Developer Brings Halo Cheer to Liver Transplant Kid

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Developer Brings Halo Cheer to Liver Transplant Kid

Bungie tells sick kid "world domination can wait" as it wishes him a speedy recovery.

When Seattle-based Reddit user fiscal_ reached out to Bungie, asking the game developer if it wouldn't mind sending something to cheer his five year old son - in the hospital for a liver transplant - Bungie went above and beyond the call. Special Halo swag, including a detailed replica helmet, was hand-delivered to this young gamer-in-training by Bungie employee Christine. That's her in one of the shots, but just look at the expression on that kid's face as dad puts the helmet on him. You wouldn't think he'd just had surgery.

[gallery=1009]

"He doesn't play [Halo] the way you or I would," said his dad, when asked about kids his son's age playing an M rated game. "I'll sit down and play a part of the campaign with him, or mom will join us for our own multiplayer game. He likes the idea of Halo more than playing Halo." He also likes wearing that spiffy shirt, part of the Bungie care package.

The family thanked everyone involved, for helping ease their son's recovery. "We are fortunate enough to have health insurance that took care of the transplant and all subsequent appointments and medications," said dad, and he went on to ask that anyone who felt they wanted to help out should donate to the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. [http://www.aasld.org/giving/Pages/TheLiverResearchFund.aspx]

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/16x2kx/thank_you_bungie_my_sons_transplant_surgery_and/]

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Neat. I like reading about kids on the recieving end of this kind of generosity in the hopes that they pass it along when they're old enough to impact the world.

Kudos to them, and even more kudos to whoever it was that gave up a significant amount of their liver for this kid.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I've always respected Bungie as a developer. They've always seemed like good people.

Good to see that I can keep feeling that way.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Good for the kid. Nice of Gearbox. And a nice feelgood story for us to feel a little bit better with.

Everybody wins.

Captcha: you good?
They even make the captcha care.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
UBERfionn said:
You had to show me that...

I'm all emotional now.

Good going bungie guys
I'm with you, I teared up looking at that. What a great thing to do!

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Y'know, I have never played Halo (as much as I want to) but I always did like Bungie as a developer. This just goes on to show it.

Good show Bungie!

Now to see how the press turns this story around...

Captcha: how sweet
Indeed captcha! Indeed.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Karloff said:
just look at the expression on that kid's face as dad puts the helmet on him.
I dost crown thee Master Couinaud.

(There's not a lot of good liver words that start with "C".)

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
For a kid who has a tough battle ahead of him, this was an awesome thing to do.

I also like how this is a good way of explaining one way how this is how you mix parenting and gaming... But no one tell fox about this..

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Shhh.. This is all a conspiracy, they are actually secretly augmenting kids to become Spartans.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
good going bungie, and look, a RESPONSIBLE PARENT. Plays M rated game with him and not jusrt dumps him inf ront and leaves him to it.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Poor kid... Good luck little gamer.

Side note to the comments
Always thought the violence was more cartoony in halo anyway. The M is a very generic lable.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
slash2x said:
Poor kid... Good luck little gamer.

Side note to the comments
Always thought the violence was more cartoony in halo anyway. The M is a very generic lable.
Yeah, many m rated games are more cartoony the real life, but for a news outlet, I don't think they'll take the extra step to notice that detail and just zero in on the rating... Sad as that may be.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I never really had an opinion on Bungie other then "that company that made those Halo games" but now it seems they have proven themselves to be real respectable company. It is very annoying that media paints all games evil, when there are deeds carried out like this often. Sadly, I'm just waiting for U.S journalism to quickly snap this up saying that Bungie is making sick kids in soldiers.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Aw man...

RIGHT IN THE FEELS!

Bungie was just a company to me, but after seeing that they have gained massive amounts of respect from me. Reading some of the messages in the card made me smile too.

Good job Bungie, stay awesome.