Deus Ex Prequel Novel Coming Next Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex Prequel Novel Coming Next Year

Sci-fi imprint James Swallow [http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/] based on the famed videogame series.

Set in the technologically-advanced but conspiracy-laden near future, Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect follows the adventures of Secret Service agent Anna Kelson and special-ops soldier Ben Saxon. As they come dangerously close to "the truth," they must make choices that could alter the very direction of human history and possibly send it spinning off into a new Dark Age.

"The novel is set in the Deus Ex universe and there will be characters and story elements in it, that will overlap with our next videogame Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which we hope fans will be very excited about," Eidos Montreal [http://www.eidosmontreal.com/] Marketing Game Manager Andre Vu said.

Deus Ex [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22deus+ex%3A+human+revolution%22&x=0&y=0]. Players will take on the role of Adam Jensen, a private security officer at a company doing pioneering work on "augmentations" that can give humans unique powers. Forced to undergo augmentation himself after an attack on the company, Jensen finds himself drawn deep into a world of shadowy conspiracies and powerful secret societies.

Killzone 2 [http://www.amazon.com/James-Swallow/e/B001LTTK7I/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1278964183&sr=8-2-ent]. Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect is slated for release in North America and Europe in February 2011, with Deus Ex: Human Revolution set to follow close behind in March.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I was all set to say something about how I'd almost certainly not be reading this, as I mostly avoid tie-in fiction like the plague, but then I saw that James Swallow was writing it. Now I'm all conflicted! Because his 40K novels have all been rather good.

I may end up actually checking this out, hmm.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009

Anyway, it sounds very promising.
EDIT: as long as the novel doesn't spoil the game's plot.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hmm...Intresting. SOmething for me to look forward to read, I hope its as good as the game will be

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
I may get sucked in by this, for James Swallow has written a number of decent black library books

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Memories of Planescape Torment novelisation rising. MUST SUPRESS MEMORIES.

Well, at least it won't be worse than the Doom novelisation.

Wasn't Neuromaner released in 1986?

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
As much as I loved Deus Ex, I'll wait for reviews to come out to see if I'll buy into it. I bought Invisible War almost instantly, and I regretted it. Even if the books good, it might not matter as most the time books derived from video games either piggy back a popular game, or tries to lay ground work for a new game, or both. Since Deus Ex has been gone from the spotlight for so long, I doubt a book will help Deus Ex introduce new people to the series.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
poiumty said:
MUST... GET... MUST...

well, don't know anything about the author, but god damn, if he does anything like what we read in those books back in DE1, i'm all for it.
The Random One said:
Bah! A real Deus Ex fan would have written Jacob's Shadow.
Have you read The Man Who Was Thursday?

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I found out "the truth" once. It turns out "the truth" is that everybody in power is an evil, exploitative dick and I'm too stupid and lazy to care.

Nevertheless, this looks pretty cool.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Looks interesting.

I'll see how the game itself is shaping up before I think about buying the novel though.

Off topic: Who is Conrad? And why should he be freed?

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
oktalist said:
poiumty said:
MUST... GET... MUST...

well, don't know anything about the author, but god damn, if he does anything like what we read in those books back in DE1, i'm all for it.
The Random One said:
Bah! A real Deus Ex fan would have written Jacob's Shadow.
Have you read The Man Who Was Thursday?
No, but I'm damn keen to.