Deux Ex Turns 10, Goes For $2.50

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Aaaand Europe pays 2.50 EUR. And 5 EUR for the pack. Yay.

Still, I might buy it. Always something for summer, when I'll have only my almost 4-year old laptop.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I personally never had a chance to really try this game, I am probably going to get it given the amount of praise it constantly receives.

That said, a local store is still selling boxed copies for 3.50 ?. And while this is a bargain, the copy of World at War that I received as a gift over Steam made me realise the downsides of digital distribution. So although this is a bargain, I am willing to pay a little extra to have it in a box instead.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
HK_01 said:
I don't see why people love it so much, the aiming mechanic is the most horrible one I've seen so far, making combat really annoying. Maybe it was good for its time or something....
We love it because it's a damn good RPG, which starts you off with hardly any equipment and no augmentations - the aiming isn't supposed to be any good. The 'focusing time' it takes before the crosshairs narrow and you can fire reasonably accurately is a reflection of your respective mastery with the weapon type you're using - leveling up the trait decreases it and shrinks the initial spread. Weapon modifications also make a difference - slap a few accuracy mods onto a gun and aiming will improve dramatically. At master level or with 100% accuracy achieved via a combination of training + mods, there's no focus time at all, just a crosshair that shoots exactly where it looks like it will.

Trying to play the game like a typical shooter in the early stages is a doomed undertaking - balls to the wall violence is a completely valid methodology of course, it's just you're not properly equipped or augmented for it at that point so a more tactical approach is appropriate for your initial field op. After all, the tools you have on hand are either a mini-crossbow with an extremely short operation range that all but requires a stealth based approach, a pistol that's loud and not especially deadly, a rifle that is quite deadly but which you probably can't use at a distance with any degree of accuracy yet, melee weapons that are most effective when you take foes by surprise (thus being tools of a stealth approach), or a tracking missile launcher of awesome that unfortunately takes up a great deal of space in your inventory and does not have a great deal of ammo to begin with so you should probably not squander it on soft targets like the NSF troopers.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I got to see if i can win without killing anyone. I'm told it's possible, but i'm not sure how you would get past some of the tougher enemies without killing them.
German mech guy, don't remember his name

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ne1butme said:
I got to see if i can win without killing anyone. I'm told it's possible, but i'm not sure how you would get past some of the tougher enemies without killing them.
I think three kills are necessary, not sure which ones.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Fuckin' A.
It was £12 yesterday and someone recommended it.

I LOVE Steam deals. They tie in nicely with my game purchase policy. (ie nothing is worth the RRP)
Nothing's going to have a RRP in a few years.

My copy's downloading now, can't wait to try it. Gonna get that HD mod first though - I am a slight graphics whore.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Steam -- bah. Call me when it's on Good Old Games [http://gog.com/].

If you've chosen to infect your system with Steam, then you should be pleased with how Deus Ex behaves on your system. I have the original release on CD. It still runs fine on the latest graphics cards and also on widescreen monitors. There are even still some multiplayer servers out there in active use.

Also -- and this is a really nice bit of future-proofing they did -- the bitmapped menus scale up as well, so you won't be squinting at very tiny pixels when you review your inventory and current objectives.

I just picked it up again after a seven year hiatus. So don't spoil it...

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Actually you have to kill him, but you can do it without using weapons. He has a kill phrase. If you find out what it is (by hacking a computer or something like that), you can kill him just through dialogue.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Yeah I am considering buying this from Steam... I Do have a hardcopy around somewhere but I'll be f***ed if I can find it... HOWEVOOOR, in doing so it would completely mess up my current rule of only have X Number of games being played at any given time.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Oh, so that´s why I had never played it before it was on sale on Steam a few months ago... I was only 5 when it was released, I hadn´t grown out of Jazz Jack Rabbit by that time.

Still, I hadn´t expected it to be that old, I had expected 7 or 8 years.

Centheon

Aug 5, 2009
Uncreation said:
Ne1butme said:
Actually you have to kill him, but you can do it without using weapons. He has a kill phrase. If you find out what it is (by hacking a computer or something like that), you can kill him just through dialogue.
No you don't, you can just run away from him.

You can finish this game without killing a single npc and you can kill most of them as well except those that a vital for continuing the game. There are ways to kill them as well but then you'd have to cheat.

I was spoiled with Deus Ex as a kid and now I expect most games to have the quality it has, unfortunately most games come up short.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
$2.50! That's a good deal. Dunno if my laptop would run it or not, but at that price I couldn't really go wrong with trying it anyway....

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Hm. Maybe I should take advantage of this. I've heard for ages about how great this game is... ah, why the hell not? Now I just gotta go re-download Steam first...

oranger

May 27, 2008
you can totally go without killing anyone, and if you couldn't knock out navarre/hermann, you weren't trying hard enough lol...each dart does exactly one percent damage to them, so you need to hit them in the torso a few times before you start darting them...gas grenades help a great deal as well, and you can turn on your enviro/ballistic armor to get in close for some taser action.

edit: you know, some days I pop in the old sound track, for the nostalgia you know.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Fucking lame! I knew that they were going to offer a sale for this and I waited patiently. Then yesterday my internet goes down and now that it is up the sale is over.

Even though the day isn't and several [http://www.planetdeusex.com/news/index.asp?month=6&day=23&year=2000] sources [http://web.archive.org/web/20020225004959/www.ionstorm.com/news/daily_informant/060900_062300.htm] list [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_(video_game)] today as the release date and not the 22nd.

And I believe that it is today. Because June 23rd, 2000 was a Friday. I remember visiting my local CompUSA the day earlier, and witnessing the employees prepare to stock the game, by the day's end and being told we couldn't buy it until the day after. The day after, I stopped by with my cousin after summer school and played that thing until we dropped from exhaustion the following weekend.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Am I missing a joke or reference here, or is Deus Ex spelled wrong in the title?

Otherwise, sweet. I'll have to try it I suppose, seeing as it's a landmark in gaming history and all.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
...June 2000? Really? Damn, I was sure it had came out in 1999. I'll have to rescind a few comments about no good games being made in years beginning with a 2.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
You lied to me!!! It says it's still ten dollars...

I want to buy it, but I also like having food! >< (college)