Dev Says 3D, Not Move, is the "Big Thing" For Shooters

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dev Says 3D, Not Move, is the "Big Thing" For Shooters

Blacklight: Tango Down [http://playtangodown.com/] Project Lead Jared Gerritzen says the PlayStation Move is cool but the real "big thing" in the FPS genre is 3D.

When you come home from a hard day at the office with nothing more on your mind than a brief escape from the inhumanity of humanity, do you really want to spend the evening jumping around your living room like an over-caffeinated Ed Allen? Of course not. You want to plop down and mash some buttons.

"Games are a way to escape. Having someone moving around to play is great but it's very tiring," Blacklight: Tango Down Project Lead Jared Gerritzen told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-02-future-of-fps-is-3d-not-move]. "Most people work a full day and then they come home and want to sit on their comfy couch and just move their thumbs, not their whole body."

Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE] and other motion controllers might be good for some genres but when it comes to the shooter, Gerritzen said the way of the future is 3D. "Move is definitely one of the cooler motion controllers just because it's really easy to track. It's cool, but I think if anything Sony has is going the right direction, it's 3D," Gerritzen said. "We have that working on some of the graphics cards for the PC. Other than the fact it gives me a splitting migraine after half an hour it's just so awesome. Actually looking into a screen and having it feel 3D is absolutely the best way to make a player feel like they're in that world."

"That right there is the big thing," he added, "not waving my arms around."

I agree with half of that sentiment; I don't think that motion controllers are going to bring much to the FPS table. But I'm not sure that 3D is either, and I'm even less convinced that Gerritzen's admission that 30 minutes of 3D gaming gives him a debilitating headache does his argument much good. I could be off-base on this one but "For gamers who would rather suffer with indescribable pain than get some exercise" doesn't strike me as an overly-effective ad slogan.

Blacklight: Tango Down is available now on the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, Games for Windows Live and Steam.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
3d is better than motion controls, but seriously lets just keep it 2D

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Not surprising. Kinect is doomed because it can't take walking into consideration, otherwise you'd move out of range or into a wall. 3D isn't much better though since it's purely visual, but it least it's not an immediate hinderance either.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'd much rather have 3D over Motion Controls, but honestly, I'd rather just stick to a conventional gaming platform. No need to jump gimmick train.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Sigh, it didn't post the first time so now I'm forced to double post so the first one will appear. What causes this anyway?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Its amazing how people will pick out the misspelling but not actually comment on the article.

I don't think 3D is the next big thing...I don't really feel there are many more big things for gaming other than perfecting the art. Virtual Reality is really the only next step as far as I'm concerned.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
If anyone else played minecraft there is a setting to turn on 3D. Now this is not true 3D but the red and blue stuff. What I am trying to say though is that this is insanely nauseating. when fighting zombies and running around you get dizzy like crazy. What would happen when your trying to frag your friend from across the map?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
no shit sherlock if I want to hold my hands like a gun and yell "BANG" "BANG" I might as well play cops and robbers

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
This guy is talking sense.

Anyone anticipating Modern Warfare 3D to be announced soon? (I really hate franchises that call threequels "3D" for some reason...just smacks of unoriginality)

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
roflzors said:
What is a shootesr?
You made an acount just to say somthing none of us really care about?

OT: makes sense, I dont think move is good for any games other then party ones. No person will be anting to play for hours on BFBC2 if they have to be running all that time.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Guy makes good point.

I don't mind 3D to be honest, so long as it's done with some subtlety (Toy Story 3). I'm far too lazy for motion controls though.

EDIT

tomtom94 said:
Anyone anticipating Modern Warfare 3D to be announced soon?
No, not really. Blops has a 3D thing that can be turned on and off. I'm guessing MW3 will do the same.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I like the idea of 3D and I do think it could be a step forward for gaming. However they need to sort out the whole headache thing first. Most gamers play for extended periods of time, so if they are getting an migraine every hour... Well, its not going to serve them well now is it.

I do like the idea of a 3D shooter, having the bullets flying at you and such would look cool.