The second I turned it to 2X shenanigans started with the framerate so that's probably what they're talking about. Didn't make that much of a jump from the normal AA visually so keeping it off ain't an issue for me.
from what I've seen, having MSAA off plus volumetric lighting to on or off (not ultra) helps a ton with frame rate issues, I have everything else set to high/on and my game runs pretty well I'd say, but that was just the 45 minutes or so I played around with it so far.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm having a lot of fun with this game so far. Human Revolution was one of my most favorite games of last gen and this one seems to follow suit. Gameplay is pretty much like the last game but much more refined and polished which is really all I was hoping for considering we really haven't had anything like it since the five years it was released. I absolutely love that near-future atmosphere and the game explores a lot of interesting themes. Speaking of which, in the context of human augmentation they are stretching contemporary social issues a bit but the world they created feels so authentic that it still comes together quite well. So yeah, so far MD is everything I loved about HR and then some. Can't wait to get home and play it again. :p

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just started playing it and... it's so on the nose! There just trying way to damn hard to be relevant to today world that they forget that the story take place in another world! And it's like everything that happen exist solely to be a reference to something in today news, I mean "hacktivist" urgg.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
slo said:
A "review" on Wired is up. http://www.wired.com/2016/08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review/
It's really dumb and mostly consists of the author complaining that the game is not a one-sided political pamphlet of his preferred agenda and whining that all this stupid un-political gameplay gets in the way of his fun him comparing it to The List of Right Ideas.
Which is probably a good sign.
Ehm, no. It's about the game being disjointed with parts that really play up political points and parts that downplay them, both trough the gameplay and through the story. This is a fair point to make. Deus ex clearly has political ideas to bring across and can reasonably be criticized for doing so poorly. The article also points out that the different people who make and market the game contradict eachother on the importance of the politics in the game.

The third and fourth paragraph and some comments near the end are admittedly made up of vague generalities, but the rest of that text is fine. While the author clearly has political opinions regarding the issues brought up, those take a backseat to the criticism that deus ex doesn't know what it wants to be.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
slo said:
Meiam said:
Just started playing it and... it's so on the nose! There just trying way to damn hard to be relevant to today world that they forget that the story take place in another world! And it's like everything that happen exist solely to be a reference to something in today news, I mean "hacktivist" urgg.
Yes. You can't really reference the modern day events because they get dated really really fast. That's bad writing.
You can't reference modern day events because they get dated? Thats stupid everything gets dated regardless what you write and do and there are a lot of fiction that reference modern day events, its called satire.