Dev: King Made a "Blatant Clone" of Our Game

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dev: King Made a "Blatant Clone" of Our Game

According to Stolen Goose's Matthew Cox, King commissioned a clone of its game Scamperghost after licensing negotiations fell through.

King, the company behind the game Candy Crush Saga have recently been at the center of a lot of outrage and scrutiny thanks to its recent <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131475-Candy-Crush-Saga-Studio-Trademarks-the-Word-Candy>trademarking of "candy" and its dogged pursuit of developers sporting the gall to include the word in their game's titles. As if is this wasn't enough, it's recently been revealed that King has also been <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131533-Candy-Crush-Saga-Dev-Attempts-to-Block-Banner-Saga-Trademark>pursuing legal action to interfere with the Stoic Studios use of the word "saga" in the title of its tactical RPG The Banner Saga. King has since stated this has all been to defend its gaming properties from being copied or exploited by competing companies.

According to developer Matthew Cox however, King may be guilty of some cloning of its own. According to Cox, his studio, Stolen Goose, was working a game a few years ago by the name of Scamperghost. King expressed an interest in licensing the game and entered into negotiations with Stolen Goose. These dealings came to a close when one of King's competitor's, Max Games, offered Stolen Goose a better deal which the studio took. According to Cox, King "retaliated against us" by making "a direct clone of our game" that it then tried to rush to market before Scamperghost's release.

Cox and company were eventually contacted by the developers of said clone, titled Pac-Avoid, who confirmed that King had requested that they "clone the game very quickly" to beat Stolen Goose to the punch. While Cox freely admits that Scamperghost was never "the most original game in the world" and was "obviously inspired by Pac-Man, in his opinion King crossed a definite line. "[They] showed no respect for other people's intellectual property when they made a direct, blatant clone of Scamperghost. Now they've trademarked "Candy" and are using their massive legal power against other small competing developers. A bit of a double-standard, eh?"

Source: <a href=http://junkyardsam.com/kingcopied>Junkyard Sam

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Zynga is dead, long live the King.

captcha: imagine, inspire, create
oh captcha, you cheeky rascal

lvramire

Nov 11, 2010
Man, the more you hear the worse it seems to get.

All the bad PR about King lately is making me uncomfortable to even have it on my phone (strange as that is). I don't even play Candy Crush but keep it installed because one of my friends is really into it and likes to ask me for lives. Perhaps I should go uninstall it and leave a bad review about their legal practices on the google store...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
*sigh*
Man, and I thought Zynga were truly the King of Jerks, seems like King wants to be considered a King of Jerks.
Really this is just sad, and the fact that they are doing this makes me sick. What's worse is that they got away with trademarking "candy" in the first place.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
So King cloned a game which was in and of itself just a clone of Pacman.

It's like an "Inception" of idea-theft.

Oh, wait.

DJ_Bunce

Jan 20, 2010
Eh. Hopefully everyone will see how douchey this company is and simply stop buying their products. Let them die a dog's (Zynga's) death.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
DJ_Bunce said:
Eh. Hopefully everyone will see how douchey this company is and simply stop buying their products. Let them die a dog's (Zynga's) death.
If only. Sadly, the vast majority of their audience doesn't know about their dickery, nor do they care.

No, I'd wager King will die when the new flavor of the week arrives. Afterwards that newcomer will probably take over the mantle Dark Lord of the Shit, just as King did before it, and Zynga before that. Until it too will eventually be overthrown by the next best thing. Thus, the cycle will continue.

ChroniclerC

Oct 30, 2009
Everyone fears their own vice (and yes, I got that from Burn Notice). So of course the people suing anything that even looks like a copycat are massive copycats themselves.

Sep 9, 2007
DJ_Bunce said:
Unfortunately, the chances of that are pretty slim, as I'd hazard a guess to say a fair majority of King.com's userbase would be unfamiliar with the ins and outs of gaming news. There will be some backlash by those that are following this mess, but on the whole I don't think it will come to much.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Not surprising really. People like the ones at King are always the type that protest the loudest about something and play the victim card because they don't want the light to be shone on them. Because they know they did the exact same thing they're complaining about. Like a bully. Constantly picks on you, but the second you hit back, he goes running to the teacher saying you're the bully.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lvramire said:
Perhaps I should go uninstall it and leave a bad review about their legal practices on the google store...
Thats what i done when they decided to copyright word "Candy". there really should be no support for companies that are this purely evil.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This entire debacle feels sleazy as fuck, it's basically an asshole suing another lazy asshole.

Wait... in fact, this should be pretty entertaining.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
lvramire said:
Perhaps I should go uninstall it and leave a bad review about their legal practices on the google store...
Thats what i done when they decided to copyright word "Candy". there really should be no support for companies that are this purely evil.
I wouldn't call them evil. They are not Assad, Khadaffi or Khomeini.
King is just a massive dickhead and should be seen as a massive dickhead.
Calling him evil is just giving him too much credit. He's not worth it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
JenSeven said:
Strazdas said:
lvramire said:
I wouldn't call them evil. They are not Assad, Khadaffi or Khomeini.
King is just a massive dickhead and should be seen as a massive dickhead.
Calling him evil is just giving him too much credit. He's not worth it.
They have pushed though a trademark right in order to do damage to other games not related to them meanwhile lieing about it while having aboslutely nothing to gain from this. They are trying to ruin other people just because they can. It is evil. It may not be evil on the scale of Bin Laden but it is evil nonetheless. Id have more objection on calling Khadaffi evil but i guess that is discussion for another time.

Evil is not credits. Evil is just a definition of people we really dont like. And i really dont like anyone that uses copyright/trademark/patent legal flaws to fuck other people over.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
You know, "King" seems like too nice of a name for these guys. "Tyrant" seems like a more fitting title honestly.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
In the long run, sadly, I doubt such a disturbing revelation will affect King, unless he's successfully sued. This sort of debacle is one that will not reach most of his prospective customers, so this will probably not influence sales.

Hoh well. Good to know the mobile gaming industry is still in good repute.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"Competing companies"?

They made a shitty Bejewled clone.

They're full of themselves. this is joke. I am honeslty giving up on Smartphone gaming. Besides, licensing "saga"? Are they fucking mad? "Candy"? I am... I just... I give up.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
lvramire said:
Man, the more you hear the worse it seems to get.

All the bad PR about King lately is making me uncomfortable to even have it on my phone (strange as that is). I don't even play Candy Crush but keep it installed because one of my friends is really into it and likes to ask me for lives. Perhaps I should go uninstall it and leave a bad review about their legal practices on the google store...
I say do it, I'd say I'll stop playing their games but I never have, so you can live the dream and uninstall. Although this has gotten me a lot more interested in Banner Saga, I don't have the cash right now but you bet I will buy it one of these days even if I never play it.