Diablo 3 in consoles is the better version - here is why

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
Downloading the demo on PS3. Blizzard, like Bioware, refuses to give PC gamers the option to use a controller. We paid $60 too.
It definitely fits the mode of thinking Blizzard used in making Diablo 3:

"PC gamers want to play Offline or LAN because it worked great in Diablo 2? Fuck them. Always Online.

"Players like good enough itemization that the game is challenging, but not impossible without the best stuff?
Rape them in the ass with awful drop rates, hilariously borked/useless stats on some rare drops, and add in an Auction House to make them more dependent on us."

Skills that grant the player variation for viable builds and manual evasion that give skilled players a bit more control in their destiny?
Better get rid of those too so that the player character's effectiveness is SOLELY determined by their gear, which we already crippled.

It's like they made a list of everything that made Diablo 2 great, and then set out to destroy it.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
krazykidd said:
The whole game just feels right . Blizzard obviously put a lot of work in this port .
On the contrary, this was the original design; they just ported it to PC badly.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
2xDouble said:
krazykidd said:
The whole game just feels right . Blizzard obviously put a lot of work in this port .
On the contrary, this was the original design; they just ported it to PC badly.
This is sad, but very, very true (or could as well be).

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
choreo said:
Couch co op's inclusion got me majorly excited for this game. So few games have local co op these days and it's a damn shame. Online play is great and all, but nothing beats having friends in the room with you enjoying the same experience..... whatever that may be...
And I have a 10 year old girl that loves to share game time with me. So I'm always up for some couch coop :)

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
I agree with 2xDouble. The game was clearly made with the intent to be run on consoles. PC just got it first cause we're "their core market".

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
Blizzard: Alright, so we made some mistakes, let's learn from them and customer feedback and see how it flies.
Gamers: ZOMG YOU WERE JUST BETA TESTING US!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
thebakedpotato said:
Blizzard: Alright, so we made some mistakes, let's learn from them and customer feedback and see how it flies.
They won't fix the mistakes for PC gamers.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
thebakedpotato said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-05-blizzards-road-to-redemption-diablo-3-and-reaper-of-souls

Judging by every interview I've read since the start of this year, that seems to be their primary focus and concern.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Been thinking of buying this game since I did like the first couple of hours of looting in Diablo 2.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
By the Great Space Butterfly above, this may find its way into my collection very soon, apropos of all the positive reviews it's getting. The local co-op is a big seller, though the lack of auction house and offline modes are the real stars of the show.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
thebakedpotato said:
WeepingAngels said:
thebakedpotato said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-05-blizzards-road-to-redemption-diablo-3-and-reaper-of-souls

Judging by every interview I've read since the start of this year, that seems to be their primary focus and concern.
You must have missed this thread.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.827843-Diablo-IIIs-Auction-House-And-Always-Online-Arent-Going-Anywhere

Diablo III's two most controversial features: the Auction House and the Always-Online requirement, are here to stay, says Diablo III's new game director Josh Mosqueira, who took over from Jay Wilson early this year. He does, however, admit the faults of both systems, and stresses that the team has taken massive strides to eliminate the necessity of the Auction House with Loot 2.0, and improve the game's online features to make Always-Online feel like a feature instead of a shackle.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
thebakedpotato said:
WeepingAngels said:
thebakedpotato said:

It is clear that Blizzard is trying to regain trust, but the task was clearly beyond the abilities of the original lead designer. The new one seems more in touch with the problems of the game, but it might be too little too late. Only time will tell, though.

Their efforts sometimes looked like they were trying to implant a prosthetic limb without removing the infected one first: a painful, drawn out process that would probably traumatize everyone involved.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I get the impression that the console version is simply the better version 'for now'. Keep in mind, I can't prove anything I'm about to say, it's just the implications from following the D3 forums.

- Blizzard has stated that PC is the primary platform for the game
- Much like how the success/failures of the PC release influenced the console development, it's success/failures will see to changes in the PC versions future. You aren't about to see a PC offline mode...but you could easily see some of the skill rebalances, boss changes, or loot concepts carry over.
- There is no guarantee the console version will get an expansion pack (could easily depend on their sales)
- Loot 2.0 (which may or may not get implemented on console) is essentially a complete reworking of itemization and some other mechanics to enhance the game. Console's have what you might call a Loot 1.5 update in that it uses some of the 2.0 concepts.
- Self-Found is a viable means of play on the PC version today thanks to the patches released. It'll only get easier with Loot 2.0. The PC versions ultimately offers more flexibility in gameplay preference.

