Deux Ex Turns 10, Goes For $2.50

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Deux Ex Turns 10, Goes For $2.50

Want to feel old? Legendary FPS/RPG Deus Ex came out a decade ago - and if you've never played it, you can now grab it for two-and-a-half bucks.

If MovieBob's mentioning that the first Toy Story came out fifteen years ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1809-Toy-Story-3] didn't make you feel old, how about this: Deus Ex is ten years old today.

On June 23, 2000, Ion Storm released Deus Ex, a cyberpunk first-person-shooter-slash-RPG set in a dystopian future. Known for its entrancing conspiracy-minded story, interesting characters and incredible versatility that let you go through the game practically without firing a shot, Deus Ex became one of the most beloved games of all time.

And now it's ten years old. Happy birthday, J.C. Denton.

By the way, in case you missed the (dated, but still excellent) game the first time around, it's $2.50 on Steam right now [http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/] to commemorate the anniversary. What the hell are you waiting for?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
If you guys have not tried it, buy it. It is an excellent game, and shows how an action rpg can really be.

Dont let the graphics turn you off!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I just wish that they can release System Shock 2 in Steam as well.

But this will do as well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm going to get the Deus Ex pack, since it's like 70p more. Yeah, I get that the sequel isn't better but what a bargain.

Anyone know if that Deus Ex HD mod is working?

Furburt said:
Right, despite the fact that the last time I reinstalled this, it sort of disappointed me, then I lost my disk, I'm going to get this. I figure if I go into it with the right mindset, and remind myself that the AI is always going to be really, really bad, I'll enjoy it as much as I did the first time, back in 2000.
I was 6 and you were 8, so please tell me you couldn't get much further then the training level...

[small]I had to get my dad to help me with it when that mech came past![/small]

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
when i first played this back in my days of being a wee nipper...i assumed it was JC denton because i put James Cunningham as my name >.< ahhh, the folly of youth :D lol

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Wow. Deux Ex is 10 years old. Wish I could get Steam so I can play it, but I rarely play PC games ever since I got a laptop.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I bought it the last time it was on sale. Was very disappointed. Good for it's time, merely "okay" now.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again: They had a sale for Deus Ex, for the exact same price, by the way, a couple of weeks ago already, and I think it's stupid to have one again so soon. I'd rather have had a price reduction for a different game that hasn't had one recently.

Also, I had bought it last time, and in my humble opinion it's not very good. I don't see why people love it so much, the aiming mechanic is the most horrible one I've seen so far, making combat really annoying. Maybe it was good for its time or something....

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really considering getting this, I loved it wghen I first played it. I am sure I would now

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Happy birthday DX! I remember the last time I installed it (at which point I decided just to not bother uninstalling it - was getting repetitive). The installer saw my EVGA 8400 and said something like "This isn't a Voodoo card." No, no it isn't.

And after you've all played it again, go get and play The Nameless Mod [http://thenamelessmod.com/].

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
I have very little interest in this game (should be interesting to try it out though), but I just bought it. I'd buy damn near anything for that price.

I remember last Steam Holiday Sale... I went into a coma the minute I laid eyes on it, and when I woke up I had emptied my bank account and filled my Steam account with so many games it was close to exploding.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Fuckin' A.
It was £12 yesterday and someone recommended it.

I LOVE Steam deals. They tie in nicely with my game purchase policy. (ie nothing is worth the RRP)

jjafargi

Apr 2, 2010
Unhappy Crow said:
Wow. Deux Ex is 10 years old. Wish I could get Steam so I can play it, but I rarely play PC games ever since I got a laptop.
It all depends on your laptop. Steam runs just fine on mine, as well as most of my games, Crysis included (obviously on min settings, though). And, more relevant to you, Deus Ex also runs just fine. Even on Windows 7.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This was such an absolutely brilliant game. I wonder if they could do a remake where all they really did was make the graphics awesome again!

Joe1897

Oct 23, 2009
Marik2 said:
I just wish that they can release System Shock 2 in Steam as well.

But this will do as well.
I second this opinion, more people need to play SS2!.