Deus Ex: The Fall Teaser Reveals Almost Nothing

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I'm getting tired of this announcement of an announcement crap. The unfortunate fact is that it's probably super effective at generating hype and attention so it's likely to continue.

Aw well. NEW DEUS EX SOMETHING, ALRIGHT!

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Oh dear. It's been revealed. It's an iOS exclusive game:
https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544

They're getting a ton of deserved flak for it. What a waste of time. This is worse than the April Fool's joke.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Human Revolution blew donggggggs. I'm going to be really hard pressed to get excited for a new one, especially after the ending of the last.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Well, one thing they have right is the name.

It IS the fall of Deus Ex. It even makeees Invisible War look good.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Absolutionis said:
Oh dear. It's been revealed. It's an iOS exclusive game:
https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/posts/506728089380544

They're getting a ton of deserved flak for it. What a waste of time. This is worse than the April Fool's joke.

god what a let down.

And what is it with publishers producing tablet games from major franchises. First there was Microsoft with Windows 8 tablet only Halo: spartan assault and now this.

Are publishers really that desperate to get into the mobile market?

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
More info:

Spoiler Warning: There's not a single positive comment on their forums or Facebook.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=8d02362063f4a04d33f1888647ee8cb1&t=137841
Hey guys, just a quick update to let you know that we've released the Deus Ex: The Fall announcement trailer. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1b8k469DbY

Deus Ex: The Fall will be available soon for iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5 (and above) for $6.99. The Fall is also confirmed for Android devices (timing still to be announced).

The Fall will be playable at the Square Enix booth at this year?s E3, if you're lucky enough to be attending drop by to South Hall #1647 and say hi!
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-Announced

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Spoiler Warning: There's not a single positive comment on their forums or Facebook.
Unfortunately most of the commentators are also whiny little bitches, so that doesn't really mean anything. It's one thing to say that FPS on a tablet, due to performance or controls, is a bad idea. It's quite another to go "Yesterday I started reading Icarus Effect again, today I have deleted it from my Kindle. Thanks for ruining my day Eidos." like a five year old throwing away his Christmas presents because he was told he had to put them away while he ate supper.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think the best point made was that it's not that the game exists, it's that they provided hype, which made people expect another "full sized" Deus Ex game. Imagine if Valve teased a new Half Life and it ended up being like this. It's not the game that's the problem, it's the disappointment due to the expectation.

Formica Archonis said:
Absolutionis said:
Unfortunately most of the commentators are also whiny little bitches, so that doesn't really mean anything. It's one thing to say that FPS on a tablet, due to performance or controls, is a bad idea. It's quite another to go "Yesterday I started reading Icarus Effect again, today I have deleted it from my Kindle. Thanks for ruining my day Eidos." like a five year old throwing away his Christmas presents because he was told he had to put them away while he ate supper.
That's the internet for you, it's pretty much par for the course now.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Absolutionis said:
To be fair, Eidos had been marketing the mysterious "DX: The Fall" for about three months or so without much information aisde from a name and a "it's coming". This sort of marketing would only appeal to fans of the franchise, really. After the April Fool's hiccup that people had a nice chuckle of "glad this isn't real... hah hah hah", Eidos pretty much pulls the same thing here.

Reminds me of how everyone who played it loved Valkyria Chronicles on PS3, so then they go around and release dumbed-down half-assed sequels to the game on PSP only to have the series fade into obscurity.

So yes, they're whining like little bitches, but that doesn't make their reasoning unjustifiable. Eidos marketed the game towards their fans, and then suddenly revealing something on a completely unexpected platform with Eidos-admitted dumbing down.

Personally, I'm not mad. I don't even feel like I'm whining. I'm just let-down for the second time since "Human Defiance".

I guess there's always Thi4f or Th145 or Thief 4 or 78145 or whatever the game is called nowadays.