Devil May Cry Creator Misses Dante

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Devil May Cry Creator Misses Dante

Hideki Kamiya has somber feelings about the fact that Devil May Cry's Dante is no longer under his control.

The series reboot DMC [http://www.amazon.com/Devil-May-Anniversary-Collection-Playstation-2/dp/B000IB0CU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284744091&sr=8-2] appears to change everything we previously knew about Dante. Dante's creator, Hideki Kamiya, indicates that he misses the character he first developed in 2001.

Responses by Kamiya to Twitter followers don't straight up bash the new Dante, but they aren't exactly enthusiastic. When one follower wrote "I miss the Dante you made," Kamiya replied with: "I miss him too." When another told Kamiya "It's sad to see what you started turn this way," Kamiya said: "I've been sad since Dante left me."

A third asked if Kamiya thought Ninja Theory would "evolve" the action game standard he set with Bayonetta [http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Xbox-360/dp/B001YI0Z2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284744124&sr=8-1], and Kamiya said: "Whatever." Whether this reply was motivated by a lack of interest in the new Dante or not isn't clear, as it could have been lost in translation. After reports got out that Kamiya wasn't a fan of the new Dante, he wrote:

Hello all foreign fans. Recently I got lots of comments like 'Dante has changed,' and someone said I was not too fond of newest Dante. But it's not true.'Dante has changed'...that's right. But from my point of view Dante has changed every time the sequel came out, and he was always different from whom I created first. So why don't you wait and see how their new trial will be same as usual...? (sorry about my poor English ).

When you're a member of the game industry, it's really not in good form to bash another company's product, so Kamiya may have been doing some damage control. For clarity purposes, though four Devil May Cry games have been made, Kamiya hasn't worked on the series since the first and he's no longer at Capcom. He's probably been missing Dante for a decade since Capcom gave Devil May Cry 2 to a separate in-house studio that he wasn't a part of. It's likely to actually be interesting for Kamiya to see an alternate take on his creation, as DMC stars a new character and the game may all be in his mind. I think it has potential, even if hardcore Devil May Cry fans are a bit outraged.

Source: The Silent Chief [http://thesilentchief.com/2010/09/16/hideki-kamiya-responds-to-ninja-theorys-dmc/]

Dec 14, 2009
Wut? Who the hell bought DMC for character development? In the original he was a slightly stoic guy in a great game. In the 2nd game he was a slightly more stoic guy in a shit game. In the 3rd he was a younger, less stoic and more cocky guy in an awesome game. Although I can empathise with with the feeling of someone else using your ideas without any of your input.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
To be honest, I was fine with anything they did with Dante, even as recently as DMC4. But this...this Dante just looks stupid.

I'll reserve full judgment until I can play the game, though. Ninja Theory is a pretty solid developer, after all.

They're making "Enslaved" and that game just looks amazing.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Ninja Theory gets DMC and makes a game that looks terrible in the eyes of it's fans.

Team Ninja gets Metroid and makes a Metroid game who in the eyes of many of it's fans IRREDEEMABLY KILLED THE CHARACTER

What is it with Ninja's and the end of the world? No actually you guys do me a favor and pick up a shit ass franchise and kill that!

Dec 14, 2009
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Ninja Theory gets DMC and makes a game that looks terrible in the eyes of it's fans.

Team Ninja gets Metroid and makes a Metroid game who in the eyes of many of it's fans IRREDEEMABLY KILLED THE CHARACTER

What is it with Ninja's and the end of the world? No actually you guys do me a favor and pick up a shit ass franchise and kill that!
What does this prove? That any changes to the way a character was portrayed in their original game will leave a trail of butt-hurt fanboys in its wake.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I've been good with Dante in all games even DMC 4. But this? I'm sorry i will never defend or forgive these guys for this one.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
To be honest, I was fine with anything they did with Dante, even as recently as DMC4. But this...this Dante just looks stupid.
I think this is the main objection. Throughout the series Dante has always looked pretty much the same. White hair, long red coat, pretty cocky demeanour, badass attitude.

