Dhani Harrison: 'The Beatles: Rock Band Is Going to Blow People's Minds'

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dhani Harrison: 'The Beatles: Rock Band Is Going to Blow People's Minds'

Dhani Harrison, a musician most famous for springing from the loins of Beatles guitarist George Harrison, has high hopes for the upcoming The Beatle: Rock Band.

"It's been one of my biggest joys to be involved with a company as great as Harmonix," the younger Harrison told musicradar.com [http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/dhani-harrison-on-his-new-album-his-father-and-the-beatles-rock-band-207984]. "And I'm not hyping in the least when I say The Beatles: Rock Band is going to blow people's minds. It's going to set a new standard for video games. I absolutely love it and can't wait for music fans and gamers to get their hands on it."

Either by virtue of a non-disclosure agreement or lack of information to back up his claims, Harrison doesn't actually explain why the umpteenth rhythm game to see release during 2009 might blow certain parts of anyone's anatomy, much less their minds.

Then again, his career as a musician is based almost entirely on his last name, so we shouldn't be all that shocked at his propensity for ethereal hype.

I have no doubt that fans of The Beatles will enjoy TB:RB but what about those of us -- myself included -- who see The Beatles as an important part of rock history, but also an archaic relic of a now-irrelevant past?

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
"What about those of us -- myself included -- who see The Beatles as an important part of rock history, but also an archaic relic of a now-irrelevant past?"

What the hell? How can they be "an important part of history" but also be an irrelevant relic?

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Spleenbag said:
"What about those of us -- myself included -- who see The Beatles as an important part of rock history, but also an archaic relic of a now-irrelevant past?"

What the hell? How can they be "an important part of history" but also be an irrelevant relic?
I agree. Not only were the Beatles perhaps the most important band in music history, their songs are still amazing. When you consider the influence that they had on today's musicians, you can hardly call them irrelevant.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
The Beatles? Irrelevant? What blasphemy is this?
More on topic, despite all the Beatley goodness this game will no doubt have, I fail to see how the game will blow anyone's mind, sure some people will love it and it will no doubt sell by the truckload, but how many rythem games have we had in recent years? I've lost count.
This will most likely be more of the same but with the afore mentioned Beatley goodness.
Now I feel like listening to the Beatles.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Hey... I like Dhani Harrison. He plays his father's songs very well. Of course, so does Eric Clapton...

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Dhani Harrison: 'The Beatles: Rock Band Is Going to Blow...
That's all I saw when I clicked the title in the "latest threads" column... I was slightly confused...

I don't think the 60's were irrelevant, I think there's a lot we could learn from the communal spirit of the time. Although the summer of love attitude it pretty far removed from those of us hooked on gory video games, I suppose.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Dhani Harrison: 'The Beatles: Rock Band Is Going to Blow...
That's all I saw when I clicked the title in the "latest threads" column... I was slightly confused...

I don't think the 60's were irrelevant, I think there's a lot we could learn from the communal spirit of the time. Although the summer of love attitude it pretty far removed from those of us hooked on gory video games, I suppose.
Yeah, the best lesson we could learn from that spirit is that it failed. And even they realized it after the 'summer of love'.

To be on topic, the Beatles spawned a Genre, but they by no means exemplify it, especially now. I can find simple rhythms and LSD inspired lyrics elsewhere.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
cobrausn said:
Yeah, the best lesson we could learn from that spirit is that it failed. And even they realized it after the 'summer of love'.
wow, how disappointing. although I don't know what I was expecting, what better place to find narcissists than a gaming forum

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
wow, how disappointing. although I don't know what I was expecting, what better place to find narcissists than a gaming forum
Realist is the word you were looking for. The 60's was full of Narcissists.

But then again, I should expect such hostility I guess. To criticize the Beatles is similar to criticizing Obama, since the popular view seems to support infallibility.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:

But then again, I should expect such hostility I guess.
I'm sorry, did you just say that YOU should expect hostility? Since when am I being hostile by making a fairly obvious observation that today's society is largely narcissistic?