The console version has it best right now. Which is how it should be since the game had extra development time to improve. Blizzard is likely going to support the game for another 3 to 5 years like they did with D2. Do you really see the PS3/Xbox 360 version of the game holding up to the PC version in 2017? Maybe. But my money is on the PC version in the long run.

Note: I'm not saying the console is a bad purchase, I'm just commenting that I don't feel it'll ultimately be the definitive version of the game as time passes.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
babinro said:
I get the impression that the console version is simply the better version 'for now'. Keep in mind, I can't prove anything I'm about to say, it's just the implications from following the D3 forums.

- Much like how the success/failures of the PC release influenced the console development, it's success/failures will see to changes in the PC versions future. You aren't about to see a PC offline mode...but you could easily see some of the skill rebalances, boss changes, or loot concepts carry over.
- There is no guarantee the console version will get an expansion pack (could easily depend on their sales)
- Loot 2.0 (which may or may not get implemented on console) is essentially a complete reworking of itemization and some other mechanics to enhance the game. Console's have what you might call a Loot 1.5 update in that it uses some of the 2.0 concepts.
- Self-Found is a viable means of play on the PC version today thanks to the patches released. It'll only get easier with Loot 2.0. The PC versions ultimately offers more flexibility in gameplay preference.

The console version has it best right now. Which is how it should be since the game had extra development time to improve. Blizzard is likely going to support the game for another 3 to 5 years like they did with D2. Do you really see the PS3/Xbox 360 version of the game holding up to the PC version in 2017? Maybe. But my money is on the PC version in the long run.

Note: I'm not saying the console is a bad purchase, I'm just commenting that I don't feel it'll ultimately be the definitive version of the game as time passes.
Loot 2.0 is supposed to reduce reliance on the auction house. The console version has no auction house so there is no need to reduce the the reliance on it. It is balanced without the auction house in mind. PC will never be balanced like that.

By 2017 it still may not have controller support. More and more people want to play with the benefits of the PC but also the benefits of the console and many games allow that. Stubbornness from Blizzard (and Bioware) is no longer acceptable.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
babinro said:

I get what you are saying, but the fact remains that Blizzard games used to feel complete and good from the get go (which all games should be by the way). It really is very sad that people that bought the game almost two years ago still do not have a reasonable implementation of one of the pillars of the game: itemization.

Diablo 3 might as well be one of the most amazing games ever by 2017, but I'm not sure I'll be willing to give my money to Blizzard anymore.

Yes, it could be worse, Blizzard could have abandoned the game, but they are not trying to fix the game from the kindness of their heart, they are trying to save their reputation and keep the franchise profitable in the future.

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Loot 2.0 is supposed to reduce reliance on the auction house. The console version has no auction house so there is no need to reduce the the reliance on it. It is balanced without the auction house in mind. PC will never be balanced like that.
And console version will never have any kind of economy whatsoever. While a lot of people ***** about always online and auction house there are actually people who like those features. People can still play self found on PC and people can use the auction house too if they like. It is like blizzard is catering to both audiences and not only the one who is making the most noice.

By 2017 it still may not have controller support. More and more people want to play with the benefits of the PC but also the benefits of the console and many games allow that. Stubbornness from Blizzard (and Bioware) is no longer acceptable.
Console version is very much different in terms of monster density and how targeting works. It was designed in controller in mind whereas PC version would be pretty much impossible to play with controller even if they ported that feature in.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Poomermon said:
Console version is very much different in terms of monster density and how targeting works. It was designed in controller in mind whereas PC version would be pretty much impossible to play with controller even if they ported that feature in.
Obviously they would have to give PC users the Console UI when a controller is being used. A UI that has already been designed and works.

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
I could have told you that simply for the fact that the Xbox ONE doesn't have online DRM anymore. OFC I also could have told you that simply because it's a console game and PC games aren't as good as console ones, at least for me, from MY perspective.