The new one...not so much. For a game which is almost entirely about the spectacle of it all, changing the well-loved appearance of the main charcter seems to me like a big faux-pas. Even Nero was mostly the same with the exception of a couple of emo moments, but then, Dante wasn't without his emo either (LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHTTTTTTTTT)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It looks like a younger version of the same person to me, which is what they were trying to get I believe.

Dec 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
It looks like a younger version of the same person to me, which is what they were trying to get I believe.
Don't you understand. The devs are not Japanese, which means that they will fail on every single level of justifiable existence! Otaku-tards piss me off.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
The new Dante even smokes. That's how intent NT is on turning everything inside out.

For those of you not in the know. Kamiya was adamant about not having Dante smoke because he thought Dante would be cooler that way.

Personally I'm not distraught, fanboy as I am, but then again I'm not all that butthurt either. I'll give it a shot.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should've handled the character design with much greater care. I'm not saying the original Dante was a great design, but he was easily recognizable and his image has been cemented into the fanbase's brain over the years.

And handing the franchise over to a developer who clearly isn't capable of overseeing such a large franchise was the biggest mistake of all.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:

What does this prove? That any changes to the way a character was portrayed in their original game will leave a trail of butt-hurt fanboys in its wake.
Penny Arcade has our answer

And don't pretend if this wasn't something you like being f***ed up that you wouldn't be upset, because your not that big of a person, you are human.

If I told you say... Amaterasu was being reworked into a firey latina woman who went around being sassy to people, and I told you she was supposed to be the Goddess of the Sun, can you in all honesty tell me "That would be perfectly fine"

Dec 14, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:

Well, to be fair, Other M to me is just annoying. Samus comes off as a dumb blond trying to sound deep, the reason she can't use all her weapons from the start is the lamest excuse anyone could come up with, and from a few reviews the forced scanner parts can be a real pain in the ass because not everything likes to register upon first, or even second swipe. I have the Metroid Prime trilogy for the Wii, so personally I don't see much of a reason to nab Other M.

But so far the dmc hate is based off a short trailer. Kamiya has a point in his statement, Dante has changed in every game. And even the much-hated DMC2 added things that would become a core part of the series later on. Sure the graphical style bugs me, but I'm willing to wait til release when I can rent it, to carry out any judgement.
I like the way Samus turned out in Other M. Sure there were moments that made me raise an eyebrow, but at least the devs tried to inject some personality into an otherwise non-character (Yes, a silent protagonist is a non-character, no personality, just a will do everything someone else tells them to do. This isn't a bad thing, it's just not very orignal). Sure it could have been a whole lot better, but at least someone tried to mix things up a little bit.

Dec 14, 2009
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:

And don't pretend if this wasn't something you like being f***ed up that you wouldn't be upset, because your not that big of a person, you are human.

If I told you say... Amaterasu was being reworked into a firey latina woman who went around being sassy to people, and I told you she was supposed to be the Goddess of the Sun, can you in all honesty tell me "That would be perfectly fine"
Nah man, that would be totally awe -
But yeah, I can understand that drastic changes would piss off the fans, but simply changing a dude's hair colour a little bit shouldn't deserve a scorched earth response.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Personally, I don't dislike Dante's new look. Then again I'm not that much of a DMC fan, so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
ninja theory could have done a better job designing him in the trailer but I'll wait for a demo or rent it before i judge it too harshly. i play old game that look like crap now so i really shouldn't judge the look of this game

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
No matter what, it'll be better than DMC2. If the action is good, it'll be good. I just view it the same way I'd view something like Marvel Zombies. Alternate universe is alternate, if it's good it'll sell well and continue, if not, then it wont.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SpaceMedarotterX said:

Nah man, that would be totally awe -
And consider that Ninja Theorys last game was Heavenly Sword which I personally found to be short and bad, and that "Oh Dante has to reload his guns now, and the over the top action from the last games has been removed to be more realistic" You know the stuff that made Devil May Cry fun to begin with doesn't leave me with a whole load of hope for this project.

But really my original post was just making a joke on the common term of Ninja