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:

I'm sorry, did you just say that YOU should expect hostility? Since when am I being hostile by making a fairly obvious observation that today's society is largely narcissistic?
Actually your 'obvious observation' was that I was narcissistic, based off of the fact that I think the 60's was a failed experiment by people with possibly good intentions but all too human failings, apparently.

I read that as hostility.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:

Actually your 'obvious observation' was that I was narcissistic, based off of the fact that I think the 60's was a failed experiment by people with possibly good intentions but all too human failings, apparently.

No, I didn't intend it that way.
perhaps you read it that way because you think everything is about you?
in that case I'd have to turn around and confirm that yes I do think you are a narcissist. but it's not a hostile remark, it's a logical conclusion

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:

No, I didn't intend it that way.
perhaps you read it that way because you think everything is about you?
in that case I'd have to turn around and confirm that yes I do think you are a narcissist. but it's not a hostile remark, it's a logical conclusion
No, I think it was about me since it was about me. Since the quote of my comment and the 'gee I found a narcissist' follow-up pretty much point towards you calling me a narcissist because of my off-the-cuff remark.

There is quite a few different definitions of narcissism. Depending upon which one you meant, I'd agree with the statement.

But because you have used some pseudo-psycho analysis here to pose a silly question and answer it yourself on my behalf and then turn around to conclude something about me based off of your answer...

I'll not go so far as to call you a narcissist without more info, but your logic stinks.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
cobrausn said:
me me me [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism] blah blah lots of trolling and taking offense to harmless comments for no reason
so is there a song list for this game yet? i'm looking forward to Helter Skelter and While My Guitar Gentle Weeps

jaccy

Jul 14, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
me me me blah blah lots of trolling and taking offense to harmless comments for no reason
so is there a song list for this game yet? i'm looking forward to Helter Skelter and While My Guitar Gentle Weeps
wow, you come across as a really annoying person

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
jaccy said:
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
me me me blah blah lots of trolling and taking offense to harmless comments for no reason
wow, you come across as a really annoying person
can someone help me? I'm trying to change the subject and end this nonsense and I always end up getting blamed for it! this thread is about the fucking beatles game, so I brought it back on subject!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
cobrausn said:
well it seems i'm alone on this, no one wants to tell me specifically why i'm such a douche bag. i'm sorry i called you a narcissist, i don't know why that would be taken as hostile and i seriously wasn't addressing you personally. more so, I'm sorry we've filled this article's comment page with this stupid conversation.

now seriously, what songs are people looking forward to?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
cobrausn said:
well it seems i'm alone on this, no one wants to tell me specifically why i'm such a douche bag. i'm sorry i called you a narcissist, i don't know why that would be taken as hostile and i seriously wasn't addressing you personally. more so, I'm sorry we've filled this article's comment page with this stupid conversation.

now seriously, what songs are people looking forward to?
hey! I like you!

I really don't know you. xP

Cause I can see the future I'll tell the list that is going to feature in the game right here!

Across the Universe
Penny Lane
Helter Skelter
Yer Blues
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
A Day in the Life
Day Tripper
Iam the Walrus
Strawberry Hills
Hello Goodbye
All you need is Love
Get Back
Let it Be
Help!
Yesterday
A Hard's Day Night
BAck in the U.S.S.R
While my Guitar Weeps
Hapiness is a Warm Gun
Come Together
Octopus Garden
I Want You
And more...

(yes I'm guessing)

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
oliveira8 said:
hey! I like you!

I really don't know you. xP

Cause I can see the future I'll tell the list that is going to feature in the game right here!

Across the Universe
Penny Lane
Helter Skelter
Yer Blues
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
A Day in the Life
Day Tripper
Iam the Walrus
Strawberry Hills
Hello Goodbye
All you need is Love
Get Back
Let it Be
Help!
Yesterday
A Hard's Day Night
BAck in the U.S.S.R
While my Guitar Weeps
Hapiness is a Warm Gun
Come Together
Octopus Garden
I Want You
And more...

(yes I'm guessing)
Hey I like you too! I hope your powers are strong cus that's a great list.
It's OK, it's a computer system, I don't think recognizing a username really counts as 'knowing' someone but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt!!!