DIABLO 3: EVIL IS... Significantly More Tame :P

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Considering the mind boggling amount of D3 ads I'm subjected to on a regular basis, I feel it's worth pointing something out to the people responsible for those ads:

YOU HAVE LITERALLY NO SELLING POINTS FOR THIS GAME BESIDES THE FACT THAT IT HAS THE WORD "DIABLO" IN ITS NAME.

So all these poxy ridden ads are kind of a waste of your money. Anyone who's going to buy the game solely on the grounds that its called "Diablo"? They didn't need an advertisement to know about the game being out. And nobody who didn't grow up playing the first two is gonna give much of a shit about it just because it exists.

So mind at least *pretending* to have something worth pushing besides name recognition?

Let's brainstorm here.

You could... pitch it on the grounds that it has a really tacky real money auction house you guys all take a piece of! Wait, no that would make you seem like tools...

You could pitch it on the grounds that it has really obnoxious DRM that forces you to be online at all times and is plagued by hacking like a a whorehouse is plagued with STIs. Then again...

You could try and pitch it on the grounds that it's darker and edgier than most RPGs! Except wait, you toned it down so much that it could very easily be reshot as a Disney movie.

Huh... character customization? Nope, that's become an in-joke for the community.

Look, I'm drawing a blank. And unless you kids down at Blizzard can come up with something better than:

"Buy it! It's DIABLO! Remember Diablo? You used to play Diablo. You wanna play the exact same game but with: updated graphics, a tamer story, less content, bad DRM and a *really* tacky auction house. Right? Right?"

I'd appreciate you fucking off with the ad spamming.

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
How exactly is D3 a "toned down" version of the other Diablo games? Have you actually played it? There's a fair amount of gore.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Najos said:
How exactly is D3 a "toned down" version of the other Diablo games? Have you actually played it? There's a fair amount of gore.
He means it in a totally different sense. Besides, have you ever played Bulletstorm? Gore does not necessarily mean maturity. Heck, Bulletstorm is a game where you score bonus points for "mercy" if you kick a guy in the crotch, then headshot him!

Moriim

Jul 12, 2010
You're right, it doesn't have anything else besides Diablo. In fact, it's so much like Diablo that I'm still enjoying it despite all the flak it's catching.

Don't get me wrong, the AH and DRM is total bullshit, but that doesn't stop it from being a fun game to pour some hours into with friends.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Meh

I'm waiting for Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn.

Threads like these are still funny but its just getting a little stale. I think everybody has settled in their respective camps on how bad/good D3 is.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Emiscary said:
"Buy it! It's DIABLO! Remember Diablo? You used to play Diablo. You wanna play the exact same game but with: updated graphics, a tamer story, less content, bad DRM and a *really* tacky auction house. Right? Right?"
Yeah, I remember Diablo. I've played both of them, I didn't finish 1, though (because my save got devoured for some reason when I was about 3/4 in). But yes, I remember Diablo. This is the reason I'm not getting it. I remember how much time I wasted on it. After I realised how pointless it had all been, I wish I could have that time back. Since I can't (unless Blizz do offer time refunds?) I can only not play Diablo any more. I'll happily pour time onto other games, if I'm going to get enjoyment out of them, though.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
They could advertise it on the fact it has character customisation decades in advance of the competition. It's a shame that some combination of stupidity, misinformation and ignorance has made the gaming community lash out against this.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
Wow. Now its ads?

Despite all the flak D3 had from the get-go, I was always gonna buy this game even if I've always been on the fence about it. The graphic style, the new skill system, the RMAH, etc, looks very disappointing and not like the previous installments.

The only thing that kept me from buying it until now is the always-online req, because my connection is shit (just moved).

When I can finally buy (and play) this, I hope I wouldn't be as disappointed as I've felt with DA2.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
If you want dark and evil feeling, I wholeheartedly recommend Path of Exile. Got in the beta yesterday and there is just so much awesome in the game I can't begin to to tell you. Some parts are legitimately spooky.

No character customization at all though. No idea if they plan to implement it in the future.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
To be fair, the SW:TOR ads were just as useless.

"HEY EVERYONE! Flashy cutscenes and 'Starwars' is in the title! Buy it!!!!"

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Signa said:
To be fair, the SW:TOR ads were just as useless.

"HEY EVERYONE! Flashy cutscenes and 'Starwars' is in the title! Buy it!!!!"
It's more than a little ironic that they take so many steps to destroy brand loyalty (ignoring/belittling fans, "streamlining", alienating people with barely concealed price gouging), and then bank on that same loyalty to make them their paycheck.

"IT'S STARWARS GUYS! WOOT WOOT!"

"... you mean the same Star Wars with "midichlorians", racist fish men & the world's most blatant cradle snatcher? Oh, and whose lone plot line involves an evil empire of space knights fighting a ragtag group of good space knights? Thanks but no thanks."

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Some aspects of D3 seem watered down but I wouldn't call it more tame. It's more of a change in perception because we have grown desensitized to this type of imagery from countless other horror games influence over the years.

Moriim said:
He means it in a totally different sense. Besides, have you ever played Bulletstorm? Gore does not necessarily mean maturity. Heck, Bulletstorm is a game where you score bonus points for "mercy" if you kick a guy in the crotch, then headshot him!
The first time I saw the "Mercy" tag for doing that I about fell out of my chair laughing.

Bulletstorm really was a fun game in many respects. Too bad they used the weaksauce piracy excuse for not making a sequal instead of its poor overall sales and near total failure pc port.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
oh look, more bitching about D3, and now its the adds.

how petty of you.

if you don't like it don't buy it, and write Blizzard telling them WHY your not buying,(simply not buying it isn't enough anymore) other wise, get over it

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
why do so many people get up in arms about the story and the game looking tame? who cares about the story, the diablo story was always just and excuse to click things to death anyway. and regarding the gore thing: i distinctly remember seeing a monk kick the flesh off an enemies skeleton. While i have to agree that the game is a little more colorful than i would have liked, again i don't notice it after a while anyway and i kinda like having the enemies color-coded by difficulty(and just the names but the auras)