Deus Ex: The Fall Disables Weapons on Jailbroken Devices

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Johnson McGee said:
deth2munkies said:
IT's confirmed and already fixed: http://forums.imore.com/jailbreaking-unlocking-hacks-themes-mods/258945-deus-ex-has-jailbreak-code-here-how-fix.html

via @Totalbiscuit.
Piss off legitimate players, damage company relations, game cracked in nanoseconds. Fine example of DRM.

At least it's not ATB.
DRM totally only affects pirates, guys (for about 48 hours tops).

On the bright side, those who do jailbrake their devices probably already know how to download patches and fixes to circumvent something like this.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Douchey move, Sqeenix. Douchey move. Not all jail breakers are automatically going to be pirates. No doubt there's a money trail from Apple somewhere in this story.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
It's a good thing they thought this through and disabled weapons for people who modified their Ios device. It's not like they have the ability to hack their modified device to remove an annoying feature they don't want. Crisis averted, ladies and gentlemen, Square has solved the problem of players hacking into their own property.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I like the irony of a developer using crap DRM to control a game whom's universe revolves around an all-powerful cabal of people using technology to control the world.

It's consumer-unfriendly meta-humour!

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Are they Apple fanboys? What reason did they have to do this? I understand that it's not something most developers for iOS devices would do.

deth2munkies said:
IT's confirmed and already fixed: http://forums.imore.com/jailbreaking-unlocking-hacks-themes-mods/258945-deus-ex-has-jailbreak-code-here-how-fix.html

via @Totalbiscuit.
That was quick.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
cursedseishi said:
rofltehcat said:
Can they still do a stealth pacifist playthrough?
Try doing a completely stealth/pacifistic playthrough of Human Revelations.

Back from trying yet? Because with the rampant idiocy that ran behind that game (outsourcing boss fights... really?!), I wouldn't be surprised if a similar effect had struck the IOS title.

Good thing it apparently got fixed though. Maybe next Square will decide to actually fix the original Human Revelation, instead of shitting all over the original adopters by forcing them to pay for a "Director's Cut".
The director's cut just came with all the DLC, boss fights intact.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Yeah no, I'm with Square Enix on this one.

I've never met anyone who didn't use a jailbroken to get free music, apps, etc.

Besides, its kinda funny.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
1337mokro said:
Hype up your game, disappoint everyone when it's a mobile exclusive, sell your game on mobile devices, punish people who own a jail broken device, not just the illegal downloads, any and all jail breaks, step ?, profit?

Could someone get these anti-psychotics to the Square-Eidos office, they seem to desperately need it.
Yeah. I am still unhappy with the fact that The Fall is mobile exclusive.
Then I hear about this bushleague BS.
Perhaps its time to write off my desire to try this one.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah no, I'm with Square Enix on this one.

I've never met anyone who didn't use a jailbroken to get free music, apps, etc.

Besides, its kinda funny.
So if I customise my PC to run more effectively and to my liking, I shouldn't be allowed to play games and other media on it?

Because that's effectively what you've said, that anyone who custom builds their PC then runs Linux/Ubuntu on it shouldn't be allowed media... regardless of if they've paid for it or not?

Blue Baby

Oct 9, 2010
I don't know the percentage of users that jailbreak their device to pirate, but the moment you're screwing over even one of your paying customers you're in the wrong.

Idiotic move Square Enix.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'd be really pissed off if they started doing something similar for Android, my tablet is rooted, but every single game I have installed, I bought with my hard earned cash (or not if it's a F2P game).

Square-Enix is getting shadier and shadier with each passing day.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Just as I thought. This the real bullshit reason they made it an iOS exclusive: because it's easy to side load apps onto android. Oh noes, every one who wants control over their hardware and software is clearly a pirate. I see they patched it after realizing how short sighted and stupid it is kill apps people paid for.

Also, it's not like a shit ton of people jail break their i-devices or something /sarcasm
You know what? i think you might just have answered a question ive been asking myself for a while; Why is FFT:War of the Lions worldwide on IoS but Japan only on Android? maybe Squeenix are afraid of teh dreaded android pirates!

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
L34dP1LL said:
Isn't it ironic that the theme of the game is human augmentation and freedom of choice, and users get punished for "augmenting" their device.
THIS! Oh HELL THIS!!

OT: yeah all that is going to do is tell people who want full access to their electronics that Square wants them to pirate their games. Because if you pay for it FUCK YOUR UNLOCKED DEVICE! If you bootleg it then it plays..........

Since I think piracy is a terrible thing I will just not play the damn game and they can sell their shit to someone else.

NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR PIRACY IT WILL GIVE YOU THE CANCER/AIDS!!AND KILL YOUR DOG/CAT

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
AWAR said:
Why the hell would game developers do this? It's none of their concern if a device has been jailbroken..
It's rather funny, cracking teams often do things like this because it's like a race, who can get the crack out faster than anyone else. Try to find a small title with no DRM, it's hard as hell. Remember The Witcher 2? Had no drm on the GoG version, and that version barely made it to the Pirate Bay, while the DRM version did, and was cracked of course.

A lot of the time it's not even about getting to play games for free (For the warrez teams), but just getting the prestige. Hell, a lot of torrents lately say "Like the game? Buy it!" at the bottom.

(From what I understand, I might just be wildly miss-informed)

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
And here we see Square Enix succumbing to the same pressures EA and Acti-Blizzard have been feeling. Lower earnings and lost money make companies panic and push for greater control over what they sell, even after the point where they sell it to you.

How long are they going to continue to put crap restrictions into their games that accomplish NOTHING but to screw over paying customers? Granted almost no one cares about this as compared to Diablo 3 or SimCity, but that publishers think they can get away with this on any level is bullshit.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
L34dP1LL said:
Isn't it ironic that the theme of the game is human augmentation and freedom of choice, and users get punished for "augmenting" their device.
As well as this being implemented in a game where you will likely spend large chunks of your time hacking virtual systems would be a perfectly logical game to push a DRM system that would condemn you for "hacking"

SE: Please feel free to spend countless hours hacking tedious locks and apple-esque neutered "computers".... But so help us if you even think of doing this on a hacked apple device we are going to shove a chocobo so far up your SCSI port you will be choking on feathers till we actually release Final Fantasy XIII Versus.