Dexter Season 9 trailer (nope you didn’t read that wrong)

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah I'd heard rumblings about this over the last year. The folks involved in the original series development weren't happy with how they were forced to end it and Michael C. Hall was always happy to come back. I believe it started out as a tv movie, but I guess they got the studio on board to fund a whole season. I think it's gonna be a one time deal. The series lost me after the amazing season 4 with John Lithgow. I was never impressed with his sister's character. I felt like it was a "women in refrigerators" situation and her inconsistency ruined the series for me. I'm interested to see what they come up with given so much time to ponder the mistakes of the original series writing.

Reactions: Sora383

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'd be...curious

Season 1-4 was clearly peak Dexter and it all kind of went downhill from there. It felt like Season 8 was...returning to form is too strong of praise but it was getting better until that ending.

I'm guessing this isn't going to be good but a lot of these "older shows getting rebooted/restarted" have been surprisingly really good so my cynical old self where I just assume it's a cash grab that'll suck won't come into play. I'm not expecting it to be good but I'll watch it unless it gets absolutely shredded in reviews once it comes out. This trailer really told us nothing (except that his Lumber Jack Beard was his last victim) so not a whole lot can be gleamed from here...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay having watched like 3 episodes and not knowing what season they were from, I thought I had gathered just from social osmosis he had died in the finale?

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Okay having watched like 3 episodes and not knowing what season they were from, I thought I had gathered just from social osmosis he had died in the finale?
Social Osmosis I like that term.

Yea in the last episode he was boating into a hurricane and then they pulled the Sopranos ending and didn’t actually show him living or dying

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I'd heard rumblings about this over the last year. The folks involved in the original series development weren't happy with how they were forced to end it and Michael C. Hall was always happy to come back. I believe it started out as a tv movie, but I guess they got the studio on board to fund a whole season. I think it's gonna be a one time deal. The series lost me after the amazing season 4 with John Lithgow. I was never impressed with his sister's character. I felt like it was a "women in refrigerators" situation and her inconsistency ruined the series for me. I'm interested to see what they come up with given so much time to ponder the mistakes of the original series writing.
How did they end the series? Because i actually read the novels, and recall how they ended the books. I'm curious how close it was to that.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Yea in the last episode he was boating into a hurricane and then they pulled the Sopranos ending and didn’t actually show him living or dying
Feel free to use it. I didn't invent it. At least I don't think.

Anyway to Dexter, are they gonna explain how he survived the hurricane or just pretend it didn't happen, or is Season 9 supposed to take place before?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I'm not sure it was separate media thing or maybe after credits, but they did show him having faked his death in the hurricane and living in the cabin.
How did they end the series? Because i actually read the novels, and recall how they ended the books. I'm curious how close it was to that.
I've never read the books. I kinda forgot about them, maybe I'll go back and read them.

The shows last season revolves around his sister reaching her ultimate form as the most annoying character ever written. She'd found out about his serial killer deal and becomes a whiny drug addict, throwing herself around the plot. The show starts to revolve around characters no one likes or cares about. She eventually breaks her neck and I wanna say dexter drowns her during a hurricane and fakes his death /fin *it just occurred to me I forgot what happened to his adopted kids, but I also don't really care. *

The more I dredge up my memories of Dexter the more I remember how much I loved and hated the show. It's kinda two shows. One is an intriguing thriller about a forensics cop who secretly hunts murders to fuel his inner serial killer and when it does that it's amazing. Unfortunately this is balanced with quite possibly the worst cop drama ever written with the stupidest characters imaginable. This is no Breaking Bad. 50% of the show is great but any time it tried to do character drama you literally rooted for everyone excepting maybe his partner, who seemed like an entirely pleasant human being, to die.

His sister is an inconsistent idiot who falls ass backwards into every plot development and for whom I would not trust to own a gun or even an overly sharp fork. Her primary character trait is that she cusses a lot, for no particular reason. His wife who should be interesting as a former abuse victim is instead pulled straight out of a lifetime movie, literally whining about everything nonstop. She reminds me of the SNL skit "Whats wrong with Tanya?". The audience is supposed to be captivated by how he manages to manipulate all these characters despite being a psychopath, but instead it just becomes tiresome and insulting to ones intelligence.

I'm hoping this season they get back to the basics, get some better writers and focus on what made Dexter good.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm not sure it was separate media thing or maybe after credits, but they did show him having faked his death in the hurricane and living in the cabin.

I've never read the books. I kinda forgot about them, maybe I'll go back and read them.

The shows last season revolves around his sister reaching her ultimate form as the most annoying character ever written. She'd found out about his serial killer deal and becomes a whiny drug addict, throwing herself around the plot. The show starts to revolve around characters no one likes or cares about. She eventually breaks her neck and I wanna say dexter drowns her during a hurricane and fakes his death /fin *it just occurred to me I forgot what happened to his adopted kids, but I also don't really care. *

The more I dredge up my memories of Dexter the more I remember how much I loved and hated the show. It's kinda two shows. One is an intriguing thriller about a forensics cop who secretly hunts murders to fuel his inner serial killer and when it does that it's amazing. Unfortunately this is balanced with quite possibly the worst cop drama ever written with the stupidest characters imaginable. This is no Breaking Bad. 50% of the show is great but any time it tried to do character drama you literally rooted for everyone excepting maybe his partner, who seemed like an entirely pleasant human being, to die.

His sister is an inconsistent idiot who falls ass backwards into every plot development and for whom I would not trust to own a gun or even an overly sharp fork. Her primary character trait is that she cusses a lot, for no particular reason. His wife who should be interesting as a former abuse victim is instead pulled straight out of a lifetime movie, literally whining about everything nonstop. She reminds me of the SNL skit "Whats wrong with Tanya?". The audience is supposed to be captivated by how he manages to manipulate all these characters despite being a psychopath, but instead it just becomes tiresome and insulting to ones intelligence.

I'm hoping this season they get back to the basics, get some better writers and focus on what made Dexter good.
Ah...yeah that sounds very much unlike the books, as best as I can remember them. The final novel (assuming the author didn't make more beyond the first run that I read), he just...sort of grows out of being psychotic, similar to the main character in the novel of A Clockwork Orange. I honestly can't recall if he had a sister or not in the books. As I recall, the tv show was very close to an "in name only" adaptation of the source material. The broad strokes of the big cases were there usually, and the main characters in a lot of cases were the same, but a lot of stuff was changed to humanize him more.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
From Wikipedia.

Dexter drives his boat into the hurricane in an apparent suicide attempt. A few days later in Buenos Aires, Hannah reads of Dexter's death. However, Dexter is revealed to have faked his death, and is now living under an assumed identity, working for a lumber company in Oregon.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Feel free to use it. I didn't invent it. At least I don't think.

Anyway to Dexter, are they gonna explain how he survived the hurricane or just pretend it didn't happen, or is Season 9 supposed to take place before?
Uh, I'm pretty sure the end I saw had him living on his own in a cabin in a forest. I think the hurricane was about him faking his death.