Deus Ex: The Fall Launches On July 11

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deus Ex: The Fall Launches On July 11

Deus Ex: The Fall, an iOS roleplaying game spin-off of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, arrives later this week.

According to an informational blurb issued by publisher Square Enix this morning, Deus Ex: The Fall will make its iOS debut on July 11. On that day those of you with appropriately modern iPhones, iPods and iPads will be able to pick up the title for a mere $7 (£4.99/€5.99 for those of you who live on the other side of The Pond).

Those hoping The Fall might be a mobile continuation of Human Revolution may want to be wary of this game however. When Deus Ex: The Fall was first teased, everyone became immediately excited by the idea of a new Deus Ex title, but when it was revealed that the game would be iOS exclusive, some suddenly started to wonder exactly how that might work.

Playing the Deus Ex games has always required many, many buttons, yet somehow Deus Ex: The Fall hopes to offer players a familiar, recognizably Deus Ex experience on devices controlled almost entirely via touchscreen. Further, unlike the excellent Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Fall has been developed by Square Enix's mobile division (its predecessor was created by Eidos Montreal).

Still, if you're into the Deus Ex series because concepts like cyberpunk and human augmentation appeal to you, then Deus Ex: The Fall should still be a viable way to get your futurism fix. Plus, it's only $7. In the gritty, neon-stained world of tomorrow that isn't even enough scratch to buy a candy bar.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
The voice acting in that trailer is terrible. The robot voice sounds more human than the rest of them!

This seems more shooty than its parent game.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
To be completely honest I'd be more interested if it was available for the Playstation Vita, because of the buttons. I've played a lot of touchscreen games that were heavily marred because of unresponsive or overresponsive controls, and would have worked much better on a traditional purpose-built handheld. Mass Effect: Infiltrator is a good example. Consider me skeptical.

All of this is coming from a big Deus Ex fan, mind you. I love the world of Deus Ex, but I find it hard to get behind this one.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Generally not being one to criticize graphics... ugh... that looks awful... many Wii games look a lot much better than this, heck, the original unmodded 2000 Deus Ex looks better than this.

And good Lord, they managed to get even worse voice acting than the 2000 original!.

I'd be lying if I said I'd be surprised if anyone is sincerely excited for this, because I know there's going to be someone out there. There's always someone.

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
kailus13 said:
The voice acting in that trailer is terrible. The robot voice sounds more human than the rest of them!
Indeed. Nice to see it trying to recapture the glory of the first game in that regard.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
This just goes to show further that they never *got* Deus Ex...

Still the animations and voice acting is pretty unforgivable.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
an annoyed writer said:
To be completely honest I'd be more interested if it was available for the Playstation Vita,.
I would totally buy a slightly spruced up Vita version of this, continuing the Icarus Effect story seems a neat idea too.

Sku1c

Jan 19, 2013
Was there anything positive about this thing? Everything i've read has been "f**k it" to downright hate and dev death threats.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is just ridiculous. They are simply putting the Deus Ex name on a game they want to sell well. Lots of companies do this. I mean, the last one was a big success for the company, you don't followup with a mobile game. These guys could teach a class on how to alienate your fans.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Unlike most people on here I don't really hate mobile based gaming. I just think most developers haven't figured out how to make it work for anything more complex than Angry Birds yet. Case in point, this game that no one asked for, and was only given a release date three freaking days before it comes out.

Much like the Lone Ranger movie, this is going to be one of those "Well the numbers said people knew about [Deus Ex/Lone Ranger] and people like [Tablets/Johnny Depp], so we have no idea why it didn't make money!"

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Stevepinto3 said:
Much like the Lone Ranger movie, this is going to be one of those "Well the numbers said people knew about [Deus Ex/Lone Ranger] and people like [Tablets/Johnny Depp], so we have no idea why it didn't make money!"
Hit the nail on the head. Just at a glance I can respect the studio for trying to branch out into the casual waters of the IOS store, but in all honesty the IOS market has already gotten itself a reputation for spewing out hollow games.

That and I wouldn't touch an iPad with a ten foot stick, my Samsung is far too pretty.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Dammit, here I was getting all excited that there had somehow been a follow-up to Human Revolution that had somehow snuck under my radar being released! :(

I'll have to give it a miss as I don't have an iPad, but even if I did have an iPad I'd probably give it a miss; the voice acting in the game looks godawful and I've no idea how Human Revolution's gameplay would work on a touchscreen.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Oh look! A Deus Ex game I would love to play, but it's on iOS!
Yeah, best case scenario, this can snag the, "I wish this was on something with a proper control scheme" Award...<.<